Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 12:13 AM   #1
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

nathan, the one who took apart my computer, can't put it back together. anyway, i'm here to ask all the kings horses and all the kings men, to help him put it back together. he doesn't know how the led, power etc little cable thingies go. he knows where, but not the exacts of which where. the number e210882 appears on the motherboard, but when i look that up i get all sorts of manuals for all sorts of motherboards, not just mine. if it helps it's an intel celeron processor, which is why i want MY computer back and not just my hard drive in his old dell.

pictures: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/DCP_4945.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/DCP_4942.jpg

sorry for poor quality, the camera is 6 years old.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ok, I assume he knows that they go here:

I think I have a similar motherboard lying around at home, or there may be something here at work, if so I will update the picture with the correct positions.
Unfortunately for you it looks like it might just be a case of trial and error if the motherboard gives no indication of what goes where.
Don’t be afraid that you will kill anything (apart from yourself if you start touching anything else)
I always start with the power and reset buttons, usually I just plug it into one of the many combinations of pins (it could be horizontal or vertical) and try pressing the button with every combo, or if im in a rush, I just grab a screwdriver and touch two pins together at a time until I get it right.... But allot of people don’t think that's safe...

Anyways, I will see if I can find out where those cables go, but it may turn out that you just have to live with a power and reset button, unless you can find out more about your motherboard...

EDIT:My spelling is craptastic

[ 08-31-2005, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
mad=dog

Hi,
In cabling with multiple legs there is always one to be specifically marked - leg number 1 (the one that's always there [img]smile.gif[/img] )
The HDD, FDD, Reset and Power LEDs along with internal speaker and posibly also onbaord temperature measurers all have those weird flat black one-line connectors. On these leg number 1 is marked with a small arrow halfway up on one of the sides. Examine them carefully and you will locate it - it's a small triangle.
Now of the motherboard corresponding connectors should be clearly indicated on the print. These will also bear an indication to leg number 1. Simply connect 1 to 1 on the correct connectors.

Remember:
1) Remove all power - don't just switch off (which you can't on ATX standard)
2) Discharge by placing a hand briefly on the casing.
3) Make sure everything is properly connected before you switch on.
4) Don't tear your computer up unless you have a gullible insurance company.

A small "resting current" in parts of the print will not kill the system - it's far worse. It can potentially ruin data or stall the computer over time. Always discharge.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

a couple of problems, I can't locate the motherboard part # or manufacturer so I can't track down the wiring diagram I need, I'm still using glasses that are about 8 years out of date, so even with very good light seeing the print is extremely difficult (I'm practically blind without them so removing them to work on it isn't an option) and I don't know if the images make it clear but the text is very tiny and overlapping (typical for a M-board of course) When I built my machine I had a wiring diagram from the manufacturer to work off of.

The case connectors I've got to worry about are the HDD LED, Reset Switch, Power swutch, Power LED, and speaker.

{edit} I've been using trial and error, but so far haven't had any success.

[ 08-31-2005, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 08-31-2005, 02:03 AM   #5
Zebodog

Do you know the manufacturer of the board?
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
a couple of problems, I can't locate the motherboard part # or manufacturer
Old 08-31-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Zebodog

That's not good.

Okay it looks like a Socket 370 to me with an Intel chipset. Just above your heatsink there is a chipset with Intel on it, but I can't read much else. Can you provide the details of what is marked on it? If you can provide the details of your Celeron, i.e. speed?

Also, just below the connectors that you need to wire to their is another chip that is market ****Logic? I can't make it out, but if you can provide details of that it would be another clue.

Usually, most manufactures put their name on the board somewhere and usually supply the pin configurations right next to the header connectors on the motherboard.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

A. Intel (R) 815
FW82815
L1180112
SL5NQ
INTEL (M) (C) '99
MALAY

B. SMSC
LPC47M132-NC
A0114-A8342
8H103594
American Megatrends (C) 1994

C. ST (stylized logo)
MSDFW040
K1
AB8210108
PHIL

D. INTEL
FW82801BA
F109TA11
SL5FC
Intel (M) (C) '00
Korea

does any of that help??? do you need me to read more?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
Zebodog

I've narrowed down the chipset, Intel 815EG based on the numbers provided but it really doesn't provide much clues regarding manufacturers. I've looked at a lot of boards with the 815EG chip, and most have a common pin config for the panel connectors with the exception of some obscure off-shore stuff.

What's real surprising is the 2DIMM configuration. Most of these boards have 3DIMM slots.

Align the board so that the pin connectors are at the bottem right of the board as you are looking at it, and try this:

1 A
2 B
3 C
4 D
5 E
6 F
7 G
8 H
9 I

Connect the power lead between 7-8 and see if you can fire it up.

I'm assuming that power supply works, is connected and the the board is functioning correctly other than the panel connectors. If that works grab the BIOS string number on boot.

[ 09-01-2005, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Zebodog ]
Old 09-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #10
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Any colored dot's around those pin's?