Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2002, 12:36 PM   #11
Neb
Account deleted by Request

MagiK, if we shouldn't fear losing our rights, then why ever end up in a war where we'll have bullets heading for us? If we don't mind losing our rights we might as well not defend ourselves and just let everyone conquer us.

And people SHOULD get carried away if this happens. They should get carried unto the streets to protest.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #12
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
[ Ahhh but don't you see? I AM a US citizen, and I HAVE been around for a while and I DO have a general idea what can happen. I just choose to be a bit more informed and possibly more aware of how things work in this country than some might. Fear is best left for when you have bullets hitting the dirt all around you....most people in the western world never know what real FEAR is. ahhh well it doesn't matter. (and yes Im generalizing here)
MagiK, big deal! I'm a US citizen as well, and while I haven't been around long enough to acquire your great and mighty wisdom of the world, I know this; the homeland battleground is the one that nobody knows happened until it's too late. Most people don't realize what this could do because they're too occupied with protecting themselves from scuba terrorist attacks even though they live in Nebraska and nobody gives a shit about them anyways! Afraid is a word I would use about the loss of my Constitutional, God-given rights! What is safety worth if you're not even safe from your own government, hmm?
Old 07-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #13
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
And people SHOULD get carried away

if

this happens. They should get carried unto the streets to protest.
I agree 100%

Old 07-18-2002, 12:40 PM   #14
Rokenn
Galvatron

Who said I was panicking? Would you have felt better if I had said "This concerns me more then the terrorists"? It seems you are more interested in arguing semantics then discussing the merits of turning the meter reader and the cable repair guy into spies that can perform warrant-less searches on a daily basis.

[ 07-18-2002, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Rokenn ]
Old 07-18-2002, 12:42 PM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
To me it sounds more and more that the good people of America are desperately in need of a leader who can think straight and not like a headless chicken. It's starting to look like Romania in the days of Ceaucescu, scary thought.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:43 PM   #16
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Quote:
MagiK, big deal! I'm a US citizen as well, and while I haven't been around long enough to acquire your great and mighty wisdom of the world, I know this; the homeland battleground is the one that nobody knows happened until it's too late. Most people don't realize what this could do because they're too occupied with protecting themselves from scuba terrorist attacks even though they live in Nebraska and nobody gives a shit about them anyways! Afraid is a word I would use about the loss of my Constitutional, God-given rights! What is safety worth if you're not even safe from your own government, hmm?
Chill. I didn't attack or denigrate your manhood. I stated MY position..thanks for allowing me my 1st ammendment rights....mayhap I should fear you now?

Or maybe you might actually read what Im saying and quit loading it up with your own fears? Please...look at what I wrote and read what words are actually there....and note which are NOT there.

For being all worried about our rights as citizens there are some here who might want to examine how quickly they stomp on others trights.

[ 07-18-2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 07-18-2002, 12:47 PM   #17
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Who said I was panicking? Would you have felt better if I had said "This concerns me more then the terrorists"? It seems you are more interested in arguing semantics then discussing the merits of turning the meter reader and the cable repair guy into spies that can perform warrant-less searches on a daily basis.
Exactly I would have prefered the word concerned. I realize it is not a very popular idea these days to use the correct words and with their proper meanings...but it is important. By using the wrong words and the wrong language you run the risk of sending the wrong message. SEMANTICS in the right place are/is important.

Oh and for the record, Im am totaly against the "TIPS" idea, and I will NOT vote for any public servant that succeeds in getting this implemented. I will also dos ome thing I suggest all the US citizens here should do....Call my Congressman and Senator to express my distaste for this ridiculous suggestion of starting a police state....what I won't do is say Im afraid when what I am is CONCERNED and DISAPPROVING.

[ 07-18-2002, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 07-18-2002, 12:47 PM   #18
Absynthe

I am in agreement with both Neb and MagiK on this:
1)There is no better feeling in the world than having a bullet miss you. Fear has it's place as a motivating factor for survival, but it can also be a paralyzing force that either stops action or causes you to waste energy on unimportant things.
2) Every American citizen should be deeply concerned that any branch of our government would suggest a program so fundamentally anti-constitutional. An ethically questionable group has been given power at a time when a serious breach of freedom is at least marginally arguable, and it is up to us, as citizens, to maintain the control over our government that we have an intrinsic right and responsibility to wield.

Old 07-18-2002, 12:51 PM   #19
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
I am in agreement with both Neb and MagiK on this:
1)There is no better feeling in the world than having a bullet miss you. Fear has it's place as a motivating factor for survival, but it can also be a paralyzing force that either stops action or causes you to waste energy on unimportant things.
2) Every American citizen should be deeply concerned that any branch of our government would suggest a program so fundamentally anti-constitutional. An ethically questionable group has been given power at a time when a serious breach of freedom is at least marginally arguable, and it is up to us, as citizens, to maintain the control over our government that we have an intrinsic right and responsibility to wield.
I agree with this. People shouldn't be afraid to the point of readying themselves for WW3 or the Apocalypose. But they SHOULD be afraid to the point of thinking about what's going on in their government and whether they should do something about it(As in starting up some protests.).
Old 07-18-2002, 12:51 PM   #20
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Chill. I didn't attack or denigrate your manhood. I stated MY position..thanks for allowing me my 1st ammendment rights....mayhap I should fear you now?

Or maybe you might actually read what Im saying and quit loading it up with your own fears? Please...look at what I wrote and read what words are actually there....and note which are NOT there.

For being all worried about our rights as citizens there are some here who might want to examine how quickly they stomp on others trights.
I am letting you speak. I just have no tolerance for people who will sit idly by and let this happen! I have no doubt that it will pass, because people are hysterical and have no control at this point. Congress will pass it to appease them, as will the Senate, Bush will pass it because he is a moron, and the Supreme Court will not speak up out of fear of being called unpatriotic.

Also, you said those things. I merely added them in for comical effect, perhaps you should read between the lines a bit? And if you'll note, I'm not telling you to "shut up" or "silence yourself" even though I have the undying desire to right now, because I do respect your rights. Perhaps you shouldn't assume so much out of me, eh?

And on a sidenote, if you had insulted my manhood I really wouldn't have given half a whit in caring. Being macho has no desire to me, and if someone calls me gay I'm quick to back it up by acting that way just to put them off guard. So, good luck provoking me, and have a nice day.