Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-24-2003, 09:09 AM   #1
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Anyhow, when I go back to try to play Wizards & Warriors, I get the Deep6 treatment. I have upgraded DirectX now to 9.0, and still get Deep6'ed. So.... one answer seems to be going back to DirectX 7.0, acccording to the forums, but.... I thought I saw at least one reply where you suggested that when you upgrade versions of DirectX that it might be helpful to upgrade your drivers as well. So, my question is: which drivers? Is there anything specific that I should look for?

I don't know the answer - ideas anyone?

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:32 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

It would help if we knew what video card he/she is using. Unfortunately upgrading to dx9 might be a mistake since it is rether new and most driver developer havenīt had the chance to develop specific drivers yet. If sheīs on a geforce card try the NVidia 41.09 drivers, they are the latest but still a beta (iīm using it and itīs way more stable than 40.72 though). I would recommend dx8.1 instead of dx7, itīs (dx8.1) better than dx7 and most newer drivers are optimized for it. [img]smile.gif[/img] While you are at it, update the sound drivers as well if possible.

Some other things:

*Try the patch. There is a new deep6.exe in that one and it might just fix this problem.
*What kind of deep6 error are we talking about? Malloc?
*What OS?
*Check the CD-ROM settings. Should be 32-bit drivers (if using win98 it can be 16).
*Check the 3D hardwareacceleration. Should be turned up all the way.
*Shut down all unnecessary processes running in the background. Hereīs a site that lists all processes in the task manager. Check which can be turned off. In win95/98 all but systray and explorer can be turned off, trickier in win2000/XP.
*Try setting the desktop settings to 640*480 and run the game.

OK thatīs pretty much all I can think off. Hopefully something will help. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-24-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 07:46 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

More information:

The Windows system on John's computer crashed quite badly the other night so he still has a relatively unfunctional computer which he's trying to reload everything onto, so... I don't have him working on this. I did download the latest video driver, although not the sound driver. I re-installed the patch. But still... no go. It loads to the town, but if I try to load a game or if I take new characters from the inn out a town gate, it crashes.

The error message I get is this: "deep6: tranrotidx translation mismatch".

I have Windows98, 191 MB RAM, DirectX 9.0, video: Xpert 128 (ATI Tech), sound: Creative SBPCI 16.

I'm not having problems with any other game, to my knowledge.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

No you wonīt have any problems with other games if you have this kind of error. This is not a graphic or sound error. Sounds like a registry error or perhaps a completely messed up file somewhere. Did the computer crash after you tried W&W? Have you tried it after the latest re-install? The re-install will clean out the registry quite nicely. All I can say is:

1) Try a manual install. Directions in the tech tips.
2) Drop *gasps* Activision support a line.

Iīll run this problem by the hubby when he gets home tonight.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
Detah
Dungeon Master

Has the problem been solved Wyv?
I would like to know his hardware acceleration setting, his Hz setting for his monitor, video card type and driver version, and his OS type.

Detah
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:02 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I don't know if the problem has been solved - she hasn't told me! [img]smile.gif[/img]

So either the problem has been solved or she's gotten busy with other things and is no longer concerned about this right now. If I find out, I'll let you know!

Wyv

UPDATE - heard from Ali and she uninstalled and reinstalled the game and everything is working fine now! Not sure if reinstalling the game was the fix, but she's happy!

[ 04-12-2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]