Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 04-30-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
Mercc
Dungeon Master

SO I have this rogue/fighter combo and for some reason i noticed he can not sneak attack. In his stats it gives a damage for it. I checked back with somne older save gamesand he did not have it then either. Any advice/suggestions/solutions?

Mercc
Mercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Are you doing it properly? For sneak attack to work you have to attack from the side or behind.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
Dave G
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There are two ways you'll generally get a sneak attack:
1.) The enemy is engaged in attacking someone else
2.) You are in stealth mode or invisible

It's not like backstab in Wizardry 8 where you just do it no matter what.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
wanderon
Dungeon Master

Isn't there an armor restriction on that too? Only works in light armor?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

you can only hide in shadows in light armour, you can still sneak attack in heavier armour, as long as you are invisible, by some other means, such as an invisibility potion
Old 05-01-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by timothy trotter:
you can only hide in shadows in light armour, you can still sneak attack in heavier armour, as long as you are invisible, by some other means, such as an invisibility potion
You don't have to be invisible to sneak attack. As long as you attack from back or side, it will work. And it is not restricted by any armor.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Mercc, if you're looking for the nastiest Sneak Attacker possible, you want to go with a PURE rogue, so that you can rack up the mix number of sneak attack dice.

A pure class rogue can be a surprisingly deadly character, all due to sneak attack dice. And you don't really have to have much STR. All you need to be able to do is hit your target. It won't really matter all that much if you're using a great 2H weapon or a nice, simply dagger. It'll be the sneak attack dice that will do the big time damage... except against certain boss characters who are immune from sneak attack damage.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

a good option in that case would be to use daggers, and weapon finesse, that way it would use your DEX modifier to determin what you hit, instead of your STR,which would i assume to be higher than your STR.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #9
Magness
Quintesson

Oh, absolutely, Tim. Dagger or short sword, weapon finesse, and max DEX is a solid way to go with a pure rogue that you intend to use for sneak attacks in normal mode.

By the time you reach HOF, you probably have some sort of STR enhancing item, and your STR will probably be decent. By then, one of the best sneak attacking weapons in HOF is the 12 Paces Long Spear. Its extra reach is incredibly nasty for a sneak attacking rogue. And even if you aren't in sneak attack mode, you can hide your rogue behind your melee wall and reach over them with 12 Paces and stab away with impunity.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
Mercc
Dungeon Master

I am using I believe +1 leather armor but what concerns me is that the button for special abilities is not highlighted meaning I have no special abilities and as far as I can tell, that is a special ability. I can hide in shadows, and I am attacking from behind while hidden and all that. Oh well - will have to go without that I guess.

I do agree that a rogue (pure) can be quite deadly. I created this party when I was in my 3F, 1F/R, 1C, 1W type pf party make-up.

mercc
Mercc is offline   Reply With Quote