Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 09:15 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It has come to my attention by way of three e-mails and one thread message that some of this forum’s host is having difficulty playing with one another. Let’s examine what is going on.

Everybody likes to win, and likes to create strong characters to play with. The problem is that nobody wants to be on the losing side, and so if a battle between clans is created…how will a winner be determined? There is not a way, if both parties can find a way to power-game and not allow any losses. Why then, continue to play?

Okay, what games do we have running that are successful, in which everybody is enjoying the action and no hard feelings between members exist? What makes those games successful? Do I have to point it out?
I doubt it, since everyone in here knows what I am talking about.

If you are RPG’ing with a person that does not want to follow the rules established by the clan leader or the game master, kindly ask this person in a PM, e-mail, or OOC message to play by the rules. If that person does not oblige, the game master or clan leader can decide that person’s fate in future gaming and clan activity. If that person is not a member of your society, but seems to be “spamming” your threads, or chasing you into every thread that exists, telling you that you are gonna die because his clan is the best or something…LET ME KNOW. I believe that once you “kindly” ask a person to take a chill-pill and they do not, yet continue to harass you…that is worth notifying Cloudy or me. We will ask that person to reconsider their obnoxious behavior.

Please…enjoy this forum. We are here to be creative and relax and write stories. Have fun and do not get easily offended if another player has an idea for playing that does not match your own. You are free to make another game, or close a game to any outsiders that you wish. Remember, post (closed) or (Open) if you wanna make sure that nobody screws up your private gaming experience.

Thank you for taking the time to read that.

Larry
[img]graemlins/stormy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] The Mad Modding Mage of Ironworks [img]graemlins/tgestar1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/stormy.gif[/img]

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 09:51 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

By the way...I am looking forward to your responses and/or questions.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:10 AM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

BAN BAN BAN
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:14 AM   #4
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

I think that sums it up pretty good [img]smile.gif[/img]
And I would like to add that if the other participants in the battle/thread say that you are 'ubering', ask them what exactly they are opposing and then don't do whatever that is..
It ruins the fun, respect everyone's opinions and views! [img]graemlins/wink10.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2002, 10:16 AM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

actually, people should have an understanding that the goal is playing, it is not winning
Old 01-30-2002, 10:21 AM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by 250:
BAN BAN BAN

ROFL!

Well, let me assure you that if you create a game, and somebody wants to mess it up with crap...you can ban them from your activities. That is fair enough, as it is your creation and don't want it messed up.

Remember to close games that you don't want messed with, and if somebody spams...

[img]graemlins/stormy.gif[/img] They're Mine!!! [img]graemlins/stormy.gif[/img]

Cloudy...I will be looking for your opinions on this. Correct me if I am wrong, here.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:23 AM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

hmmmm....Well, I can't figure out if I'm being 'fussed' at or supported here. LOLOL

All I know is that I get tired of certain role-playing where character change is all too rampant and, after several attempts to get said roleplayer to stop 'ubering' so we can all go back to playing regularly, said individual would not, so I quit. I don't like uber-playing. Then I'm followed around with explanations of how this individual is NOT ubering, yaddah..yaddah, but reacting to others. T'weren't but a tad ubering before said individual popped in and started giving his minions whatever they needed to survive/resist/regenerate. Also, clan wars have never been ONE individual telling everyone else what the rules were.

When the ALSB/HADB conflict happened, Avatar led his group and Azurewolf ours. I thought that was a GREAT battle. I really enjoyed it...a certain someone [img]tongue.gif[/img] ubered a bit, but we fixed that with our own posts in reaction to him. (and you know who you are, don't you hon? [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

In this recent case, the person in question was asked REPEATEDLY to stop 'ubering', claimed he wasn't and continued...so those on the opposing side continued as well. And maybe I should have PM'd you to complain, but I just want him to go away and leave me alone...He read, commented on and then disregarded as unimportant any attempts to get him to play within reasonable limits and continues to not set limits for HIS character while setting limits for everyone fighting against him. Some may be able to laugh this off, but I can't. The 'disadvantages' he gives himself aren't feasible. "Saying" you've lost constitution, yet still hurling unlimited numbers of spells and such PLUS changing your character CONSTANTLY is NOT in line with regular play of any sort that I've ever seen - even giving that people have different playing styles. What this person needs is an omnipotent opponent (perhaps a certain modding Mage? ).

I guess I've just gotten spoiled RPing with people who actually have reasonable characters with limits to their abilities and who follow the guidelines. Oh well...there's my input FWIW. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now...to go stir up trouble elsewhere.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

P.S. - I have been lurking about the adventures here and most are QUITE enjoyable. [img]smile.gif[/img] There really is a great group of talented RPers here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: DragonMage ]

[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
DragonMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:37 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
hmmmm....Well, I can't figure out if I'm being 'fussed' at or supported here. LOL

You are being supported.

And let's not mention anybody's name. I do not need to deal with hurt feelings because of public taunts and name-calling. Thanks for keeping it, clean...everybody that has posted.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Old 01-30-2002, 10:51 AM   #9
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Thanks, Larry. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And a comment to elaborate on 250's 'the goal is playing, not winning'...

Guys (and girls )...Don't be afraid to let your character get hurt or to show weakness. Allow your character to have to sit out a few rounds to recover or even get wounded enough to not continue. It's actually MORE fun that way.

Again, during the battle of ALSB v. HADB which turned into totally something else , several of us took injuries and I was even injured to the point of being on death's door at the ALSB temple and was taken in by the, then, enemy. AH! Just remembering that... [img]smile.gif[/img]

So be fair and reasonable. Also...shoot, this one should go in Cloudy's suggestions...we should have a thread to post our characters (or should that, perhaps, go at the beginning of an adventure thread). This way, you can't suddenly have items you didn't before, etc. This might help in keeping ppl honest with their characters. Plus it would give everyone an idea of who they are playing with or against. That way, also, with a DM'd storyline, this would give the DM an opportunity to tone someone's character down before beginning.
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
DragonMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:57 AM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I ban!

give me the hammer!!!

actually, you said it all. can I play with the hammer now?