Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Vedran
Lord Soth

TSIA
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Dungeon Craft is an open source game engine modeled on SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. Headed up by Richard Turner, Dungeon Craft is all the things that FRUA wanted to be. Dungeon Craft supports resolutions up to 1024 by 768, also allowing 800 by 600 and 640 by 480. It allows 8, 16, and 24 bit color depths in a variety of standard graphics formats including .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .pcx and .png. Levels, pictures, text- all of these areas have an incredibly high number of allowances and vastly increased sizes over FRUA. The best part is that it's almost 100% customizable. There is one drawback- it is not finished yet. But, what is usable is astounding.

-manikus
Old 07-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

I'm a fan of the goldbox games, but that was well after their heyday and FRUA's, so I'm not really familiar with FRUA.

Given what's available in the state of DC, a couple of general questions seem most appropriate here:

Could we find old FRUA campaigns and play them in DC? Would anything be different?

Could we make something that anyone would want to play with what's there?

How much scripting is involved in making a DC campaign? I realize it may depend, but some editors are more or less reliant upon user scripting.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Let's see what I can answer here.
Yes and kinda. Yes.
Absolutely.
Anywhere from none to a little for most designs to a fair amount if you want to simulate a telephone, etc.

-manikus
Old 07-21-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
Lucern
Quintesson

In that case...cool

I'm checking to see what's out there, starting with your links.

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

There's actually a pretty big FRUA community- with a yahoo group with about 500 members. The FRUA designs transfer into DC, but need to have the artwork added. Someone has already converted all of FRUA's art to a format that DC can use.The process is a bit tedious with a small learning curve, but doable. I am always willing to answer any questions and give any advice as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As soon as I get some free time, I'll upload my two designs. Both have been beta tested so should be playable.

-manikus
Old 09-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Well, I know I haven't been around much lately to spout off on these subjects (no internet again...); but unfourtunately: No we do not yet have ALL the FRUA art converted... but it is in the works.
The icons for enemy character types (like the warrior, the thug, the cutpurse (memory is kinda shady on the names)) as well as some of the sprites and smallpics (moving pictures and stillpics) are not yet available.

SilentThief

[ 09-16-2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: SilentThief ]