Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-08-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

this is one nasty bugger.. WARNING DO NOT CLICK ON LINK BELOW UNLESS YOU ARE FULLY PROTECTED AGAINST SPYWARE

(http://www.) "gigasearch.biz/?126" (just in case you click on it by accident)

this stupid spyware changes my homepage to the link above although i tried changing the settings everytime. Im getting annoyed already (actually abit pissed) [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] My homepage was originally just yahoo.com.

I tried using the traditional means of spyware removal which is basically adaware and spybot which led me to no luck. It still changes my homepage settings and added a annoying barlink to its websites.

I have redownloaded spybot and adaware with the latest updates on each of them. I have also Downloaded the latest in my anti-virus norton (thanks TDC). Adaware was able to detect some spyware thanks to its new engine but its still not enough since the problem still reoccurs basically changing my homepage.

Anywayz, I have started to beef up my security because of this incident having norton (thanks again TDC [img]smile.gif[/img] and zone alarm firewalls plus hardware firewall router. So basically nothing goes in and out without a warning of some sort.

Now, the problem is that i still cant seem to remove this blasted spyware with all the scans I have done. I need help big time there guys . Did any of you guys encounter that website link and know which program can remove that bugger? Since I monitor the inbound and outbound programs I do not think I am being hacked whatsoever that changes my homepage. Its spyware somewhere inside my HD so I need some good spyware alternatives for this one guys.

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... nasty! And even though I think I'm protected, I'm not going there [img]smile.gif[/img]

When you run Spybot, go to the immunization tab and make sure you're immunized. You can also go there to lock down your IE start and other pages so if anything tries to change them, you get warned and have the ability to stop it before it happens.

I'd also suggest getting HiJack This, another piece of freeware. It does detailed registry analysis and can help you clean that out.

I'd also go into regedit and search for gigasearch (and any other relevant phrases from that URL). That will let you know where it's hiding in the registry.

I'd also look into my startup folder and make sure I know what's running at startup. HJT helps with this...

I'd then google for gigasearch and see if anyone's got a set of posted instructions for removing it. Hmmm... I don't seem to be able to find anything on it, but I've got to run. I'll check back in later.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hmm, I went there with both Firefox and IE and my homepage didnt change, I clicked a few links in IE and nothing, sorry Harkoliar.
Whenever your homepage changes dur to spyware, it is almost always a registry key that is changed.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm.. when i reinstalled adaware and spybot, my problem was already there so when i did the immunization, i am not sure if it helped.

i did a search in the registry using regedit.. with the term gigasearch. it led to me the main folder in the registry of internet explorer. Now, i dont know what are safe to remove and stuff.. i am stuff . i did a search as well on google.. with no luck.

im a total NOOB with regeditor so can anyone explain to me how i can go about this?

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i did a double check on the regedit thing... i found a registry file that says "start page" with gigasearch html? does that mean i can safely delete it?? or i just have to modify it?

there is a wierd ab icon beside it.. i dont know if its normal or not..

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

another thing i was able to find the spybot lock homepage.. thanks alot [img]smile.gif[/img] .. but the problem will still be there. im hoping someone can help me out on this one. its in the registry as well as unauthorized toolbar i wish to remove. sometimes i wish there is a drag and drop (into the trash) solution for this one.

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-08-2004, 10:48 AM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Sometimes its possible to go to your "add/remove programs" option in control panel and remove some of those toolbars. The regedit bit is going to be hard to explain without details on what is there, ill have a look at mine, but since I never use IE there might be some spyware in mine.
Ill get back to you on that.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ok, first of all, back up your registry, you can do this by clicking "file" then "export", make sure you select "all" so the whole thing is exported, then you can just play around with it, but be carefull venturing out into other folders... Thats the best tip I can give at the momment.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:51 AM   #9
dplax
Jack Burton

Spysweeper notifies you whenever your home page is changed and you can then choose whether to keep the old or the new setting. It also notifies when new favourites and startup entries are added. It can also scan and remover spyware, adware and registry changes.
You can get it from here: www.webroot.com

I had a similar problem than yours except with lop and coolsearch related stuff. Running spybot, adaware and spysweeper while not connected to the internet, then running a virus check got rid of it. You need to disconnect from the internet because there might be a downloader virus with all this stuff (I had 15 of them) and if you are connected you remove everything and it shall just come back. For virus scans offline I'd suggest AVG.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

thanks dplax ... ill try your idea.. cheers!

Catch me if you can..