Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2001, 07:00 PM   #11
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, finished chapter 2. Took a long time, most of the games' quests were there, Trademeet, Druid grove, Demi-lich, Paladins, Temples, etc, etc, etc. So Now Im starting chapter 3 with my lone character. At this point, Im having a easy time. My fighting strategies are honed pretty well, basically a 2 weapon fighter using stealth and invisibility spells to pick off powerful opponents, backed up by excellent combat spells

Fighter 15/Mage 15/Thief 18 at the Beginning of chapter 3 (experience cap off, I hate that cap).
HP 107 ( I have a familiar), AC -7 casting, -11 fighting, all major thief skills at 115. (no snares or detect illusion).
Specialized in longsword/katana/warhammer/3 slots to 2 weapon style.
Uses Celestial Fury and Daystar in combat, wears girdle hill giant strength, helm of balduran, 2 rings of Gaxx, boots of speed, cloak of the sewers, amulet 5% MR, and Red dragon scale for melee armor.

4 attacks per round, 3 with main weapon and 1 with 2ndary weapon.

Major spells used. Tensers Transformation WOW! rocks in melee combat. Monster summoning spells and invisiblity and improved invisibility. With powering up with spells and such, I can get My AC to -18, and HP above 200 (but can't cast, melee only.) All saving throws are at 1.
I don't even use healing potions much, with 2 rings of Gaxx and Ion stone of Regeneration, I heal up in minutes, sometimes in seconds.

Any hard parts since last post? Not really. Have Admantium golems falling to my -18 AC and 4 attacks per round, undead dying to, well, anything, and most everything else to waves of summoned monsters and hiding/backstabbing.
Backstab, cast invisibility, backstab, cast invisibility LOL Works SOOOO well. On to chapter 3!
Old 06-06-2001, 07:06 PM   #12
jabidas
Silver Dragon

If you go to http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/ its the baldurdash page and there is a guide to soloing , Elmonster the solo mage kevin dorner did with the exp limited

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 12:09 AM   #13
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Ok Chapter 3 done on to chapter 4 the asylum. Nothing much has changed,

F 16/ M 15/ TH 20 HP 112 only thing different is i have amulet of power now that I use.

well Im sure you can beat the game yes with a good mage, summoned monsters really help in most areas, with the cap left on. Problem is, Baldurs gate gives too much experience on its quests and monster kills, you can level a solo character by chapter 2, so the rest of the game is simply defeating the needed foes and gathering the couple magic items you want.
You don't need to do any side quests, any fun stuff, you just need to do the basic stuff and get the good weapons and that makes the rest of the game very boring.
As I said before, If they had cut the experience of the game in half, it would have been alot more fun. I wouldn't have leveled a party of 6 before the Underdark. And this is with not even doing the Kuo-toan city nor the Demi-lich or unseeing eye quests. Nor did I do the NPC character quests. And still Maxxed out before Underdark.
I have no idea why the staff can't figure these things out, I sure know they played through the game and knew that the experience was too much.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:51 PM   #14
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, chapter 4 done, heading to chapter 5 and the Underdark.

Level 18 fighter/level 17 mage/level 22 thief. Still using my basic equiptment from the last chapters, 2nd time through is alot easier, I know the tactics to knock down the beholders and mind flayers very easy. The Fish city was kinda weak, going from dragons and such to that, a waste of a area in my eyes.

Old 06-08-2001, 02:49 PM   #15
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

On to chapter 5. Underdark was easy, cloudkill and acid cloud spells work just too well in the underdark LOL.
Out into chapter 6 now. Headed off to town to make all my zillion monty haul weapons, so now am equipted with Celestial fury and Crom Faeyr. Slew all of Drizzt's party, just to see what they had. Not much, the +3 warhammer Ageis Fang is nice, I can dual weapon that if I meet certain golems or something, The Mithril plate mail isn't bad either.
SO Im now Fighter 22/ Mage 19/ Thief 26 with 129 HP Only 9th level spells Ive found so far are Wail of the Banshee and Meteor storm, I had timestop but it didn't scribe sucessful, So I'll have to find another one about before I can use that in fighting. (Like I said, I let everything go through, no reloading for better chances, etc.)

Spells I really like so far. Cloudkill and Death Fog really help out with multiple foes and beholders. Mordenkainen's sword just rocks as a conjured item, It goes through opponenents like butter, less so for mages who might dispell it or such, but melee'ers are toast.
And for my melee, Tenser's transformation! God I become a melee machine with that on. Throw up a Mirror image, blur, tensers transformation, then equipt my melee armor, and im off to the races.. -18 AC, 250ish HP, and 4 attacks a round with Crom Faeyr and Celestial Fury.

And I still had trouble with the Death Knights in Demogorgons tome. Those 5 guys are super tough. Me and my 2 Mordenkainen's swords still had trouble with them.
Old 06-08-2001, 05:53 PM   #16
Artemis
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Go the Monk! Monks are great soloists!

With monks, how do you defuse traps and open locks?

Old 06-09-2001, 12:36 AM   #17
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Ok, game all done. Kinda crused through the rest of the game after getting crom faeyr.
Final stats,

Fighter 24, Mage 21, Thief 29 151 Hp. Experience was about 4.2 mil per level, so total earned of 12.6 million experience. Finished with 260,000 gold and a completely full spellbook.

Hardest battle. Id have to say the death knights in the demogorgon tomb. Those 5 guys hit hard, see through my invisibility easy, and are fast. I think those were the hardest. I had to retry them about 5 times before finally killing them.

Celestial fury, Crom Faeyr, helm of balduran, 2 rings of gaxx, amulet of power, belt of inertia barrier, boots of speed, cloak of mirrors, bladesinger armor, gloves of weapon expertise. Thats about it. The end.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:55 AM   #18
Sir Jaren Tor
Dungeon Master

It seems to me that everyone thinks theres an abundance of EXP in the game, but for the life of me I just dont see it. I manage to get everyone up to the level limit, but not usually the exp cap. Where does all the exp come from?
Old 06-13-2001, 11:31 AM   #19
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

I soloed the game with a kensai/mage my first time through..with the experience cap. Was alot of fun and not too difficult.