Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

This subject always interests me as I can always stun people with some hungarian words. Due to the nature of the hungarian language -it's agglutinative - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...:agglutinative
you can make some stupid words that are perfectly grammatically correct.

I like these:

take the word "boy" = fiú
his/her son = fia
his/her sons = fiai
his/her son's (whatever) : fiáé - e.g. whose is that? - a fiáé (his/her son's)
Now if someone has more than one son and something belongs to them you say: fiaié
Now if someone has more than one son and several objects belong to them you say: fiaiéi (I'm not joking! and each vowel is its own syllable)

e.g. whose books are those? - her sons' = a fiaiéi

if you want to know how to pronounce it: the i's are pronounced like the i's in "bin" and the "a" like the "a" in "dark" and the "é" like the "é" in "café" or "passé"

also, the longest possible hungarian word that I know of which is grammatically correct:
legeslegmegszentségteleníthetetlenebbeiteknek

which roughly translates as "for the ones among you who are least able to be made sacred/holy" you'll be pleased to learn the core of that word is "szent" i.e. saint/holy/sacred [img]smile.gif[/img]

so, who's next?

[ 06-03-2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 06-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:

so, who's next?
Not me, and I hope you don't mind me going off topic but I have a question. Would you happen to know which language the quote below is. I thought it might be Hungarian...

Enni inni van csak kedved
S elmenni a táncba
Bezzeg nem volt soha kedved
Szoknyaráncoláshoz
A négy garast a dudásnak
Azt is én fizettem
S te táncoltál én csak álltam
Senkise hítt engem.

If it's not Hungarian, then 1. really sorry and 2. does anyone else know? I know what it means, BTW, (roughly) just not what language it is. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-03-2004, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 06-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

It is indeed Hungarian [img]smile.gif[/img]

though "Zat" on the 3rd from bottom line should be "Azt".

Do you want a literal translation?

And why aren't you next?? I thought languages was your area and I'm sure Dutch has some interesting constructs [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-03-2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 06-03-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Oops, yeah, that was a typo.
Nah, I was just curious whether I was correct in thinking it was Hungarian. [img]smile.gif[/img] My choir has two concerts coming up and we're singing some songs from Béla Bartók - in Czech though, not Hungarian.

Edit: just saw your edit. Yeah I will some other time - right now I'm busy.
I do think it's a cool idea for a topic - will definitely get back to it!

[ 06-03-2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 06-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
uaciaut
Dungeon Master

In romanian, "fiu"=son. Romanian is, however, a latin language in origin, with many influences.
&lt;a href=\"http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/\"<br />title=\"Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox\"&gt;&lt;img<br />src=\"http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/thunderbird/thunderbird_blog1.png\"<br />width=\"94\" height=\"15\" border=\"0\" alt=\"Get Thunderbird\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt;
Old 06-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
uaciaut
Dungeon Master

In romanian, "fiu"=son. Romanian is, however, a latin language in origin, with many influences.
&lt;a href=\"http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/\"<br />title=\"Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox\"&gt;&lt;img<br />src=\"http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/thunderbird/thunderbird_blog1.png\"<br />width=\"94\" height=\"15\" border=\"0\" alt=\"Get Thunderbird\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt;
Old 06-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #7
dplax
Jack Burton

@Vaskez
Isn't the longest hungarian word:
megszentségtelenithetetlenségeskedéseitekért?

Old 06-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I said that one was the longest -I know of-, maybe there's longer. And the one you posted would be even longer if you put legesleg on the front and then it's longer than the one I posted [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
uss
20th Level Warrior

LOL, now I'm convinced.. the Estonian language has nothing in common with Hungarian, even though we both belong in the Finno-Ugric bloodline. How the heck are our countries related anyway?

As for something from my language.. I can't think of anything right now. I'll ask for some help. I'll be sure to come back later, I know there's something, though it's probably not nearly as silly as that leglesmegleshmeglesnack word that you posted. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-03-2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: uss ]
Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #10
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)