Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-16-2001, 12:53 AM   #1
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

anyone whos havin trouble killing the black dragon..dont bother with traps or huge offensive spells.... there is a simple way to kill the dragon
one spell is all it takes... DISINTERGRATE!!!
I dont no if it was pure luck that happened twice.. but i reloaded and re tried it again and it worked i cast the spell and the dragon disappeared....

has anyone else been able to get this to work??

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-16-2001, 01:24 AM   #2
Debaser

tell you what, i'll certainly give that a try when i finally get to that point in the game again. which is not going to be for quite a while, considering i haven't even talked to Aran Linvail yet.

if it works....then thanks. if not, then....you were wrong.
Old 10-16-2001, 02:09 AM   #3
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Only problem with this is that you'll also loose all the items the dragon is carrying. Iirc, that's the dragon that holds the cup in the elven city which you will need.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
Old 10-16-2001, 02:15 AM   #4
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

Hmmm - Well - I was always afraid of using Disintegrate because I thought all the target's loot might get vaporized as well (so the manual says)... I was wondering if you actually picked up any useful items the black dragon had???...

Is that the black dragon in Chapter 7? I had a surprisingly easy time with him, but only after I tried using:
SPOILER
...5 Skeleton Warriors in front to take the heat, a couple of Lower Resistances, and about 4-5 rounds' worth of Magic Missile from 3 magic-users, we took it out with no damage to us at all...though I probably would have tried Disintegrate, too, just to save a lot of bother, but I was SURE you risk losing the target's items...
Old 10-16-2001, 04:01 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The negotiations were pointless, the Dragon refused to listen to reason and there was no alternative but to slay it and take the cup forcibly from it.

Odin Magnus stood abreast with Imoen, and casted at will a Spell Trigger which contained 3 Lower Resistances while Imoen casted a Spell Sequencer containing Greater Malison, Polymorph and Slow.

The Black Dragon growled and shrugged off the Polymorph and Slow, its' defenses were up and it proceeded to unleash its' might on the tiny fighters whacking its' legs. With a mighty roar it flapped its' wings backwards and buffeted Keldorn and Anomen. Jaheira meanwhile, was trying to cast Lightning Storm.

Odin tapped his foot impatiently, why was it taking so long? He stuck his Staff of Magi into the ground and braced himself as Keldorn and Anomen 'flew' towards him and Imoen.

Finally! His Chain Contingency kicked just as Keldorn collided with him. With a oof, all four of them were hurled backwards while 3 small green blobs flew towards the Black Dragon.

The Black Dragon laughed at this seemingly weak attack when suddenly the green blobs impacted and lo and behold, it was revealed to be the dreaded spell, Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Clutching its' chest, the Black Dragon winced in pain as moisture got sucked out of it. Barely alive, it tried to approach Odin and his party for revenge when finally Jaheira finished her spell and in a flash, the Black Dragon was struck by lightning and died.

You can either buy the scroll or use a limited wish for a Chain Contingency. If you interested in more dragon slaying tips, there is a link in my signature.

This is my all time favourite screenshot. *LOL* I mean nobody got hurt except for the Wing Buffet.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Old 10-16-2001, 06:21 AM   #6
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

the cup is needed for the game so that doesnt disintergrate, as for everything else i honestly cant remember i havent played that part in a while and finished the game a few months ago

but if uve played the game through n just want to not waste your time on beating the dragon as it can be tedious...then disentergrate away

Old 10-16-2001, 06:25 AM   #7
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Why use disentigrate and risk losing good items? Use Mordenkainen's Magnificent Sword instead, it's a 7th level mage spell that summons an invincible sword, only two things that I've met so far can hurt it, Level Drain from vampires and Iron or Adamantium golem's breat weapon, it is immune to everything else and can hit magical foes.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:33 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Alternatively... you could use Finger of Death. No loot will get destroyed.
Old 10-16-2001, 06:34 AM   #9
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Yeah, but there's a saving throw vs death for that, no saving throw against Mordenkainen's Magnificent Sword.
Old 10-16-2001, 07:58 AM   #10
Darth Bob
Drow Warrior

All these supposdely "tough if you dont use the right staragies" monsters I found easy as pie, ALL the dragons (including the ones with no nomes in hell and WK) and the oter dudes like Demigorogn, and all of them, I just walked up and beat them with my warrior, with help form jaheria and Mins, but i used hardly any spells on them! So Same with black dragon, Didnt need summonded dudes, or powerfull spells, only a stout fighter and a big sowrd.