Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2001, 02:46 PM   #1
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Simple question.

Cromwell says (in the game) that its worth making the Crom Faer Hammer, but as he gets a cool 9000 gp (or whatever) out of it, I'd hardly expect him to say anything else.

On the other hand, if I do go ahead and make the Hammer I take those three items and concentrate them into one item. That means that ONE character is extremely powerful, but two others have their average damage drop by losing the items that they are using -- girdle, gauntlets, hammer of thunderbolts. Also the character who would use it is probably anomen, and as a cleric he doesn;t have the greatest Thaco....

Also concentrating the damage into one character means that if he/she gets stunned, dominated, etc, the party's average damage/round drops dramatically.

So which is best from a damage doing standpoint? Distributed (don't make Crom Faer) or concentrated (make it)?
Old 08-21-2001, 02:58 PM   #2
Gabe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The complete hammer gives you great bonus to streaght, meaning a bonus to Thaco. It also has the power to kill three of four tought monster types with one hit and if your worried about domation a helm or pendent that blocks mind control will stop it from happen, but if you feel that they are best spread between the other, it really up to you. But my I suggest that you make a new save try it and see which choice you like better.

------------------

The angel's MIA.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:58 PM   #3
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

I would say that it all depends on your play style/preferences. In my party I have one main fighter-type - Barabrian half-orc, followed by jaheira, Yoshimo(bow), Viconia (Mauler's arm), Edwin (sling) and Nalia (bow). So, for me it makes perfect sense to make crom fayer. But you have to decid efor yourself.
Old 08-21-2001, 03:00 PM   #4
Redblueflare
Galvatron

The Crom Faeyer is a very powerful weapon. It maxes out a characters STR to 25, adds 5 lightning damage, and kills trolls, ettins, flesh, clay, and stone golems, on a single hit. Unless you have a fighter in your party don't bother creating it. If you're worried that it's going to decrease your parties effectiveness just forget it. But if you do have a fighter in your party, give them at least a mastery in hammers, and max them out in two weapon style. In TOB you'd be surprised how effective the Crom Faeyer, and Rune Hammer +5 (A new hammer.) are when combined.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:07 PM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Is there any alignment requirements for Crom Faeyr? I'm a fighter who's GM in 2-handed and Minsc. I'm neutral good. Or should I give it to Keldorn and kick minsc?
Old 08-21-2001, 07:51 PM   #6
oldbittercraig
Elminster

no alignment requirements but you'll need someone proficient in hammer to use it...

Also, it is one handed, which means you deal out monster damage and can wield a shield as well.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:46 PM   #7
Nolek Psyphon
Dungeon Master

I also like to use one main fighter and I found that two weaponstyle, including the Crom Faeyr and the Celestial Fury, with 25 strength + haste = killing spree.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:12 PM   #8
deathknight
Drow Warrior

While it is true that you are reducing the dmg of your party by combining the gauntlets and the belt into 1 item you are reducing only 1 person (whomever gets the hammer gets 25 strength). I suppose it depends on your particular party if you will miss that str alot or not. There are enough belts of strength in the game that it didn't matter to me (I consider myself to have a very melee heavy party also so it would be a rare thing in my estimation if you couldn't afford to lose the gauntlets of strength). Oh and as for as anomen having a bad thaco I have not had any problems with that. I have anomen using the hammer (he is specialized in it) and he kicks butt. 25 strength helps that thac0 out a ton.

While I do think alot of people put too much stock in the crom faeyr it IS good and is worth making if you have someone who can use a hammer and is not giving up a real sweet weapon to use it.

oh btw 2 handing is rather nice having that str on both weapons but I really like using shield of harmony with it the most. It makes whoever is using it rather hard to take out of the fight thus he can create some major havoc.

btw to whoever mentioned giving the hammer to keldorn I would suggest giving carsomyr to him and giving the hammer to someone else but thats just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by deathknight (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old 08-21-2001, 09:14 PM   #9
trux

I think Crom Faeyr is a great weapon - if anything it's too powerful. There are other girdles in the game to increase strength for others, while the Crom greatly increases the strength of the one whom wields it. So you lose the Hammer of Thunderbolts. Who cares? You gain a far more powerful hammer. If Viconia is in my party I give it to her to wield, always with positive results.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-22-2001, 07:28 AM   #10
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

SPOILER

Its really helpful when you meet all those adamntine Golems in the Elven city, as it takes them asap....