Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2001, 08:17 AM   #21
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I found Planescape Torment a little slow. I loved it, but I tried playing it again for the 3rd time recently and I was bored stiff.
And I totally agree about roleplaying. I'm playing a female Neutral Evil Fighter/Assassin and I'm really having fun with it. Like that fellow Marcus whom you're supposed to get Edwin's documents from. I dont know if only Assassins have this option, but there was an option that said "Oh theres a fly on your neck..(kill him silently)"
I'm having loads of fun. I killed Embarl too.

------------------
Why?
Old 04-11-2001, 08:18 AM   #22
Charlie
Lord Ao

I got Planescape but man, the dialogue.....it was like wading through mud. I so much want to get into that game and I'll probably pick it back up when all else is done, but for me atm there's just way too much gassing, way too much.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:19 AM   #23
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Rudedawg, I cant help but think Wheel of Time when I read your post. Firstly from that thing you said about Sun Tzu, about a simple farmer defeating Samuarai with a quaterstaff. There was an incident like that in the Books.
Plus your signature Perin Lighteyes is rather obvious.

------------------
Why?
Old 04-11-2001, 10:11 AM   #24
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
But I have given him a proficiency in Quarterstaffs as well as Long Swords, because IMHO Quarterstaffs can be quite graceful weapons if used skilfully.
Just a comment - here's the description of the Staff of Striking, which is a quarterstaff (obviously!).

Staffs of Striking are made by the Gold Elves of Drelagara on Evermeet. The staffs have a life of their own and jump to attack in their bearer's hands. The elven craftsmen rarely sell them to other races but these powerful melee weapons do surface occasionally in Faerun. However, each attack made with the staff uses a charge, hence causing it to consume itself when no charges remain.

------------------
Old 05-01-2001, 06:03 PM   #25
Artemis
Dungeon Master

great thread...the role-play is where these games are exciting for me. i admit it is a little difficult to not get sucked into the 'optimized' approach to playing. i know my character would be more powerful if she, for instance, started as a kensai, dualed to mage at level 9, maxed swords, got daystar early, etc. but where is the imagination in that? i have to fight to resist the optimized approach sometimes...too much ultima online, where if you don't optimize you get your a$$ kicked, has bred that into me. but adopting a role and playing by your self-imposed restrictions i think makes the game more flavorful and challenging (and yes, without the restrictions, the game is too easy anyway). so i applaud all the elven stalkers, dwarven bards, and the drunken rogues of the game. the children of bhaal come in many flavors after all...
Old 05-02-2001, 01:44 AM   #26
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Rudedawg, I cant help but think Wheel of Time when I read your post. Firstly from that thing you said about Sun Tzu, about a simple farmer defeating Samuarai with a quaterstaff. There was an incident like that in the Books.
Plus your signature Perin Lighteyes is rather obvious.

Yup, I like his stuff.
When I read the scene where the kid takes on the swordsman, I thought of Sun Tzsu, so I looked through my textbooks, and found the passage. My notes reminded me that Sun Tzsu was reminding the reader that self-awareness is the greatest weapon.
My earliest PnP character (early 80's) was named Morgan LightEyes, 'cause he could see on the dark ( a good thing for a thief). It's been the surname for every character I've played since, a family of adventurers, (it was a running joke n our table-top PnP) both in PnP and CRPGs (as far back as Ultima & Bard's Tale)
Perrin is my fave character in WOT, and the surname is a perfet fit...

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-02-2001).]
Old 05-03-2001, 03:52 AM   #27
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Why cant you envision elves using maces? The drow priest use them.

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-03-2001, 04:47 AM   #28
Lord Shield

Besides which, it's only a game, not real life. Elves are NOT real. If you want to use things in a game, do so.

Old 05-03-2001, 11:51 AM   #29
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Yea cause whether you think they should have them or not the drow city has elves that use em on you. Imagine in real life if the swat team didnt wear bullet proof vests because the captain thought "hmmmm I dont envision terrorist using guns I think they should only have bombs attached to them while wielding a bowie knife"

------------------
Meet my lawyer.