Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-07-2001, 10:32 AM   #141
BG2SOA

Archeon where's the spoiler warning??

------------------

Don't mess with the Lich
Old 04-07-2001, 01:33 PM   #142
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Archaeon, you're lucky I didn't see that, but I can almost guess what you put there. Thanks for editing your post, because I would've deleted it for you ANYWAY and I wouldn't have been too happy with having to do it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be more careful in future, ok?

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.
Old 04-07-2001, 02:06 PM   #143
Epona
Zartan

Archaon,
Apology accepted - we have spoken on several occasions before and I know you wouldn't do it on purpose. I intend to let my thread about it freefall and will not mention it again - I was just hoping you would correct it before Memnoch deleted it for you!

Don't disappear, that would be unnecessary and you would be missed! Just be careful next time!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 04-07-2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 02:22 PM   #144
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just a general message to everyone - you're all more than welcome to post information here about ToB, but please don't include spoiler info if you can, since none of us have played the game yet. There are a couple of sites in particular that have posted spoiler info, if you are going to link to those sites please have spoiler tags on your post, ok?

Archaeon, don't be silly. Everyone makes mistakes, the key is to learn from them.

Here's today's info!

Throne of Bhaal
David Gaider (Senior Designer)
Romances: Anomen's is not longer in length, but it is longer and was more difficult to script because it has two separate paths, 'lovetalk' globals notwithstanding.

And personally I'm getting pretty tired of the whole claim at how 'unfair' it was for us to have only one option for female PC's. Sure, it would have been nice (great, in fact) to have more options...but there are just as many guys out there wanting Nalia or Mazzy to be included (if not every NPC in the game) as romances as there are girls who want another option besides Anomen, and believe me...everyone has a different idea on who would be more 'suitable'.

It'd be great if we could accommodate every player, but the plain fact is we only had time for four romance stories, period. We had wanted to include a fifth romance (Haer'Dalis, in fact), but just didn't have the time to complete it. I'm happy that we got four in with the resources we had (it is, after all, just an added bonus and not a focus of the game), and I'm happy with how Anomen's romance turned out. And, yes, Anomen's not for everyone...but neither is Viconia, Jaheira or Aerie.

Considering the time span of the expansion, fitting a new romance into it is hardly feasible. It's more important, I think, to bring the four romance plots we have to a satisfactory conclusion. As I said, it would have been nice to do more, but there's no satisfying everyone.

Well, there you go. While many might agree, many would also disagree. I've heard from fans who enjoyed Anomen thoroughly just as often as I've heard from those who hated him. People's tastes on something like this are very personal...I imagine that even had we done one or two or even three more romances there would still be those who would be incredulous at our choices.

Oh, I know. I accept the criticism and know where people are coming from. Everyone has a different idea on what they'd like to see in the game, and romances are no different. Personally, I think a lot of the reaction to Anomen comes from the fact that he's the only choice...some people were obviously expecting to have an opportunity for romance with every character.

And, again, that would have been nice to try. Had it been a focus of the game, maybe we would have gone that route...darn it, though, the game has to go and be an adventure instead of a romance.

Thanks for your comments, though. I always love passing along these posts to James and Kevin...next time we dabble in this kind of thing, maybe we'll approach it a bit differently. Who knows?

Updated NPC sounds: A few of the characters get some updated sounds...Nalia, in particular, was one I wanted to alter very badly, since as you point out she's hardly the naive little mage/thief she started out as. Didn't have room to change all the characters but we got the important ones. So no more 'For the needy!'

More dialogue and the book: We've got lots of new dialogue for Imoen in the expansion, which is nice as we would have liked to have had Imoen talk more in BG2 after you rescued her. If you're wondering if we're adding dialogue to her for BG2 itself, though, the answer is no...just the expansion.

As for the book, if you didn't like the first two you might still want to check out the Throne of Bhaal BG book when it comes out...our very own Drew Karpyshyn (one of the writers on ToB) is writing it this time around.

------------------
Old 04-07-2001, 02:26 PM   #145
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

More and more info, especially for you guys who want to play EVIL!!

Throne of Bhaal
Mark Darrah (Lead Programmer)
Importing a BG1 Mage into Throne of Bhaal and choosing a Wild Mage kit: They should be able to.

Though as I write this I realize that it hasn't been tested.
Dave Gaider (Senior Designer)
Familiars getting 1D6 damage and beefing them up for TOB: That rabbit is just wack. When I was going through the familiars for their upgrade, the rabbit had all sorts of strange stuff I don't remember it having last time I looked. Fire damage? Yeesh. Code creep, I guess. As far as the individual attacks go, no...they were never set out to do 1d6 damage each. It depended on the creature type. The cat should have an attack though.

Well, I won't go into the gross details of what's being done with the familiars, but they are being powered-up a little overall. Keep in mind that's it's still a small extra and a 1st-level spell...we're not looking to make them into monsters, here.

HP's are being increased, resistances that they had are increased, plus they get either a new spell-like ability (or two), better attacks or better skills (each of the neutral animals now has one thief skill that they are a master in).

But for details on exactly what's what, you'll have to see in the game itself.

More evil options: Right now, we're trying to include as many real evil options as we can. I know personally I've been adding more 'evil' replies into dialogue...sometimes just for effect, sometimes a path of its own.

Some guy: "Excuse me, sir...I would not disturb you, I know how powerful you are and I...I would not think of, uhhh...but I need your help! I beg you!"

1) "Certainly, what is the problem?"
2) "Is there a reward involved?"
3) "Yeah, well, things are tough all over. Take a hike."
4) "Let me put you out of your misery, then, fool." (Attack)

Stuff like that. As far as the game overall goes (including the ultimate ending), let me just say is that we're keeping all options (including evil ones) open.

Having very crowded areas: Actually, we've found an OK way of doing it, recently.

We have the ability to keep a certain number of sprites 'on-screen' at any one time. As soon as they go off-screen, they DestroySelf. So it's a constant re-spawning process. On a decent-level processor, you can get quite a crowd without too much speed-loss.

Thing is, we have to keep min-spec machines in mind, as well, so we're always going to have a limitation on the number of animations that can be processed by the computer at any one time. If you have a big area loaded in (like, say, Waukeen's Promenade) you have to account for all the 'placed' characters that aren't just random crowd members, as well...and that takes up a lot of processing power, as well.

That said, we've got some spectacular mass-combat situations in store for you guys. Imagine being able to keep 20 opponents on-screen constantly. Blow away 5 soldiers, here come another 5 charging in from off-screen...it's pretty intense.

But you'll have to see it for yourself, I'm sure.

------------------
Old 04-07-2001, 02:29 PM   #146
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

LOL!

4) "Let me put you out of your misery, then, fool." (Attack)

I like this....I like this.....

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 04-07-2001, 02:34 PM   #147
BG2SOA

"Take a hike" I like that

------------------

Don't mess with the Lich
Old 04-07-2001, 11:01 PM   #148
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

*BUMP*

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 04-08-2001, 02:43 AM   #149
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

oh, let me bump it to

------------------
Old 04-08-2001, 05:22 AM   #150
Entreri
Manshoon

this is a big post , a record I think. I just want to be a part of it !!

Evil rules !!!!! Take a hike !

------------------

Maybe it's because I hate drows more than I hate Humans - Jarlaxle to Entreri