Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2001, 06:43 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Now that I am a little bit stronger, I would like to give Firkraag a go again. I know I asked this question before, but cannot find the post with the answers. So please help me with suggestions on strategies to kill him. BTW, my party consists of my main character Paladin, Minsc, Anomen, Jaheira, Aerie and Imoen. I remember from previous posts some people saying something about setting traps. How exactly do you do this and where do you place the traps in his room (do you hang around and watch or set traps and run?) Thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2001, 06:54 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

If you have the spell lower resistance, try to cast a couple from Aerie and Imoen, follow by as many magic missiles you have (single, but prefer spell sequenced ones). When the mages are not casting spells, have Imoen fire arrows and Aerie sling bullets at Mr Red. Anomen should cast many cleric protective spells on other members, or cast holy smite or bolt of glory. Jaheria should have summoned a couple of fire elementals to act as distractions for the dragon (yes he is immune to fire based attackes, but so are they....I think). She can also cast a couple of insect plagues to annoy the dragon. As for the paladin and Minsc, they should have decent armor and weapon by now, so just let them go in close and hack away (same for Anomen and Jaheria when they ran out of spells, but I prefer to have them block between the dragon and the mages should the first line fighters get wing-buffet).
Old 01-28-2001, 06:56 PM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

And use spacebar often!!
Old 01-28-2001, 07:15 PM   #4
Ladyzekke

Accord - unfortunately it seems only Aerie has Lower Resistance, perhaps I should go find one and have Imoen learn it as well. Right now, Aerie has four or five of them ready to go. Should I just have her fire one after another on him? Does Pierce Magic or Breach do anything on the dragon? Also, which protective spells would you have Anomen to use? Hmm, I'll try that Fire Elemental with Jaheira. Also (sorry to pound you with questions!), which fire protection spell is the best? I get confused because there seems to be fire shield, fire protection, fire resistance. Which one to use? Seems the one that lasts the longest would be the better one I don't know. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-28-2001, 07:19 PM   #5
Ertai, Wizard Adept

When i beated firkraag, i simply casted many breach & pierce magic on him to remove his protections while hacking with Minsc and Keldorn. I summoned some beasties to distract him (wizard eye helps a lot, its immortal).

About protections, i dont know very well but the shields only grant you 50% fire res. I would look at the others and choose the one with the best relation between duration and fire resistance given.

LUCK !!! (sure youll need it)

Old 01-28-2001, 07:38 PM   #6
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Regarding cleric's protective spells, try:
1) Bless
2) Chant
3) Resist Fire/Cold or Protection from Fire
4) Defensive Harmony

As for the mages, having 4~5 lower resistance is more than enough, though I personally prefer to have at least two mages casting simutaneously at a target (the effects are cumulative and should one mage get distracted, the other can still pull the spell off). It should still be fairly quick to cast from one person, provided the dragon is still "in blue" when the mage is chanting the 1st spell (ie. force attack).

For the fire protection spell, I recommend the front liners have "Protection from Fire" casted from Anomen, that's suppose to give 80% resistance. The benefit of the fire shields cast by mages is that attacker also suffer fire/cold damages, not sure if this will be applicablt for the red dragon.

As Ertai, Wizard Adept mentioned, breach and pierce magic works fine in dispelling the dragon's protection spells. With that in mind, other spell protection removing spells such as pierce shield should also work.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2001, 07:50 PM   #7
Charlie
Lord Ao

To be honest I had no big issue with him. He bashed me about a couple of times...sure.
Third time I circled him, I think I hit him with one silence...he just stood there gobsmacked. I'm not sure he even attempted a physical attack on me. My team laid into him and he done a belly flop.....end of.
Old 01-28-2001, 08:04 PM   #8
turbovee
Elminster

Ladyzekke: I summoned a couple of elementals to attack him from the back. This made him turn around and face the right side of the screen so that all of my characters could attack from the back and avoid the breath and wing buffet attacks. Cast a lot of magic missiles, pierce magic, breach, insect plague and hacked away with my fighters. He was dead before he could turn back around. I did this with a fairly average (no cheats) party. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2001, 08:37 PM   #9
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

LadyWendy, try the cleric spell Magic Resitance on him before you fight. Its not considered an offensive spell to him so he doesnt attack. It lowers his resistance significantly. One spell NOT to throw- disintegrate! It works only too well, the main loot goes with it as I uhhh found out. Good luck and beat the f*** out of him
Old 01-28-2001, 08:44 PM   #10
Ladyzekke

Thanks everyone! Writing all this down. One of these combinations HAS to work! I'm definitely going to try the elemental thing, it would no doubt help if I could get him to turn his back! Charlie, silence eh? Never thought to try that but I'll also give that a shot. Turbovee, does insect plague take away all his attacks (wind buffet, etc.?)