Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2001, 08:06 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

While reading both "Salemn's Lot" and "It" by Steven King, I had to turn all the lights on, and eventually quit reading when alone at night! These are the only two occassions when I've had this experience.

Also, the movie "Silver Bullet" scares the crap out of me!

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 08:22 PM   #2
Moni

Too funny! When I read the title of the thread the first book that came to mind was "Salem's Lot".
When I read it, I was a new mother getting up every three hours of the night for feedings. During those feedings, I kept every light in the house on. I haven't read "It" yet, but doubt that I could be scared so easily by a book, being twenty years older.

When I was seventeen, that stupid movie "Phantasm" had me sure that those little brown-robed mutants were around every corner of my apt. *chuckle*

------------------

The best thing about karma is that you create your own.

Pets Need Love Too
Old 10-28-2001, 10:13 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Ronn Bman, try reading "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. The BEST, and also scariest, book I have ever read. You won't regret reading it either, buy it!! as it is just unique unto itself, hard to put into words, again, READ IT!! Just one book, not a series, btw.

------------------
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 07:20 AM   #4
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

I read Salem's lot when I had the flu a few years ago. I remember being sat in my bed and feeling very miserable and sorry for myself, and getting very bored of daytime T.V. so I went in search of something to read to take my mind off things. My sister was a big King fan and her bookcase was crammed with his titles. It just happened to be Salem's Lot that my finger rested on.

Flu-induced delirium and horror turned out to be an interesting combination. I couldn't put the book down, finding myself glued to it with a morbid fascination. It only took me a couple of days to finish the book, and when I had, I certainly made sure my curtains were properly closed!

Though I've not read much horror, I would say this is one of the most chilling books I've ever read.

------------------

Paladin in the court of Lady Lioness

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 10-29-2001).]
Sharpedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 09:54 AM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

"It" by Stephen King scared me to death when I read it.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 10:15 AM   #6
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Yes, "IT" and "Salem's Lot" definitely creep me out! But I LOVE them anyway. "The Shining" is pretty bad, too. *shudders* OH! And "Sun Dog" (from, I believe, his Four Past Midnight) was spine tingling, as well.

However, since reading Salem's Lot as a child, I've ALWAYS kept my windows covered. LOL! Silly, I know, but my hair would turn completely white and I'd never sleep again if I rolled over and saw someone/someTHING looking in my window.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 10-29-2001).]
DragonMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 10:17 AM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

At this moment, I think "The Stand" by Steven King holds more fear! Loved "It" though!

------------------
Still The Most Humbly Prideful (?) Member Of The Illuminati!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 10:32 AM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
At this moment, I think "The Stand" by Steven King holds more fear! Loved "It" though!

"The Stand" is my favorite Stephen King book. I also enjoyed the mini-series, but it didn't come close to the book. It's implications today are scary in a non-horror kinda way

Back to "Salemn's Lot", the weird thing is that the movie has no effect on me. I don't find it scary at all. Everytime I see it I expect Starsky to come driving up in that red hot rod with the white stripe That's one reason I really didn't expect the book to do much for me, but I was on a SK reading jag, and it was the only one availible I hadn't read yet. I'm glad I took the chance.

------------------

"Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
Ronn_Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 05:57 PM   #9
AliCat
Drow Warrior

Definitely "Salem's Lot" for my scariest. I read it when I was fifteen, finishing at something like two or three in the morning. The light stayed on the rest of the night. We had no curtains on our windows, as that side of the house faced out into the woods.

The fact that that part of my parents' house still has no curtains still bothers me -- have this vision of vampiric children's faces rising up outside... shiver!!!
AliCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 06:40 AM   #10
Lifetime
Red Dragon

LOL Alicat..Whenever I raise my blinds I always half-expect to see a floating head staring at me through the window at night. I picture a woman with blood on her face, but whatever floats your boat
I shall go read this Salem's Lot..seems highly recommended.

------------------
No-Name Face
Lifetime is offline   Reply With Quote