Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: This city deserves a better class of criminal...

Right, I agree. I am well aware it's the theatre that will be prosecuting, but I can bet that the people at DC laughed about what people do with their characters and how much the movie has made an impression. Of course he's an idiot (or even a joker ) for thinking he'd get away with it.

I just don't feel there's a need to inject this sobering line about how there's no humour in it at all, and how felonies aren't funny. That's not the point. He of all people is paying for it now, and probably regretting what he did. Whether he gets a slap on the wrist or a hefty penalty is his business and his burden. It does not escape the fact that it is funny to hear about and probably funnier to witness - when this happend even the news channels played this story under their funny segments and talk show hosts used it in their monologues to make people laugh.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Well, I'll speak for myself on how I felt about it. To a degree it was slightly humorous, but moreso I found it kind of sad. At 20, he should have known better. And Bungleau's got it right, it's a legal issue not a civil issue, so the kids going to court. And you can bet he'll owe for the damage he caused in the process.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Just when I thought I was having a break from studying for my midterms... LOL

Initially they were probably thinking that since they are young, they will only get slaps on the wrist... but ignorance of the law excuses no one from compliance therewith.
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
In your opinion, of course. I find it funny, as did the OP. Sometimes you have to sit back and not take things so seriously, I mean come on, he wasn't slitting people's lips with a knife like in the movie. He dressed up as a character, stole some posters, all the while in joker getup, which was indeed an obvious prank. Was he an idiot to push it? Yes. But I doubt that he will go down for this, I wouldn't prosecute someone that is in fact, promoting my movie even if it was a stupid thing to do. I can bet that the people at DC comics got a good chuckle out of this. Even if he is prosecuted and jailed (which he will most likely just be fined) I will still shake my head and laugh as will countless others.
Stealing property is not a prank, it is a crime. The fact that he dressed like a movie character doesn't make his actions any less illegal nor any more humorous.

If he wanted to pull an RP prank, he could have dressed up and acted out in the lobby without stealing property. It would have still been rather foolish, but at least he wouldn't have broken any laws.

The fact you view these actions as a funny prank mirrors exactly what is wrong with the situation - that people view felony theft as "harmless" because of what was taken.

Why so serious? Because some members of our culture desperately need a healthy dose of reality. This is no funnier than the group sabotaging the support forum in order to trigger seizures among the members. Actions like these are not funny, they are criminal. As for sitting back and lightening up, that's good therapy when things are happening beyond your control - NOT when your OWN actions cause harm to others. That's when it's time to sit back and actually think about why your actions were wrong and what can be done to correct the grievance you have caused. It is also time for others to reflect on the consequences as well and - if they are wise - learn from the mistakes of others instead of laughing them off.

BTW, there is nothing in the OP to indicate FirestormAlpha thought the incident was funny.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Dressing as Joker in public where everybody will notice you and then try stealing something. Either he's a lunatic or a complete moron.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 AM   #16
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post

I will also shake my head and probably laugh, but inside that head, thoughts will be going "gods, don't let my kids be this stupid"....
Sums it up just right for me.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
Stealing property is not a prank, it is a crime. The fact that he dressed like a movie character doesn't make his actions any less illegal nor any more humorous.

If he wanted to pull an RP prank, he could have dressed up and acted out in the lobby without stealing property. It would have still been rather foolish, but at least he wouldn't have broken any laws.

The fact you view these actions as a funny prank mirrors exactly what is wrong with the situation - that people view felony theft as "harmless" because of what was taken.

Why so serious? Because some members of our culture desperately need a healthy dose of reality. This is no funnier than the group sabotaging the support forum in order to trigger seizures among the members. Actions like these are not funny, they are criminal. As for sitting back and lightening up, that's good therapy when things are happening beyond your control - NOT when your OWN actions cause harm to others. That's when it's time to sit back and actually think about why your actions were wrong and what can be done to correct the grievance you have caused. It is also time for others to reflect on the consequences as well and - if they are wise - learn from the mistakes of others instead of laughing them off.

BTW, there is nothing in the OP to indicate FirestormAlpha thought the incident was funny.
But you see this is where the danger lies. This guy is obviously no hardened criminal. We cannot nab all these acts with the same brush, else we become a society of black and white. There are shades of grey, and that is absolute. I feel like you strongly disagree with his actions, I too feel like he's a fool, but a fool can be funny. This is why judges are human rather than machines who decide one of two outcomes.

When we color our objectivity with our own personal beliefs, morales and conditioning we begin to impose them upon situations, almost instantly resulting in a set judgment. The fact still remains that this was comical, and, as much as you'd like others to see it from your personal perspective, the headlines still read like "Joker steals posters" rather than "Kid commits theft". It's eyecatching, mindboggling, interesting and of course, funny.

I've already acknowledged the facts, he messed up, and I totally agree he should have acted out in the lobby because then it would have been truly harmless. This guy would do well in an theme park on the Batman ride where The Joker appears or something. Maybe he'll get a job offer from all this. Hell, Paris Hilton got publicity from a sex tape and a few minutes in jail. Thus, the unpredictability within these shades of grey.

The irony of the threads title "This city deserves a better class of criminal" struck me as humourous, since no city would ideally want any class of criminal, and that Firestorm was possibly shaking his head and chuckling at the idiocy of it all saying "we need a better criminal than this" lol. The OP then stated he found it slightly humourous. *shrug*

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 07-31-2008 at 01:49 AM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:20 AM   #18
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I took the thread title directly from "The Dark Knight" IIRC it was one of Heath's lines. Overall though, I'd prefer that this thread not go the way of debating moral absolutes vs. moral relativity. I personally believe in moral absolutes. Though there are some areas that are a little tough to hash out. To say there are no absolutes, is itself an absolute statement, thereby negating itself.

If you want to turn this into a debate, I'm not gonna raise a fuss, but I'll stay out of it. I'm not really the best at curbing my emotional responses.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 07-31-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Gods. I just wrote multiple pages responding on this, and I think it's beating a dead horse. Let me sum up:
  1. It's not obvious that he's a hardened criminal or not. Sorry... not enough information available. We don't even know if he's an axe murderer or child rapist. However, theft isn't in the same category as those crimes.
  2. He committed an illegal act. Whether on his own, or whether fueled by outside substances (alcohol, peer pressure, whatever), it was illegal. And stupid.
  3. The consequences of that act will stick with him for life, and may eliminate some possible futures for him.
  4. To Cerek's point, he undoubtedly didn't realize that it would stick with him for life. Ignorance of the long-term consequences of one's actions is a sad thing, and is far too prevalent today.

Meh. Time to go get some M&Ms at the cafe...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #20
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Hmm, I'm not really up for a long post today, but I'll admit to finding it amusing. The judicial response, however, I do not...

I thank my lucky stars the judicial system in Finland uses a little common sense in passing judgement...the "slap on the wrists" is much more common in obvious "prank" situations here. Sure, you'll end up paying for what you've done, and then some, but you don't get your whole life screwed up because of some lame stunt you've pulled as a dumb teenager.

I've done some pretty stupid things growing up, and with a system like the states, I'd probably be screwed for life(though I suppose growing up knowing what will happen, might have discouraged from doing things...who knows). However, most of the time the police have just gotten a chuckle, then driven me home and I get punished at home, and I reckon I've turned up just fine without excessive court actions.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote