Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
Eagle eye
Elminster

Letter so long windows..

I have finally come to my senses and traded in my shoddy old xp for a Mac OS X with an hopelessly huge moniter(and as it turns out just before the release of the new 'Leopard'.)
After solving the mystery as to how one turns it on or off, being a frequent Windows user, I find that it's taking me quite a while to get my head around. Yes it my sound stupid, but I find the whole thing utterly confusing..
one question - once you dowload applications and are prompted as to whether you wish to complete the download, does that lead to installation, or is that separate? (I want to download everything I need before I install it, just to make things a bit easier.)
Thanks
Eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: so long windows..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle eye View Post
I have finally come to my senses and traded in my shoddy old xp for a Mac OS X with an hopelessly huge moniter(and as it turns out just before the release of the new 'Leopard'.)
After solving the mystery as to how one turns it on or off, being a frequent Windows user, I find that it's taking me quite a while to get my head around. Yes it my sound stupid, but I find the whole thing utterly confusing..
one question - once you dowload applications and are prompted as to whether you wish to complete the download, does that lead to installation, or is that separate? (I want to download everything I need before I install it, just to make things a bit easier.)
Thanks
Mac OS is based from (x)nux, which means yes, you can download then install at your leisure.

First things first; Mac nor Linux is MS, don't attempt to 'make' it do MS style tricks. Prepare for the long haul and plan to 'learn' the system. You may be power commander 6612 on MS, but you are a nOOb on the new OS. learn it, understand it, master it, and soon you will have forgotten that other OS from Redmond!

Before you get flustered and throw it out the window, just give me a call, I'll send the Fed-ex truck to pick it up.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Yay! Welcome to the rebel fold.

Have used Slackware Linux since '98, and have never regretted it. The windows computer is reserved for video games -- which is about the most serious thing the OS can handle
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Meh, I just use windows cuz I'm too lazy and impatient to 'learn' any system.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Trogdor
Manshoon

Yeah, have fun with that Pffft...

Oh wait, you can't because most cool things don't work on it!

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Sorry not that your message sounds offensive but it's unclear to whom that is directed, myself or those on the Mac rigs?

If on the Mac rigs, yes and no. I mean Macs are CRAP for gaming, but say 3d design they're not too bad. Are they more stable and sometimes seem more powerful? Yeah, but they're also pretty much uni-taskers.
Which is why they're so stable. Windows is unstable mostly because you can put all kinds of conflicting crap into it without even realizing it. The reason Windows is more succeptible to viruses being that the OS is so widespread. If Mac ever becomes the new majority in business and home computers you will see a new wave of viruses crawling out at you, most of them Mac oriented.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Ironworks Forum Re: so long windows..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
The reason Windows is more succeptible to viruses being that the OS is so widespread.
The argument rears its ugly head again: Bad by design or bad by popularity?

I don't know; I've been out of IT for too long now -- migrated to CS and then to discrete math and now I'm so deep in theoretical weeds that I don't even use computers anymore

I suspect that the truth is part both -- I'm sure XP and Vista have improved over their predecessors, security-wise ... but I can't imagine that the basic design philosophy has changed much.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

But you still have to consider, security could be crap on a system but if only two or three thousand people have it, why write viruses for it.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:39 AM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes. If the Mac had as many users as Windows do, trust me, there'd be "security holes" exploited they never even thought of. If they only paid a bunch of programmers to write viruses for the Mac for a week or so, this argument would quickly be dispelled. If you build it they will come.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Yeah, have fun with that Pffft...

Oh wait, you can't because most cool things don't work on it!
Cool things, like 3d Toaster, which would turn that fake MS rendered signature file of yours into a true to life file? Or, do you mean like having three or four different programs operating without a delay?

Or, do you just mean the top 10 video games?

Ever wondered why Hollywood renders without PCs and MS OS?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote