Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I'm looking to get a new laptop in the next 1-2 mos. I want one with a good graphics card, but can't afford the $2200 mobile gaming wonder from Alienware.

I'm familiar with Toshiba and Sony machines. However, I've noticed that HP and Fujitsu make machines that look good -- especially since they still have integrated 1.44" drives (which I personally still prefer to have on my machine).

So, some questsions:
1. Any experience/lore regarding HP or Fujitsu machines? Reliability? Tech support?

2. The only affordable laptop I've found with a 164-meg video card is Fujitsu LifeBook C2220 P4-M 2.4GHz machine with an ATI Mobility Radeon chip with 128M shared memory. Anyone know if this chip is good/new/outdated?

3. WHat performance difference is there between "shared" graphics chips and those with memory on the chip? For instance, if a 32Meg on-chip memory chip will outperform a 64Meg shared chip, I could purchase the 32Meg one instead -- right? I've noticed in these laptops Nvidia chips are on-chip while Radeons are shared. What about meeting minimum system specs -- e.g. if a game requires a 64Meg chip (wherein the 32Meg chip could screw me)?

4. Any other machines/laptops you'd like to advise as good purchases? I have no desktop, so I want a machine capable of handling most RPGs.

THANKS ALL [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Hmm.. interesting, I think I'll jump in on this since I was considering a nice gaming laptop myself. I personally prefer a mouse to the touchpad though or maybe a trackball though it may take some getting used to. Anyways what would it take to get Windows XP and 98 on the same computer? Could I do it with a partition on a large enough HD or would I need two sepperate hard drives? Some of the games I like are a little on the Window's 98 reliant side and if I can keep them it would be awesome.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-29-2003, 05:55 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I've run across very few Win98 games that won't play on XP, though newer versions are advised (e.g. CivIII instead of CivII).

I use a mouse. Simple usb laser mouse. In fact, unless I'm travelling or doing homework in front of the TV, I hook my laptop up to a monitor, mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, printer, and speakers. The wonders of a USB hub. Plus, using a separate monitor keeps my laptop liquid screen from deteriorating over time.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Are you a student? If you are HP / Compaq and Dell give discounts. I bet the other companies do to but just last week a girl I know was looking for a laptop for school and Dell and HP /Compaq were giving her a price break. Also I think Fujitsu was also. On desktop systems shared memory means that if you have 128 Megs of Ram and your Video card is using 64 Megs then your OS can only see 64 Megs. If this is true with the laptop your are looking at make sure you get atleast 256 Megs of Ram. I would still try for 512 Megs. Also is video games the main reason for the laptop? If so I would go Toshiba they have some really good deals but then I prefer the GeForce video card line. On the GeForce side the GeForce FX go is what you want. Here are the different types http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_mobile.html

Granamere
Old 09-29-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

TL, I purchased a Compaq 3000 series back in July. It is a P4 2.4ghz, 60gig hard drive, 24x DVD/CD-burner, 512 mgs or ram, and a SIS 64 mg(shared) Graphics card. It comes with 4 2.0 USB ports and a firewire. Some models have wireless, but mine doesn't (didn't feel it was worth an additional $200). The big seller for me was the true 16" SXGA screen.

I have played IWD2 and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring with no problem. I also use it for CADD work (Mircostation V8) with absolutely no problem. Worked on it tonight while listening to Allison Krauss and Union Stations Live CDs. Work and pleasure at the same time.

I'll never have another desktop again and while I'd love to have an Alienware Area 51, this one is doing just as well.

Draw backs to this particular one are the weight (bout 8.0 lbs) and the exterior speakers aren't the greatest. I use headphones so I really don't care.

Other laptops I was impressed with were... well besides the Area 51, the Toshiba's really impressed me, but they were about $500 more and didn't come with all the features I wanted.

Another thing that sold me on the Compaq 3000 series was that CNET gave it a Highly recommended for it's particular niche as a desktop replacement. Of the 5 laptops they gave that rating too, it was the cheapest by several Hundred dollors. That's important when you are the raising three kids on a single income family.

Any way just my two little ole pennies. If price isn't a factor then the Area 51 is the way to go. Mid price,then the Toshiba is the way to go. If your cheap like me, but still want it all, the Compaq is the way to go! Notice I didn't select a Dell. Don't think you get the most Bang for your buck and I've heard their support is as crappy as compaq's, but then no brands support is rated all that high!
Old 09-30-2003, 12:15 AM   #6
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

TL,

if you can get over any Ebay hang-ups you may have, I seriously suggest you take a look there. I know, I know - many people know people who in turn have heard of people getting ripped off/conned, but the fact of the matter is, it's my first choice for anything to do with electronics, and with good reason.

You can save hundreds on a brand-new notebook if you buy from there, and you'll see the attraction yourself when you're browsing the site and suddenly there's that laptop with awesome specifications that you never thought you could afford. Ebay is very safe so long as you buy from an online store or very reputable seller.

I just wanted to point this out as I get so frustrated with people paying too much through regular stores [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for your questions:

1) I've stuck with HP as my choice of laptop for five years now (two machines, both bought on Ebay). I've never had even the slightest problem. What I notice is that these notebooks seem to be far more substantial than most others - ie. they make great desktop replacements. HP doesn't skimp on things like hard drives or memory, as I find Dell guilty of - plus they all include an internal floppy drive. As for technical support - I have phoned and emailed often enough with pretty random questions, and HP have always been responsive and helpful. I can't really fault them in any way, to be perfectly honest. Fujitsu I can't say too much about I'm afraid [img]smile.gif[/img]

2) A 128mb video card is just about the best you're going to get in a notebook, regardless of brand. It's certainly more than enough to play any video game out there. The 256mb cards are generally only found in desktop computers. So just to confirm, I personally think the ATI Mobility you saw is absolutely fine. It's been out a while, but I wouldn't call it outdated by any means.

3) I don't know too much about these chips, to be honest. Just that on-chip memory is, of course, always better than shared. I'm pretty sure that, for example, a 32mb dedicated video card will outperform a 64mb shared one. So in that case, I think some of the (unshared) NVIDIA chips you've seen are probably the way to go, but the ATI mentioned above is also fine. Either way, you don't need to worry about these cards not being able to run certain games, the only question is really how well they'll run the games.

4) I personally love the new Sony Vaio's. Very expensive, but they have the features and specifications to warrant the price tags, and as I mentioned before, if you take a look on Ebay, you might be pleasantly surprised. The new Acer Travelmate notebook/tablet PC hybrids are also awesome, as are the Toshibas and the new IBM Thinkpads. Without going off on too many separate tangents here, I don't think you can really go too wrong with anything these days. Just shop around for good prices and read as many (online) reviews as you can.

Good luck, hope my rantings have helped somewhat - I get the feeling they have, but probably only with any insomnia you may have been suffering from [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Bumping to try to get a little more love. Thanks for replies so far.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:10 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I started this earlier, but had to split...

I made the leap to a Fujitsu Lifebook (P2120, if it matters) back in May. It's a tiny little thing compared to a "real" laptop, but since I do a decent amount of travel, that's a plus. I've now called twice for support, which has been done through web chats -- very nice, and very straightforward. And very helpful, too.

On the positive side, it's got a built-in wired and wireless NIC, built-in modem, two USB ports, firewire, and some funky sound port that I don't use and don't remember the name of [img]smile.gif[/img] The DVD/CD-RW is internal in a bay, and I bought the external floppy. I don't know why, other than habit; I still haven't used it, and likely won't [img]smile.gif[/img] Processor is a 900Mhz crusoe chip. I ordered it with Win2k instead of XP. The vid card is some version of ATI Radeon, but I know little more than that. There's also a 40GB hard drive in this critter as well.

Only a couple of downsides to the Fujitsu...

1. Total memory. My unit will go to 512MB max; depending on your load, you may want more. It's more than enough for me, but for a long-term gaming machine, I might want more.

2. The keyboard is something like 86% (or 5/6) of normal. That's not much of a problem except for one of the shift keys, which is half-size. But when I'm in the office, or at a customer site, I plug in an external keyboard and mouse... no problem.

It's been a great machine, and it's a good conversation piece as well.
I've been satisfied, and once I get one final issue resolved, I'll be completely satisfied. That will happen next week, I anticipate.

Drop me a PM if you've got more specific questions.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:40 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Bumping back to pg 1.

Good to hear Fujitsus do well. You can't buy them at BestBUy or CompUSE, so I only know what's on PCConnection and Fujitsu. Any more insight on the on-board and shared memory video cards?
Old 10-05-2003, 01:54 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Ba-dup-bum-BUMP!!
*duck rotten tomatoes*