Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

It's irritating, and has been happening more and more when I use the mouse. When its bad, it locks to where I can't bend it sometimes, and when I do, it pops every time.

I'm sure it's arthritis or something. But I am 34. Normal? Is it just because I am working so much on the PC?

What I wanna know, is what stops or lessens it. I'm still gonna work, and would like it to stop. (Doesn't really slow me down, it's more irritating that anything)..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
Seraph
Quintesson

What you are describing sounds like trigger finger, except that is usually associated with pain when it pops.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Track-ball user since 1997. Also seems to negate the 'carpal-tunnel' like symptoms that others feel after several hours of cut/copy-paste type editing.
Also ergonomically speaking, observe the angle of you wrist, thumb and forearm while you are at the keyboard typing away. Adjust your chair arm, desk platform, or what have you to achieve an almost linear form of your mouse arm. The popping could be the gritting of overextended swollen tissue of 'cartilage', or worse, 'tendons' as they attempt to function. I strongly reccomend you take a break, and see if the condition lessens. If so, learn from it. If not, you may have permenately damaged something.
~As the head iron worker, without you, we would be fourm-less.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

You must have a mouse with side buttons that you can use with your thumb? Like a lot of us, you are probably overdoing it LOL. With me, when I use my mouse/keyboard for too many hours, for too many days, it gets me in my right shoulder. As a matter of fact I gotta good crink in my shoulder right now LOL. And by the time Sunday comes after I get the Survivor recap done, looking up and to the right will be a no-no for a few days LOL.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeh, my shoulder starts tingling and sometimes my hand falls asleep too.. It REALLY pisses me off. I shake if off though. Do Exercises with it, and its all better.. (Angle of my shoulder does cause it.. so I correct)

When I pop it, it does hurt. Its a weird pain too. not a pain I am used to. a Sharp/dull pain when I pop it.

I use a great ergonomic mouse--Logitech Mouse Man optical (I do have a side button, but never use it) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

At first, I thought you developed some mad finger pop&lock powers, but this kinda worrying. You have tried the standard wrist strain carpal tests, right?
Oh, and a word of advice: be gentle with the mouse and it will be gentle with you [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

My wrists sound like mechanical calculators when I rotate them. But not fingers, at least not yet.

I don't think your finger's supposed to do that. My suggestion would be to ask some manner of doctor what causes it. It would be very sad if you lost a finger.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

You have a major case of RSI, and you should quit NOW until all symptoms have gone OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES. I'm serious, if you overdo it, you will suffer from total-debilitating pain and unableness to do ANYTHING, except lie down in pain and be fed. Quite some people have spent 3 or more YEARS in healthcare on my university because of this problem.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

More on RSI here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetit...#Warning_signs

I have had some carpal-like symptoms in the past from using the mouse. Playing games and doing work on the PC all day does it to me. I bought one of them mouspads with the gel wrist-rest thingy on it and it's awkward at first but prevents pain. It is worth noting though, gaming or things we enjoy doing with the mouse tend to cause symptoms like this alot LESS than monotnous work like repeatedly copoying/pasting stuff or dragging and re-organizing files and folders. Perhaps adrenaline plays a part in the work vs. play issue.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeh, I've been working 9hrs a day getting this NWN Hak done, and loads of stuff is repetitive. (4000 lines in a database I had to change in one instance.) Hell. [img]smile.gif[/img]