Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2001, 10:50 PM   #71
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
There is a difference between questioning a book and being disrespectful toward religion(s). One thing alot of religions have in common, besides an after-life concept, is suffering persecution. I reject anyone who disrespects anothers personal belief's and/or religion in anyway, But The book is not the religion, the individuals are.

When you are talking about Christianity, G'kar, putting down the Bible is putting down our religion. Most Christians believe that the Bible is the inspired work of God, which it is. The Lord has put His word in this text for all to read and be saved by.

This is what some of us believe:

All scripture was inspired by God The Holy Scriptures are absolutely true because God gave the writers the very words they wrote.(verbal inspiration) The Holy Scriptures contain no errors or contradictions.Since God is the author of all scripture, it's teachings do not contradict one another.

So you see G'kar, when you put down the Bible, you are putting down my religion, and therefore, me personally, since you are putting down God.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)

[This message has been edited by Liliara (edited 10-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Liliara (edited 10-05-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 11:01 PM   #72
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:

All scripture was inspired by God The Holy Scriptures are absolutely true because God gave the writers the very words they wrote.(verbal inspiration) The Holy Scriptures contain no errors or contradictions.Since God is the author of all scripture, it's teachings do not contradict one another.

These are claims that the Bible itself does not make. Where in the Bible does it claim to be the infallible, totally consistent word of God?

It is NOT necessary to believe such things to be a Christian.

Old 10-05-2001, 11:08 PM   #73
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
These are claims that the Bible itself does not make. Where in the Bible does it claim to be the infallible, totally consistent word of God?

It is NOT necessary to believe such things to be a Christian.

Wow, didn't I just get done saying that SOME Christians believe this? Do you ever read an entire poat before answering?

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)
Old 10-05-2001, 11:17 PM   #74
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Wow, didn't I just get done saying that SOME Christians believe this? Do you ever read an entire poat before answering?

My comment was directed only at those Christians who believe for some reason that the Bible in infallible. I wonder about the origin of that belief. It doesn't come from the Bible itself. The Bible doesn't claim any such thing.

Old 10-05-2001, 11:32 PM   #75
G'kar

Quote:
When you are talking about Christianity, G'kar, putting down the Bible is putting down our religion. Most Christians believe that the Bible is the inspired work of God, which it is. The Lord has put His word in this text for all to read and be saved by.

This is what some of us believe:

So you see G'kar, when you put down the Bible, you are putting down my religion, and therefore, me personally, since you are putting down God.

Its a shame you would take something personally that is not. You may believe in the bible as the holy writ of god, I respect your beliefs, but not everybody (including christians) shares them.

I look forward to your in-depth replies to the questions, though I do find it odd that you would answer at all, considering the mere asking of them is offensive to you.

Does comparing other religions to christianity, noting the similairities between them, offend you as well? Im thinking of posting a lenthy discourse on such a topic. Be advised.

Well I conclude, Liliria, since biblical questioning is something you can avoid, by ignoring any post that conflicts with your personal beliefs, I shall not stop advocating it, nor doing it myself, publicly. In my heart I do not disrespect you or your beliefs. Those are yours, I have my own.

Old 10-05-2001, 11:39 PM   #76
G'kar

Liliria- BTW I forgive you for presuming that I put down god. You obviously do not know me, and would have little business commenting on My personal relationship with the creator. But I'll let bye-gones, be bye-gones and let you off the hook this time.

Old 10-06-2001, 12:02 AM   #77
Bullvye
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Bullvye - why not answer Dramnek's questions instead of just quoting a Creed?
YOU believe in the Creed, Dramnek_Ulk wanted answers to his questions. As a believer, you should be able to answer those questions. Can you?

I am an atheist, and even I can give bible answers to every one of them. I've been waiting for christians to do so.

My statement in responce to Dramnek_Ulk's post was only intended to be a declaration of my own beliefs, and a suggestion to further research scripture to find his own answers. Knowing that the Holy Spirit works through the Word, my hope was that God, not me, would give him( or her...?) the answers that he was looking for. After all " Faith comes by hearing, and hearing, by the Word of God"

As for my own knowledge of the bible, and my personal ability to answer his questions I assure you that I am capable. But if your intentions are to provoke me to answer Dramnek_Ulk, in the hopes of flamming my answer, I would kindly like to extend to YOU the chance to pose any questions to me that YOU might have. This chance would either allow me call to mind an answer from memory, or return me to scripture for answers, both bringing me closer to the Lord whom I serve. Truly a WIN, WIN situation for me.

Old 10-06-2001, 03:43 AM   #78
Dramnek_Ulk

I have read the bible several times looking for answers to my questions. I found nothing,nor did any form of divine being see fit to enlighten me. So i am asking in the hope that some other person can answer them for me, and im looking for SPECIFIC answers not anything in the vain of "god did it" or "you must have faith" etc

[This message has been edited by Dramnek_Ulk (edited 10-06-2001).]

Old 10-06-2001, 04:16 AM   #79
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

First off, an apology to Fljotsdale. I am ashamed I allowed myself to become so angered. I know too well that you enjoy "the thrill" of debate.
Answers to many of the questions posed sprang to mind, but it would take time to find chapter/verse. The thing is, if I did post great answers, why would it even make a difference? If someone has no faith in the Bible as a source of truth, then how can my argument (within the Bible) change his belief? Even Fljotsdale, with an incredible knowledge of the Bible, who claims (and I belive her) to know answers to all questions posted still does not believe. So what would posting answers do? It would merely serve to leave my argument/ explanation open for criticism and dissection. If I don't post, I don't lose. If I post and prove, I still don't win. I'm afraid most of it would be the "Let he who has ears to hear, hear" anyway, and some people just don't. I feel pity for the ones that do and hold their hands over their ears however.
Liliara, there is a book called "From God to Us: How we Got our Bible" by Norman L. Geisler & William E. Nix that presents a strong argument from within the Bible on infallible inspiration. Bruce M. Metzger's New Testament textual criticism (use a serch engine- a lot of it is online) helps present a different argument, showing that our oldest manuscripts do differ, and that the Bible we know is based on one copy (the Textus Receptus). I haven't read either of them, but I intend to.
Old 10-06-2001, 04:56 AM   #80
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
[B] There is a difference between questioning a book and being disrespectful toward religion(s). One thing alot of religions have in common, besides an after-life concept, is suffering persecution.

[B]
Not to mention persecuting........ It's not like Christianity has always been the victim, lets face it! For much its history, Christians have been the agressors. It's not what I call a peaceful religion, by any manner of means. Some foul atrocities have been committed in its name. That doesn't necessarily invalidate the teachings. But it does raise questions.

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati