Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
Dang
The Magister

Is there any way to recover a deleted save game?

I had a game where my party was pretty close to done--they were cleaning up the Rapax Rift. I had also just started a new party.

When I got home from vacation, I decided to play with the new party a little. Unfortunately, when I tried to save game, it actually asked me "Delete this game?" But I'm so used to quickly saving that I didn't notice the text. I must have noticed something wrong because I actually did it again.

Anyhow, the first game I agreed to delete was my almost-finished party of most excellent adventurers. I know one should save multiple slots, but I expected death by Dark Savant, not Delete Bugs! I do have the party saved in another slot, but it's so far back that I would rather just go through with a new party.

So, my question is, is there any way to recover deleted saved games? They don't appear to go into the Recycle Bin.

FYI, this bug has happened again (trying to save brings up "Delete this game?"). It appears to happen in the Monastery, in the hallway between the area with the door bolted from the other side (with King Crab) and the observatory where you can look out on the cavern with the Tanika fish.
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Are you sure it said 'delete' and not 'overwrite'? It does that when you save into a slot used earlier, and it completely overwrites the old save-file. I'm afraid you're screwed if that's how it went.

To save to a new file, use the top-most slot, the one that doesn't have a savegame-name in it yet.

P.S. - Welcome to the forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-05-2004, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: J'aran ]
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Dang
The Magister

Nope, I assumed it was saying "Overwrite this file?" and it was on the new party's file. It WAS on the new party's file; I've confirmed this from playing with the bug. But it says "Delete" not "Overwrite" and it deletes the file under the one selected. I think I'm screwed anyway. Oh, well. My new weak party is coming along nicely, barely surviving every ten yards. But how I'll miss Harry Potkins, Hobbit Ninja Master.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
dplax
Jack Burton

I've noticed that delete thing a few times also, when trying to save over an older file and it actually does delete the save game. I can't remember the exact circumstances in which this happened, and usually sleeping solved the problem.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
sultan

bummer, dang.

i accidentally deleted a party once (deleting instead of saving, not a bug - user error), but was able to recover them with norton.

anyway welcome to IW. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Ben Lauritson
Dungeon Master

It's happened to me many a time before. It's pretty annoying since it can completely destroy a party you've spent ages developing. I always keep two save games, but it often takes me a while to notice what's happened, and chances are I'll have deleted at least one save game by accident. I'm sorry to hear it's happened, but it's happened. Still..

And let me be yet another to welcome you to the forums
Old 01-07-2004, 12:35 AM   #7
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome to the board, Dang,

to prevent such an accident, I always copy the last savegame file in an other directory ( on a second HD if you have one ). Believe me, that sometimes can save a day.

Greetings

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
Dang
The Magister

Thanks for the help and welcomes, guys! And Loudhy, I now have all my saves backed up in another directory. Helps alot when you play ironman on "Way too Cocky for His Own Good."
Old 01-26-2004, 09:22 PM   #9
JOE030303
The Magister

i use three saves
1= party title
2= party title spare
3= chapter (which i only use when Ive done something important or done some major leveling up)
JOE030303 is offline   Reply With Quote