Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2001, 10:37 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Sazerac, Editor

Greetings, fellow readers! As of this issue, the Gael Serran Examiner goes Silver! It's now been 25 issues since I first started the Examiner, as a mere joke, way back in January 2001. Who would have thought it would take off the way it did! As the Grateful Dead sang, "What a long, strange trip it's been."

To date we have had 25 articles about the strange, bizarre, and unusual goings-on in the Gael Serran. Our staff has grown to include 14 reporters and photojournalists, and more keep adding coming in! We look forward to publishing many more editions of the Gael Serran Examiner.

It is much more difficult to bring laughter into the world than it is to bring sorrow. Thank you for allowing me and the rest of us to do our part in making the world a little bit happier.

To celebrate the 25th edition, The Gael Serran Examiner has become the sponsor of a time-honored tradition among the rogues of the Gael Serran. We are pleased to announce, for your delectation, the 51st Annual

Rogues, thieves, brigands, pirates, bards, ninjas, and assassins come from all over the Gael Serran to attend this all-night extravaganza. Cryptfest, held in the old graveyard crypt of Bersault, is a blow-out event that everyone waits in anticipation for each year.

Before the festivities even begin, both the living (and the un-living) are lining up in entrance hall to the Crypt, waiting to purchase their tickets. Surprisingly, there has been little bloodshed here in the past, and we hope this year's event proves to be as safe and fun as it is for all concerned.

We were able to obtain an interview with Harald Blackstone, high Brigand of the Gael Serran, and annual organizer of the event.

"Things here are pretty easy-goin', for the most part," Blackstone said. "The lads are up to stealin', lootin', and killin' all year long, and this is one night they can let their hair down and forgit about all the plunderin' and killin', and jest concentrate on havin' fun."

"As in ever' year we've had Cryptfest, we've arranged spectacular lightin' effects, great for dancin', minglin', and for givin' that special party ambiance that the crypt lacks most of the time."

Special events for this year's fest are:
  • Whack-A-Rumphy (always a favorite--and Rumphy has fun, too!)
  • The annual Firepit Relay Open
  • The Crypt Bat hunt
  • The Asylum Swim Race
  • Pin the tail on the Kerah Statue
  • The Rethpian Scavenger Hunt (help him find his keys! He dropped his keys, did he tell you??
  • The Rat Pie eating contest (last year, Rethpian still maintained his title...but we expect a few more Stout challengers.)
  • The Jindol Altar Leaping contest (see who can grab it first!)
  • Dancing (music by "Oingo Boingo" and "Dead Can Dance")
  • Socializing
  • A fun night for all![/list]

And man, can some of those skeletons get down and boogie! No bones about it. They hear the music and they're all over the place.

It's actually great that the rogues and skeletons get along well at Cryptfest. Everyone has fun on this evening! You can't keep the undead out of it. Even some of the more recalictrant asylum zombies have enjoyed coming out and performing some of their tricks.

"We're lookin' for record attendance this year," Harald Blackstone said, "and we'd like to see if we could get some females in attendance as well. Even some of the nymphs from over at the lake. Last year, the poor blokes were forced into dancin' with each other! Not that some meaningful relationships weren't forged from it, prob'ly."

Cryptfest will be held next weekend, Friday evening, from sundown until ???. The event in the past has been known to continue a full 48 hours. Expect a special guest appearance by the great sage Wyvern, at the stroke of midnight, to hand out prizes for the various contests and meets: specially ensorcelled Assassins Daggers for the winners!

Plan to attend now! Ticket sales are in advance at any Thieves Guild or through the offices of the Gael Serran examiner.

Keep watching for updates to the Gael Serran Examiner. Remember: Minds that need examining want to KNOW!

Sazerac, Editor

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 05-19-2001).]
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 10:45 PM   #2
WizardMen
The Magister

By far my favorite of all Examiners.

Nice Job! : )

()xxxxx{}:::::::::::::::>
WizardMen

Gota Love Him
WizardMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 11:32 PM   #3
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

OOOOooooooh, How pretty, Saz!!! And I can't wait to dance up a "storm". LOL (pun intended

As usual, a great edition! Thanks for the many laughs since January. This one comes right on time, when it was needed.
Hugs,
Mammawlin

p.s. Always remember, my mind needs more Examining!

[This message has been edited by mammawlin (edited 05-19-2001).]
mammawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 11:50 PM   #4
Moni

Congratulations on your 25th Silver Edition!

So glad to see it so successful and as always, great reading!

I will be in attendance at Cryptfest! Rex (a GSE addict as well) read this with me and will be accompanying me. Alas, let the Rogues sing Billy Idol and "dance with themselves"!

Looking forward to all the activities too! I think I have a shot at a few of those Daggers!

Moni
Old 05-20-2001, 12:12 AM   #5
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

That is truly hilarious! This thouroughly unexamined mind wants to get tickets right away! I have a party of six that're gettin' ready to go in. Hope we don't get carded. I think we're only lev. 2 or 3.This is the first time I've examined the examiner. I bought it from one of those trail side newspaper boxes outside the cemetery. I waited in a line of three or four short, husky fellas who look exactly like that friendly little guy, Bilibump. As I suspected from the Headline, it was worth the wait. Thanks, Saz, and how do I get a subscription?

Dr.Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 07:00 AM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

A tour de farce! The funniest Examiner yet! Thanx for the list of "Special Events", it was the best part! Keep the issues coming Saz!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 09:14 AM   #7
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I agree, this was a great one Saz. The list of special event was awesome

Good work !!!

BTW: did you use a third party software to get the blue tint? On my machine, without the illuminate, everything has a greenish tint to it.

Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 09:31 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

EXCELLENT!!!!!

And playing music by "The Dead Can Dance" - Big thumbs up! (that's a real group, folks - excellent music too!)

We'll have to see if we can't teleport some of those Nymphs over to the festivities!

Let's PARTY!!

Wyv

------------------
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 11:48 AM   #9
Conan

Wyv, and party goer's. I'm on the way to tell the lake inhabitants of this wonderful event!

------------------
Portal Power!
Old 05-20-2001, 01:17 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ryanamur: Yes, I used Paint Shop Pro filters to add lighting effects to the overall greenish tint there...got some great effects, made it look like a party atmosphere!

Wyvern: Both bands are real: so is "Oingo Boingo", although they were more of an 80's phenomenon. Their hit songs were "Weird Science (the same as the theme from the movie)", "Dead Man's Party", "Stay", "No One Lives Forever"...in short, really outstanding Crypt party music!

Glad this one was such a hit!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote