Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
seefree22
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Going to make my first try through the game and wanted some reactions to my party after reading through a lot of the online material:

Human Paladin
Dwarven Fighter/Thief
Elven Druid
Half-Elf Bard

Do I have all my bases covered? I'm not a power-gamer, so not into dual classing, just want to have a fun and diverse gaming experience. I went with 4 members to speed up leveling, but was wondering if anyone knew around what the final levels/exp are for 3,4,5,6 member parties at the end of the game.
Thanks!
seefree22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

A Cleric has some overlap with the Druid spells, but will have some very different ones as well. I suggest picking one up, or even a multiclassed Cleric/Mage (I'd choose a Gnome Cleric/Illusionist, cuz they're close to Dwarves) so you'll have more arcane spells.

Nice base there though! You would definitely be able to beat the game with that party!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hi seefree, welcome to the forum [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I would recommend adding a fighter class to the druid to make it a multiclass F/D. Even if the fighter side of the character does nothing more than sling rocks, it will provide you with a lot more weapon-based punch in terms of number of attacks per round, chance to hit (acronym is "Thaco"), and exceptional strength (over 18, shown in-game as "18/**").

As a second recommendation, I might take a gnome fighter/thief instead of a dwarf - a multiclass dwarf has its constitution bonus (+5 hitpoints if Con is 19) rounded down, so it would gain nothing over a character with a max Con of 18 (+2 HP Con bonus per level up compared to +2.5 HP rounded down, also 2). A dwarf may have trouble getting 18 Dexterity - there's a ceiling of 17 for dwarven Dexterity although it can be circumvented. A gnome also has the opportunity to wear a very nice helm that is racially restricted to gnomes and halflings.

I realize that you may not want to max out the physical stats of your characters as a proclaimed non-power-gamer, in which case you can ignore the stat-based analysis of the gnomish vs. dwarven F/T. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Do you have the expansion Heart of Winter (and the free downloadable expansion Trials of the Luremaster)? If not, I might go with a multiclass Ranger/Cleric instead of a F/D, because druids get a real lift (increased spell access and shapechanges) with HoW. They are decent without HoW, but fantastic with it. Same with a bard - if you don't have HoW, I would go with something else (mage? fighter/mage?) because HoW adds five great combat songs without which the bard is mediocre.

If playing without HoW and TotL, you can expect a little over 7 million xp total for the entire game - that works out to about lvl 12 in a 6 character party or about lvl 15 in a 4 character party.

If playing with HoW and TotL, expect about 13 million total xp. With 6, average level will be in the mid-to-high teens, with 4, average level will be about 20.

These average levels are based on "average" single-class characters, not bards and single-classed thieves which gain levels at a faster rate than other classes. Multiclasses and medium-to-high level dual classes will be approximately 2-3 levels below the ones listed.

Overall, I like your 4 character party. It should be just fine, especially if you use either or both tweaks I suggested.

If you decide you want more power and more variety, take the party up to 6 characters. I'd add a cleric or druid (depending on what you have in the party to start, add the other class so you have one of each) and a mage - they could be single classed or multiclassed with fighter, depending on when in the game you'd add them.

[ 01-15-2006, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 01-15-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
Ultra Marine
The Magister

It will be more fun playing a class of each, ie, have a mage, cleric, druid, bard, thief and fighter variant. At least you get to try all the spells and songs.

Its a good idea to get a dc or mc f/druid. Get to wear all armour. Pure druids wear only leather.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:24 AM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

well... In the game, there are some really good pieces of leather armor...

A special set that boosts resistances comes to mind.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I think a single classed Druid can wear Ankheg Plate, but that's not around for a long time. I much prefer MC F/D and F/T over having one without the "Fighter".

BTW, I think a 19 CON grants +2 HP on Thief level-ups and +3 on Fighter.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Old 01-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

The Con bonus works in the following way:

15 Con: 1 HP bonus, all characters
16 Con: 2 HP bonus, all characters
17 Con: 3 HP bonus for warrior classes only, including warrior multiclasses - non-warrior classes cannot get a bonus of more than 2, so a Con over 16 with a non-warrior is a waste of stat points
18 Con: 4 HP bonus, warriors only - this is max Con for all races except dwarves; the only way to get above 18 Con with a non-dwarf is with a stat-increasing potion (permanent) or with spells (temporary).
19-20 Con: 5 HP bonus, warriors
21-23 Con: 6 HP bonus, warriors
24-25 Con: 7 HP bonus, warriors
Old 01-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
Ultra Marine
The Magister

I still prefer to grant a level or two of fighter abilities to the DC druid. I can start wearing plate armor early in the game and also use the large shields.

I am not a fan of DC myself and i only use it for adding abilities. But shapeshifting in a plate armor is a bit dumb i guess.
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I understand how the CON bonus works, Aerich. I also understand that a 19 CON should grant +2 HP on Thief level-ups, and +3 on Fighter level-up for a multiclassed Fighter/Thief. I say "should" because that's how it works in P&P D&D.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
seefree22
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the feedback! It may seem strange but after your input and some more searching I think I may actually try a three person party! (Ranger/Cleric, Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Thief).
To comment on the hit point at leveling up. Maybe it it one of the mods that I have installed, but when I level up my multi-classed fighters, both classes are getting the fighter CON bonus! So my first level dward fighter/thief had 13 hit points! And when the thief level goes up, the HP goes up by 6 with the +5 Con bonus and then it being rounded up! I think I installed a max HP at level up mod that my have messed with the in-game option. Anyone else experience this?
seefree22 is offline   Reply With Quote