Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 01-07-2002, 05:52 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

Ok, I'm going through the game now for the 2nd time, (i was a fighter 1st time), and now I am a Half-ling Human Theif.

So here's the deal.

Alot of people say you should dual-class your theif at level 6 to a Mage, but I dnt like the sound of this. I mean, he'd be useless until I got him back, and I guess a level 18 theif or something could be pretty handy if you played all the way through. Someone please list the advantages and disadvantages of my argument.

Thanx
Old 01-07-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

You said 'halfling human thief' but since you're talking about dual classing you must mean 'human thief' (only humans can dual class, and among the non-human multiclasses halflings cannot be thief-mages).

Probably it will be best to create the character and experiment by leveling him up via the CLUA console. Then dual at various levels and export each time (choose a different name for each version of course). Then copy those BG1 .chr files to the BG2 Characters folder and import them into a saved game in BG2 (the autosave at the end of the opening sequence will do nicely). Take note of the various advantages each version gives you by the end of the conversion process.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Lemernis ]

Old 01-08-2002, 06:30 AM   #3
Vampire

Well this argument depends on how far you wnat to stretch it really.
If you just care about BG1, then DO NOT dual class at level 6, as you will never have your Wizard exceed that level easily thus rendering thieving skills useless.

I would either keep the thief if only one, or dual class at level 2/3.
Play multi-class for best in BG1.

If you want to carry this forward to BG2 and ToB. then you need to look at what campanions you like in your party and their classes.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:28 AM   #4
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

You may want to consider multiclassing a mage-thief with an elf, especially if the plan is to take the character all the way through the series. The more I think about it, I would strongly recommend that. For one thing you will get racial bonus of +1 dex and + 1 to attack with bow and longswords. But more importantly as a multi you will attain high levels in BOTH skills, and you may enjoy that much more in the long run. The main thing you lose out on with the multi is gaining only one prof in any weapon, but for this particular combo of classes that won't matter so much. Another downside is you'll often be one to two levels behind the pure clases. But that is no big deal--you should barely notice, especially you ascend into the higher levels.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:21 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

I may have not expressed myself clearly.

I am a halfling theif, not a human. That was my typo, sorry.

I will be taking the character into BG2, + I have TOTSC.

And Lemernis, when you said :"multiclassing a mage-thief with an elf", isn't that impossible? It's like being born an Orc and asking to become a troll half-way through. You can only dual-class classes, not races.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]

Old 01-08-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

"Multi-classing a Mage/Thief with an Elf" is not only quite possible, it's one of the best combos in the game. Sorry to sound condescending, Lavindathar, but it sounds like you need to read the manual. If you make a Halfling Thief, you're stuck as a Halfling Thief. No Duals for you. Next! But you CAN Multiclass--just like you can with an Elf.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:20 AM   #7
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Lavindathar sounds confused, hehe.
I've just started as a female halfling mage/thief and I just want to confirm that being a halfling means I don't have to put up with Anomens dribbling?
Old 01-11-2002, 07:56 AM   #8
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Downunda:
Lavindathar sounds confused, hehe.
I've just started as a female halfling mage/thief and I just want to confirm that being a halfling means I don't have to put up with Anomens dribbling?

Lavindathar isn't the only one who sounds confused. Halflings can't be magi, and they can't be mage/thieves.

EDIT: Further comment: this whole thread is very confused/confusing, if you ask me

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]

J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:16 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Is it possible that the poster meant a gnome illusionist/thief? I mean it CAN be hard to tell gnomes and halflings apart in the dark! lol

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:18 AM   #10
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

If you plan on dualing a thief to a mage I personally would do it at level 7 or 8 if you plan on going through to BG2. I also would not put too many points into stealth, because the is always invisibility, improved invisibility, non-detection if you wish to be stealthy. It also depends on how you wish to use your thief once you get your abilities back. Are you going to be mostly casting spells and using missle weapons, and have the thief abilities to find/remove traps and open locks? Or, are you going to backstab a lot?
Fuzzy Animal is offline   Reply With Quote