Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

I have an epic wizard and it seems that I have stopped gaining additional spell slots with each level up. I still get to select 2 additional spells to add to my spell book, but no more slots. I did get some additional spell slots for increasing intelligence through epic feat selection and/or the periodic natural attribute increases, but none for just leveling up. I ended up taking some levels of rogue so I could take rogue skills like disable traps, pick locks, hide, move silently, etc since I like to solo. I will be taking more wizard levels since there are still some metamagic feats I want, as well as epic spells. Can I expect to gain any more spell slots from leveling up, or is increasing intelligence the only way for an epic wizard to gain any more spell slots?

And one other wizard/sorceror question. I am playing the OC, but also have SOU and HOTU loaded, so have access to the write scroll metamagic feat. I was thinking of trying it, but I have yet to come across any blank scroll sheets. Are they only buyable in HOTU or SOU, since I think the feat was added for one of those expansions and didn't originally exist in the OC?

BTW, you may wonder how I have an epic character in the OC. Two reasons. First I like to solo, which maximizes the XP gained. That probably wouldn't be enough by itself, but I also read a thread on changing the XP rewards for kills from the 20% or 50% default to 100% or 200%. Quicker progression, plus it also ramps up the monsters you face based on your character level. Since I already played through with a pure monk and then with a fighter/bard/RDD and thought the OC was a little short on XP, I tried it this way.

[ 01-24-2006, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Witchdoctor ]
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

You won't gain additional spell slots from levels, and you won't find blank scrolls in the OC.
Scribing scrolls, by the way, is only rarely a useful skill when soloing, and even then more for sorcerers (who can change their entire spell list with one level-up) than wizards.
In multiplayer, it can be a great way of teaching other wizards new spells, and learning new ones of your own.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

I may just skip the scribe scroll feat then. I was thinking more intelligence or taking all three levels of the automatic quicken spell epic metamagic feat (so you can quicken even level 9 spells for free, if I understand the descriptions correctly) might be more useful. The scribe scroll, brew potion and craft wand feats sound great, but are a bit limited in their implimentation. They all have maxes on the highest level spell that can be written, brewed or crafted. I took craft wand and not only does it limit you to no higher than a level 4 spell, but it doesn't use your wizard level in determining the strength of the spell. For a high level wizard, there is just no substitute for casting your own memorized spells. Still, it was usefull to make several wands as back up in case I ran out of spells and it wasn't convenient to stop and rest.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yeah, the limit on craft wand does kinda bite, but it does prevent someone crafting a bunch Hellball wands for backups. I am trying out a wizard on one of the online mods I play, and took the feat, so that I could craft a Find Traps wand, and clear that third lvl spell out for a better one. Then made that moot by taking assassin lvls. I'm trying to make a "cloud mage", as I took all the cloud/area effect lingering spells for combat use. So far, it's working out pretty well.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote