Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2001, 12:34 AM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

How often do you have random (i.e. non-quest related) encoiunters, especially in areas out of the city? Thus far I have only one 'outdoor' encounter which sparked off a quest, but that's it.

Within the city I see vamps and thieves duking it out (usually the vamps win), I have been beset by slavers twice (what's an Orog?) but that's it.

Admittedly I haven't gone very far, just into Chapter 2 and just finished Nalia's quest, freed Hendak and am about to embark on the rest of the Slavers quest.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
Old 05-04-2001, 12:37 AM   #2
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

There are alot of bandits stopping you in between traveling between sections in athkatla and some random low level monster encounters when traveling outside of amn.

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-04-2001, 12:37 AM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

spoilers*
usually if u are going from the city to a place outside the city u run into some bandits and in the city going from place to place u can also meet some bandits. the vamps and theives are not random encounters but part of the storyline.
an Orog is half orc half ogre i think.
Old 05-04-2001, 01:41 AM   #4
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Thats a ogrillon a orog is a offshoot of the orc.

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-04-2001, 01:50 AM   #5
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
i never knew what a ogrillon was.but i think Azurewolf is right,the orog is a mix between a orc and a ogre
Old 05-04-2001, 02:37 AM   #6
Aurican
Elminster

OGRILLON
The ogrillon is a fierce species of the half-ogre, being the fruit of a union between ogres and orcs. The ogrillon displays the general tendencies of its larger cousin with some exceptions. It is even more brutish and violent, and it normally learns to speak only Giant and a handful of words in Common. The ogrillon is the size of an orc, and closely resembles one. One in every ten is born with features and coloration very similar to those of ogres, such as yellowish skin and dull, dark green hair. The skin of an ogrillon of either type is covered with small horn plates, giving it natural armor and enabling it to fight without weapons. In combat, there is only a 10% chance that a typical ogrillon can be distinguished from an orc. Ogrillons that resemble ogres, of course, clearly stand out. Ogrillons are the issue of a female orc mated with a male ogre. Thankfully, it is sterile. The union of a male orc and a female ogre yields an orog.

Orog
Elite orcs, or orogs, are a race of great orcs with ogre blood. Orogs are usually a little over 6 feet tall, and resemble powerful orcs. They are highly disciplined warriors and have their own standards and banners which they display prominently — it is usually easy to tell when orogs are present among common orcs.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Old 05-04-2001, 03:21 AM   #7
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

In the cleric quintet they describe it almost the exact opposite....im confused.

------------------
Meet my lawyer.

[This message has been edited by caleb (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 12:02 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

All the "you have been waylaid encounters" are predetermined as they happen every time u play the game. When they happen depends on certain global timers in Baldur.bcs.

The truly random ones are, as people have said all these encounter with bands of goblins in the Windspear hills and those groups of kobolds in the sewers. However if u are above I think something like 2000000XP then the random encounters get tougher. Random encounters with mummies and ghasts get replaced by greater mummies and liches. Try doing every single side-quest b4 u go to the Aylum and u will find liches as random encounters, this is also the case if u go very late to do the Umar Hills/ Temple Ruins quest.
On a side-note, if u have a very high-level evil cleric, u can actually take control of these liches and cast their death spells and meteor showers and wail of the banshee on your enemies, great laugh!! Once I was playing with the XP cap removed and was a level 23 cleric of Talos. I took control of Bodhi! Hehe.

[This message has been edited by Vaskez (edited 05-04-2001).]
Old 05-04-2001, 12:05 PM   #9
Lord Shield

I concur. Controlling Shangalar the lich (and his vampire) also means the rest of the Twisted Rune attack these two and you can do what you like at the back

Old 05-04-2001, 12:07 PM   #10
Aurican
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
In the cleric quintet they describe it almost the exact opposite....im confused.
This comes directly from DnD Rules, not a novel.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?