Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #81
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!)

Try the win98 compatibility mode instead. W&W is build more for win98 than win95.

For the settings, it's more of a "try and see" approach. You'll have to tweak around until you are satisfy with the result.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #82
dannyb
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If anyone would have the problem with "jumping" mouse with Virtual PC emulation, do the following:
Edit->Settings->Mouse
Set the flag "use pointer integration" off.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #83
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

I still don't get the Town Avi advice, sorry if thats a bit of a pain to re-answer ><
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #84
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You have to decompress the avi files. Virtualdub will do this for you; you open the file in vdub and save it with an uncompressed format. The only gotcha is that you have to save it under a different name; you can't save it as itself.

So you have two options:
  1. Copy all the townnnn.avi files to townnnn-old.avi.
  2. Open each of those files under vdub
  3. Save the file as townnnn.avi

or...
  1. Open each of townnnn.avi files under vdub
  2. Save the file as townnnn-new.avi
  3. Rename the old townnnn.avi file to townnnn-old.avi
  4. Rename the townnnn-new.avi files to townnnn.avi

If you've still got questions, post a new thread on it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #85
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

Thanks dude, at first i was like "huh?" but i get it now. Just had a little trouble with downloading vdub and such...

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #86
H D
Welcomed New User

Default XP :(

I know this game isn't compatible with XP and all, but my brother got it working a while ago.

Amusingly whilst trying to find a solution google came up with a thread he posted which details the problem I'm having: http://www.atrip.net/forums/archive/...hp/t-4820.html

"Problem is, whenever I try to run it under Windows XP, I get a memory access error:

Application Error: D:\WIZARD~1\deep6.exe

The instruction at 00423dba referenced memory at 01fa1000 The memory could not be written. Press OK to terminate the application"

He later posted
"OK, I've found the error....

A missing Indeo codec - Not the newest one, so it was freeware... "

I went and asked him and he said he completely forgets what I need to do to get the game working, so...
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
HD
H D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #87
uk_john
Dungeon Master

I can leave the village for the lakes, but in the town I don't get the town leader when I leave the inn and I can only go into the inn, the armoury and the tavern, but not the other buildings! This means I cannot get the quest in the town hall, but only the rumour about the lake gypsies thieves and their stash. I also cannot play the intro movie, and if I click on the 'play intro' twice the game crashes and even using the Bink player cannot get it to play full screen, which I would like.

So far this has to be the hardest game to get working. In Virtual PC it seems too slow and has to run in software mode, and in XP it is just one suggested fix after another that doesn't work!

EDIT: So now I have reinstalled to try and fix the above probs, and guess what - without changing a thing, no sound! Thinking of giving up on this game. Fix one problem, another comes up. Though with no sound, another guess what?! I can quit without the game crashing!

Last edited by uk_john; 06-04-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: extra info
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #88
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Got the game working, at least I got past the village gate, into the '3D world' - but still have problems! Didn't meet the snakeman but instead met a dozen trolls, I have the fight pointer (the sword) and am left clicking on the enemy and nothing is happening! If I click on 'Fight' it takes me to the characters inventory, I then click 'Done' but again, nothing happens! Whether I play realtime or slowtime I cannot get anything to happen. The trolls only attacked me when I backed away, but when I was right in front of them they did nothing! If I talk, they respond ('no talk') and the animations seem okay, but the fighting seems off!

Is there something I am missing? Or have I just found another problem I have to overcome with this damn game?!

By the way, I discovered via the Empire website (Empire is a budget label that released this game in the UK) that you need a dll file called dciman.dll in your Windows/System folder, which I didn't have. You can download it from here if you need it

http://www.nodevice.com/dll/DCIMAN_DLL/item4787.html

I have mucked around so much with this game to get it going, I cannot say for sure this dll got the game working, but it was the last thing I did before the game did work beyond the town gates!

Last edited by uk_john; 06-05-2008 at 07:52 AM. Reason: grammer correction
Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #89
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Try to switch your graphic acceleration between software or hardware mode and see whether you can target the enemies now.

The trolls who were standing in front of you aren't doing anything because they are waiting for you to do something (attack, cast spell, back off etc etc).
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #90
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the advice, but the manual says something about a targeting cursor, and all I have is the fight cursor and when I click on an enemy it goes to the look (eye) cursor and then back to the fight cursor.