Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-19-2000, 09:04 AM   #1
mwilliams5

I have a new Compaq that is about to die, and I have the feeling compaq is going to ask me to reinitialize my HD. So, what do I need to archive off so that when they are done I can reinstall Icewind Dale, copy these files back and not lose any players or saved games.

I appreciate all help on this, I have been trying to finish before it dies but I don't think I will make it.
Old 10-19-2000, 10:21 AM   #2
Lifetime
Red Dragon

You could export all your characters and save the files into a floppy of zip. same for the save games
Lifetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2000, 03:43 PM   #3
mwilliams5

I guess what I really mean is:
If I export my characters and then copy my character and savegame directories to another machine will I be good to go? So that I can reinstall IWD then put the savegame and character directory back and have everything back the way it was. Does the savegame directory have all the character info it needs? Or will I have to import the players?
Old 10-19-2000, 09:11 PM   #4
Lifetime
Red Dragon

the save game carries all the info..think about it..you dont normally export your characters but you can still load the game..so therefore the save is everything..i do it for lots of games i want to play but have no time for..i have save games for like..10+ games on my computer. import/export characters is if (in your case) if you want to start a new game with your current characters and items. but you do NOT need to import characters for the save game to work.
Old 10-19-2000, 09:15 PM   #5
Lifetime
Red Dragon

and another thing about importing/exporting characters..if you like say, edit a character with an editor and u import him into your current game (eg. warrior needs X item and u export him, use an editor to give it to him and import the new warrior in the game), all his/her records will have disappeared..thats what the XXX length been with party is for. so meaning you lose all the info on how many monsters killed, most powerful and all that. and it happens whenever u remove a character and put him back, edited or not and its a minor detail but im something of a gaming perfectionist=)