Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-26-2000, 01:06 AM   #1
lordkymil

I'm playing the game the second time around as an evil character and i have to say that while BG2 gives you much more scope to be true to your evil alignment than BG1 the opportunities are more limited than if you were a good character. I'm not talking about killing everyone in the game, of course, but I am trying to play true to my alignment which means that I don't help anyone for free, I only do things which have a clear monetary or practical benefit to me, and I certainly don't act as anyone's errand boy.
For example, in my previous incarnation as a goody-goody stalker I freed Hendak, helped kill lehtinan and his goons and cleared out the slaver base and was rewarded with a ton of XP. This time around as an evil monk Hendak begged me for release but as he was a slave and therefore a non-person I told Lehtinan of his pathetic plea and he graciously allowed me to take things into my own hands (so to speak) and with an awesome display of martial skill I chunked him in his own cell. And what was the reward i got for this? A shitty 7500 xp and a discount on accomodation!! I can't remember, but the reward certainly seemed greater when I followed the path of light. Or did i miss something?
More often than not i find myself having to help these worthless souls who can't get their shit together for the sake of increasing my XP. Charity shouldn't be free, but unfortunately neither are experience points. The little halfling ghost for example. A teddy bear???? My dead father would be turning in his grave! Since when did the Son of Murder have to retrieve a teddy bear for a dead halfling? (since He needs to level up high enough to challenge the son of a bitch who has been trying to drain His divinity, unfortunately).
Maybe i'm being a bit too critical, maybe as the game progresses to the darker stages there will be more opportunity to express my darker self. Please please please please please someone tell me this is so.
I'd be interested to hear from other fellow followers of the dark side to reassure me that i don't have to turn back to the light after all (it is such a pain behind the eyes!!).

Old 10-26-2000, 06:27 AM   #2
varek

I feel your pain, brother. T'is difficult to stay true to ones nature when the rewards are so meager. I recall freeing a certain hostage as a chaotic neutral Fighter/Cleric, and receiving a chunk of exp, while my evil assassin held her for ransom and his reward was a pair of silver pantaloons. Although my dark priestess really grooved on my choice of action , (and she looks good in the pantaloons), it didn't do much for my ultimate goal of gaining power to crush all those who oppose me. I find myself taking the same course of action as I would as a do-gooder, simply because I desire the loot and power that exp. brings. Maybe if I was offered items only for the use of evil and somewhat less exp. , it might lessen the sting of having to conceal my true intentions constantly. The company of Korgan, Edwin, and Viconia *is* much more agreeable to me than..umm..previous companions, and the assassin/thief guild has been a lot of fun. But, let us hear the thoughts of Asphyiate, so that we may study his writings, and ponder his wisdom.

Old 10-26-2000, 10:15 AM   #3
Arrack

Evil is fun, I go around killing children and small animals and then I pay up the stupid church for better rep, then of course I pickpocket every single one of those priests. I too did the ransom quest, I have no idea what silver pantaloons are for. I of course told the fool with the ransom that the captured lady was in a house nearby and quickly proceeded back to the hostage house to sacrifice her to my Patron Baatorian Infernal Lord. But alas, the guard is there and try to kill you, a whole bunch too...ack evil is a hard path indeed.

Old 10-26-2000, 01:38 PM   #4
lordkymil

It galls me how the opportunities for evil characters are much more...limited than our foolish good counterparts. Using the slave quest as an example, after killing that miserable creature Hendak, it would have been wickedly enjoyable to have been sent by Lehtinan on a quest to CAPTURE more meat for the pits, so to speak. Now that would be a nice evil subquest to follow on from killing Hendak. *sigh* I guess I will have to satisfy my cravings by turning in that troublesome ranger Valygar and by trying to hook up with Bohdi - now there's a cold-blooded bitch if ever I saw one!

Old 10-26-2000, 04:03 PM   #5
A Mage named Rikard

EVIL SUX
As it should

Old 10-26-2000, 04:03 PM   #6
A Mage named Rikard

EVIL SUX
As it should

Old 10-26-2000, 04:06 PM   #7
A Mage named Rikard

EVIL S*CKS
As it should

Old 10-26-2000, 04:22 PM   #8
Sir Robin ran away

Wow triple posting!
This mage surely knows how to display his opinion in a way that makes any counter-arguments useless.

Old 10-26-2000, 04:22 PM   #9
Sir Robin ran away

Wow triple posting!
This mage surely knows how to display his opinion in a way that makes any counter-arguments useless.

Old 10-26-2000, 04:25 PM   #10
Sir Robin ran away

Wow triple posting!
This mage surely knows how to display his opinion in a way that makes any counter-arguments pointless.