Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2001, 10:22 PM   #1
aestra
Dungeon Master

Hi All,

First and foremost, let me say that I've only JUST discovered this forum. I really don't know why it took me this long! It's a glorious resource and hats off to anyone who's contributed, and obviously the moderators in particular.

I have been floating around the game with a couple of aborted attempts now, and the question is, exactly what does reset adventures do? I've read the definition given in the manual, but I'm still not clear. I had an original party that I mucked around with, and then another that I mucked around with, and then I am quite sure I reset adventures, and now I'm on my third group and hoping to make proper progress. The problem is, while the quests do seem to be reset, certain people do reset but others don't seem to -- for example, Kreug remains dead when I killed him originally. Note that my automap also seems to be intact. Which I'd rather not be the case.

Have I, through my eternal amnesia, somehow remembered that I reset when actually I didn't? Possibly I didn't save the game after I reset it? Or if this is all reset does, is that anyway to do a full reset with my current crop of characters, as opposed to reinstalling the game and starting all over from scratch again?

I'm also wondering if my game's got buggy, because I've finished the toadem quest, killed the Scabban Apprentices, but Shinwiki is still waiting for me to exterminate the Evil. I've touched the totem pole, pinched the stuff in the chest, but he still won't give me the magic spear...

Any ideas would be appreciated. As a last resort of course I can do an uninstall and re-install, but then I'd lose my current crop of characters whom I've grown rather, erm, fond of )

Many thanks!
aestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 11:42 PM   #2
Xignal
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome, Aestra!

Reset Adventures should work completely: your party retains its experience and most of its items while ALL quests - major and minor - are reset. When your party leaves the Inn "for the first time" you should meet Gareth all over again. Alternately choosing Revert simply resets the game to the last time your party was in an Inn.

Based on your description of your problems you might try re-installing. First, copy your saved games to a safe location (they're in the /wizardwarriors/save folder). [Note: if you want to save your "Inn party" copy the Roster.dat file from the main folder, too]

Then uninstall and re-install the game. Finally, copy those saved games back into the blank /save folder [and Roster.dat, if necessary, to the main folder]. When you start up just do a Load Game and your old party should be ready to go. [Or with the Roster.dat file intact, I'd suggest doing a Reset]

Xignal
Xignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 03:18 AM   #3
Jazzid
Manshoon

Helloo Aestra, and welcome to the board.
Following Xignal's exellent tips should help you out. But remember that the game status of your saved games remains the same even if you revert the games. So if you save and then clear all game data, and then load that particual save after having reset the changes will become undone, just as if nothing had happened.

So I suggest that you gather your party in the inn in Valeia, and then reset the game. Unless you load an old savegame, everything should be as if you'd started anew.

Good Luck // Jazzid
Jazzid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 05:42 AM   #4
aestra
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the help guys. It's just really weird at the moment. For example, I did meet Gareth all over again upon "first" time leaving the inn. But the assasin's not around anymore, nor is Kreug, and all my maps are still intact.

My quest items are also intact.

Will uninstalling and reinstalling and loading a saved game not still retain information about the maps I've discovered (which I want to undiscover) and retain all information about quests half-solved?
I'll try hopping back to Valeia and doing a reset from there, with this party in the inn. Sometime this afternoon, when I haven't got a lecture in 20 minutes )
Old 10-22-2001, 08:04 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, aestra!!!

Glad you finally found us!

Hope the reset adventures works to your satisfaction this time around. I've always found it useful to jump into a game with (if provided) the premade characters just to get a feel of the game. Once I feel comfortable, then I make my "real" party. Sounds like your primed for that now!

Keep us posted!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:51 AM   #6
aestra
Dungeon Master

Hi Wyv,

Well, I've had a stab at it, and surprising though it may be, I'm pleased to admit, that I'm BACK AT SQUARE ONE )
Possibly the thing was getting back to Valeia before I did the reset... I might have been at Ishad N'ha when I did the last one. The only annoying thing is I have to rejoin all the guilds over again, but at least, I can explore properly!

Many thanks for the help... I'm going to bury myself in the forum and catch up on the gazzillions of posts )
Old 10-22-2001, 01:07 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Yay!!!!

Yes - when you reset adventures - the game forgets everything except what your characters currently are and what they have minus quest items! Actually it can be very useful to reset adventures and play the first part over and over to gain experience. Check the Best Tips thread - there is a post in there about doing just that!

Wyv

------------------
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:49 PM   #8
aestra
Dungeon Master

Yes, things seem alright now. Although, curious thing is, I've still got a copy of H'Thark's lockpicks, and I think I've also just picked one up again after speaking to Gorthius and smacking the Jade Thieves. Hopefully, that's not going to cause a glitch?
Old 10-22-2001, 09:39 PM   #9
aestra
Dungeon Master

Well. The bugs strike again. I've sorted this problem, so here I am, breezing past the crypt, get back to Valeia, and lo and behold, the #@$*! game crashes! Sigh. Now I have to do all that all over again... double sigh...

)