Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Default Second Impressions

The downside for me is still the cut scenes - just my opinion, I know others like them.

Like others I do dislike the idea of charging for additional content and will not go there.

Upside is the size of the game and the sidequests. I need a flowchart to keep track of it all.

Tactics. Well, as some have said, pause is your friend.

Lack of gold is frustrating (I hate to ask but any spoilers would be most welcome).

That said, this is a nastily addictive game. I have rebuilt several times already and, no surprise to anyone in Undermountain, I'm trying to tank it. I may not surface again for some while.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Second Impressions

I've rerolled many times too. I still am very early in the storyline...yet I find myself so happy with such a good game that I cannot bring myself to mow through it at a fast pace, finishing it within a few days. Draw it out imo, because it's been years since such a gem has come along.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Gold was never really an issue for me, to be honest. Just buy a backpack whenever you see one in a merchant- it'll increase your maximum inventory by 10 items. Over time, it pays for itself.

There are also more... evil, but lucrative decisions to be found in the game. I definately won't spoil it, but you'll know them when you see them!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

I'm doing sidequests for money. It seems like the amount of money dropped by dead foes scales with level, is this the case or does it just seem that way?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Indeed. During your origin you might find 4 coppers on and enemy, whereas later you'd get 50 silvers (Maybe off a hurlock Alpha.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Just be glad this isn't MP, or me and Lelianna would have cleaned you guys out already...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Minor spoil

Remember to get BOTH backpacks from the merchant in Ostagar - you can get one before you are initiated and one after.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Sparhawk
Quintesson

LOL roberthebard - I have my mage put a glyph af repulsion on my purse when you are nearby.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Looking Around Re: Second Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
Just be glad this isn't MP, or me and Lelianna would have cleaned you guys out already...
She does have fast hands!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
dplax
Jack Burton

*spoilers sprinkled in the text below, you've been warned*

Played quite a bit with my human mage, so I guess I can give second impressions.

So far I've played through the mage tower and the dwarven part of the storyline. I find the reactions of various NPCs to the origin of the PC quite well done. The mage I play is a sort of good guy mage and I ratted out Jowan to the first enchanter. With another character I had done the Redcliffe storyline up to the point where you meet Jowan and I'm already looking forward to how Jowan shall react when I find him this time.

A few thoughts about the parts I've played so far:

The Mage origin story was quite enjoyable, albeit a bit short. The twist at the end of the Harrowing was quite easy to see and since I sold out Jowan the twist at the end there was also predictable, if enjoyable.

The City Elf origin story was the best origin I've played so far. Some quite well written lines, likeable and hateable characters.

I personally found the Dalish Elf origin quite short and not as good as the other two I've played so far, although it was definitely fun to play as a human-hating elf. Actually managed to have Duncan have to force me to join.

The Ostagar part of the story I am starting to get to know the best, having played it three times. It's a rather crammed part of the story where you are supposed to get all the basic lore of the game sorted out and it feels just a little bit too crowded with info.

The Mage Tower was a quite well built part although it felt a bit linear with the whole bloody trek upwards through the tower. Not having any major twist in this part also felt like a let down. It's just a simple butcher everything type of mission.

Orzammar and the Deep Roads however is definitely epic in size and scope. The available choices and outcomes just in this part are so many in number that I almost wanted to replay just this part right after I had done it. Definitely the higlight of the game.

Leliana's storyline and romance, while at times a wee bit predictable was fun and satisfying and definitely a good distraction from all the adventuring and cracking skulls.

As for the game itself...the controls are pretty good, I've come to play in over the shoulder mode, moving with the wasd keys and it works out quite well for me. The party I've used the most (when not forced to change by the plot) so far was Alistair (shield + weapon), Leliana (dual daggers) and Wynne (healing) alongside my weapon of mass destruction (aka mage). Offensive mages have an impressive amount of firepower...put a group of enemies in Blizzard + Inferno and very few will get out and you can be sure that they'll be badly damaged. The only small issue I've had here is the friendly AI not knowing that it would be best to stay out of continous area of effect spells...

Single opponents are very easily handled by my mage and he tears into the groups sufficiently for the others to finish them off. Wynne works very well as a healer, and rarely have I had to use an injury kit since she joined. Alistair is the perfect tank, especially with his new shiny ring (+con, health regen,...don't remember the exact stats). I've probably not developed Leliana quite well and she falls short of Alistair's damage delivery, but I keep her more for rp reasons than for party strength. She probably would have worked better as an archer, having already points in the skills.

The difficulty of battles is quite random. Some of them are almost impossible on normal, while others are very easily handled by a single character. I admit to having to drop the difficulty down to easy for some battles while in the learning phase of the game, but now I manage most everything with one or two reloads on normal.

Alltogether I'm having quite a blast with the game and am already contemplating several other playthroughs once this one is done.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote