Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am looking for doors for three closets with an opening of 46 inches wide, instead of the standard 48 inches. I found some at Lowes, but the hardware is so cheap on them, they don't hold up and I am returning them tonight.

Does anyone have a specialty education on doors here?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:32 PM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well could you just replace the hardware on them. Did you buy the door seperate. Or did you buy the door and the frame together?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

All of the material I need is packaged together. Plus, it is too much of a pain to keep these doors, as I am learning now. They are made for 48", but I only have 46", so I have been messing with rebuilding the doorframe just for these.
I would prefer to get new doors that fit.

And btw...these doors are hollow, so no cutting them down to fit.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I agree. Custom doors are needed. I would not change the walls to fit the doors. That would be way to much work.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

could always make the door yourself.
connect various pieces of wood of equal length/width together using dowels, glue, and vices. let it sit till the glue dries and then sand it till you like it.
then you drill the holes for the locks.
after that you paint it with whatever you want (though weatherproof paint would be good if its an outside door)
itll prolly cost a few hundred dollars in wood, but atleast then youll have a door that a criminal would need a battering ram to get past.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

how good are you with saws, hammers and leveling?
and you can cut hollow doors to fit, but you have to know a little bit about resizing, and peicing them back together, if you tell me you know enough, I can explain how to do it...

[ 09-14-2004, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 09-15-2004, 02:51 AM   #7
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

46" wide, jeeze that's wide the houses around me all have doors like 28" to maybe 30" in width.Have you thought about working around this problem by useing two smaller doors one left and one right,or maybe some sort of pocket door on a track? Maybe you might send LOA a pm he's a professional contractor I belive.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 09-15-2004, 07:40 AM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Couldn't Lowe's or Home Depot order the one you need? I had a similar problem this Spring. They did have the odd sized door I needed, but it wasn't the style we had wanted. They offered to order what I wanted, but the price was so ridiculous that we learned to love the one in stock.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

What I'd do is go into Lowe's (or wherever) and ask for help.

"I've got an existing door opening that's 46" wide. I need a new door to go in there. How can you help me do this?"

Then wait for the response. It may be "we'll have to order one", it may be "well, do you mind if it's two doors", it may be "how about putting in a pocket door", or it may be something else entirely.

Enlist them in your problem, and they'll help find the solution.

Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:14 AM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Couldn't Lowe's or Home Depot order the one you need? I had a similar problem this Spring. They did have the odd sized door I needed, but it wasn't the style we had wanted. They offered to order what I wanted, but the price was so ridiculous that we learned to love the one in stock.
You just answered your own question in my regard, silly man! Lol!

However, the cheaper model that I ended up with that I was going to use as a substitute was so bad, I returned it all.

Maybe I will take that advice and call on my old pal Lord of Alcohol. He probably knows what I need.

Thanks!