Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-29-2002, 09:40 PM   #1
Deaths Touch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

should i go for wakizashi (style) or shortsword (realism)? also, short or long bow? i was thinking tuigan bow for firing rate.. anyways.. i know i will want the leather of the shadow dragon eventually, but what else should i go for? thanks all
To kill a witch: <br />just as the clock strikes midnite, drive a nail into the heart of an oak tree, then burn a stick of maple, and draw an X on the oak tree with its ashes, then get your .45 and shoot the old hag.
Deaths Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

SPOILER SPACE:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Short bow, since you can use

Tuigan bow
Gesen bow (eventually)
and the bow from Trademeet that doesn't use ammo, shoots bolts of energy instead

Unless you have Bonus Merchant's CD installed, I wouldnt' bother with Wakizashi; Short Sword is far better.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 02:10 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The most important equipment for an Assassin is the Boots of Speed. With it, you can backstab and run repeatedly.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 02:25 AM   #4
eb
Manshoon

Humm... Can´t an assasin use Long Sword?
If thats the case you can do massive damage with backstab and like Dundee said you can run like hell with the Boots of Speed.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:01 AM   #5
Servii
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Take "Ring of Air Control" From A.Mart and as many rings of invisibility as possibleand "Cloak of non-detection"(second flor in the Den of Seaven Whales in Waekin's Promenade, in the Sorceror Amon)Than you are able to backstab and go invisible, atack and do the same...this Cloak is VERY important for all kind of Thiefs
Servii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 06:12 AM   #6
Servii
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And for backstabing use katanas (Celestial Fury) Their damage is 1d10+The damage of the long swords is 1d8+. There is Long Sword 2d4+3 in the Shop of Bernard(Cop. Coronet)I don't know whether it is an error or has been made on purpose. If yoy are an Assassin after level 17(???) your backstam modifier is 7, so there is significant difference between damage of the long swords and katanas especially if your opponent is a Mage/Sor.
Servii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:08 AM   #7
eb
Manshoon

Okey thx. Now i know i must go and change back to Katanas on my Assasin. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2002, 12:52 PM   #8
Nifft the Nimble

Do you have ToB installed?

If so, take Scimitars/Wakazishi/Ninja-To and go to Watcher's Keep. There you will find, on the first level, a +4 Wakazishi that does electrical damage. Katanas are pretty good; you'll find some up to +3 eventually. But nothing beats having a +4 weapon right at the start of the game.

Other scimitars of note: Belm +2 give you an extra attack, which is very useful if you are trying to poison someome. Scarlet Ninja-To (+3, monks only unless you have ToB and are high level) does poison damage and gives you an extra attack.

Long Swords are also more useful than Katanas early on. You can steal, er, buy a long sword that does fire damage many places (good vs. trolls). There's Daystar, amazingly useful vs. undead -- it will get you out of situations that are otherwise sure death to a solo assassin. Namara is a long sword which can cast Silence 15' Radius and does +4 damage (though it's only +2 to-hit). Again, easy to get early on. Adjutha the Drinker +2 shields you from Charm/Domination and heals you every time it hits. You'll find Adjutha on your quest to rescue the Boots of Speed. Ras is available for theft, er, sale in Trademeet. It is a +2 sword which will fight for you, acting like a Mordekein's Sword. The Blade of Roses is available from Bernard; it does 2d4+3 and gives you +2 Charisma. (Who cares, though, you're just going to steal stuff.)

If you're evil, you'll end SoA with another very nice +3 long sword.

Finally, you will leave Irenicus' dungeon with a long sword +1. That's 2-9 damage vs. 1-10 damage (for a plain unenchanted katana). Average damage is identical (4.5), the long sword is +1 to-hit.

There are some great short swords in the game, which I won't go into unless asked; however, saying that katanas are better than long swords is just plain wrong. Some people have good reasons for using katanas: Valygar's blade is very nice, and Yoshimo is using them for color.

You are playing a solo assassin, though, and don't need any extra burdens.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:05 PM   #9
Nifft the Nimble

I just remembered:

You also will want to put a point in Quarterstaves. They're the only long (two-handed) weapon that you have access to, and they're one of the few blunt weapons you have access to. There are plenty of powerful quarterstaves in the game -- and if you have ToB and get the Use Any Item ability, there's one which will make you very very happy -- but the point early on is that there are situations where you'll want to bash something through a doorway, and the only way to do that without gettting hit is to be using a 2-handed weapon.

Finally, you'll need a blunt weapon to kill some golems.

Good luck!

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 01:05 PM   #10
QFLASH
The Magister

where is watchers keep, i must have missed this section....and i'm already in Underdark!!!(sorry to change subject)
QFLASH is offline   Reply With Quote