Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-28-2002, 11:05 AM   #1
QFLASH
The Magister

what are the most useful spells a mage could arm him/herself with and why?
i usually play the monk type and don't have the best knowledge in magic, what usually works against the beasties? I feel that i haven't used my party to the ful extent cause i leave mages in the background and use breach and dispel magic every now and then? any suggetsions on some helpful spells(hints)
QFLASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:18 AM   #2
Meanal
Dungeon Master

i only really know one excellent spell and thats "magic missiles" its a level 1 spell

because every time the mage levels up you gain one extra missile

and but im not too sure about this one but i think that you gain an extra damage point per level
Old 01-28-2002, 11:28 AM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

7th level Mordenkainen's Magnificent Sword, best summoning spell in the game, the sword is immune to everything except: Golem Breath Weapon, Level Drain and Dragon Breath, so far my summoned swords have proved immune to all other damage.

They're also a bit magical if I'm not mistaken.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:38 AM   #4
QFLASH
The Magister

if you had to get through magical defenses, what order of spells would you use?

also, i have found the lightning spell to do more damage to my party then the enemy due to its ability to bounce back of walls!!! this spell sucks or am i using it wrong?
Old 01-28-2002, 11:52 AM   #5
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Melf's Minute Meteors will get you through most of the game. You throw them at 5/round and are considered +5 when considering what to hit, iirc. Try them when the rest of the party is saying "This weapon has no effect..."
Old 01-28-2002, 11:57 AM   #6
QFLASH
The Magister

would those work against an adamantine golem?
MMM's???
Old 01-28-2002, 12:45 PM   #7
Auraleus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

MMM,Breach,Mantle/Greatermantle,protection for evil, chant, prayer, aid, doom, greater malaise, summon elementals... god almost every spell is good and very useful in different situations..

Favorite spell ever tho... Summon Cow
True you can only get it by cheating and using Shadowkeeper...
But.. it drops a cow on the enemy! I mean a COW falls out from the sky and hits the mob! A COW! FROM NOWHERE! hehehe
Old 01-28-2002, 01:32 PM   #8
QFLASH
The Magister

how much damage does that do?
Old 01-28-2002, 02:44 PM   #9
chevalier mal fet
Dungeon Master

While not really useful against boss level enemies, its amazing how effective the 5th level spell chaos is thruout most of the game. One chaos spell quickly cast into a horde, of even fairly high level enemies usuall ensures that at least half of them are too confused to attack you for several rounds, allowing you to go over and put a beat down on that mage whos buffing himself up.

Also...."improved haste" is the ultimate buff spell...its amazing how much faster you enemies fall when everyone has double the amount of attacks per round as they normally do. ( a fighter with a normal attack rate of 4 per round is attacking an enemy a whopping 8 timed per round)
chevalier mal fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:43 PM   #10
PeeWee
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by chevalier mal fet:
While not really useful against boss level enemies, its amazing how effective the 5th level spell chaos is thruout most of the game. One chaos spell quickly cast into a horde, of even fairly high level enemies usuall ensures that at least half of them are too confused to attack you for several rounds, allowing you to go over and put a beat down on that mage whos buffing himself up.

What are the good spells tho to use against that mage who is buffing himself up? In other words, what spells would a good mage use to buff himnself up first? Then what spells are there to knock these defenses down? I've written a lengthy post earlier under the daystar describing my fight against a caster. Was great but wasn't anything solid.

Also, what can one tell by graphics like what do the buffing spells look like or how do you know if one of your spells actually is sticking? Sometimes I see mages cast the spell that mirror images themselves, stoneskin, then the lightening under the feet... dunno what this one is for. Is it protection against missile dmg? What does protection from magic look like? And does it cause immunity against magic missles/melee? I've also seen fire shields and thats about it. Oh and the occasional invis.

Say a mage wants to buff....

**List buffs against magic spells here/what it can visually look like:

**Things that can knock this down:

**List of buffs that protects against missle dmg or melee dmg/what it can look like:

** Things that can nullify this:

Just wanted to add my inquery too.

Thanks for readin,
PeeWee