Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-07-2001, 11:00 PM   #1
Archaon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ive never really understood turning undead. theres no reference in the manual about what it actually does. so what does it actually do? are there any downsides?

------------------
Master Of Sorcery... Slave To Darkness
Old 03-07-2001, 11:03 PM   #2
Raistlin
Manshoon

It causes them to literally turn around and go the other way. I never really used it much in BGII. If I remember right, the chance, the number of creatures affected and the duration are all dependent upon the level of the caster. As far as I know there is no downside.

------------------

Balance
Old 03-07-2001, 11:08 PM   #3
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

A high level Good priest should be able to destory weak undead with it and a high level evil should gain control of them.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:11 PM   #4
sirgwayne

TURNING UNDEAD IS AWESOME! It works best when your cleric is at higher levels and Palidins also aquire this attribute at higher levels I believe? clerics are desighned for using this battling technique though and can really save your can in some truely heated battles with lot's of undead. think of it as like a person fighting a vampire with a cross! and like I said at high levels a priest can actually instantly destroy an undead creature!!(making them EXPLODE)

------------------

Walk lightly my friend.

Old 03-07-2001, 11:15 PM   #5
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

Turning undead is the chaneling of the gods power throught a priest to disrupt a creature's conection to the Negative energy plane:

Every undead (Save Mummies) is connected to the negative energy Plane basicly it what gives the undead the power to walk after it's dead. Intelligent Undead's like Vampires and liches can Draw from the Negative Energy plane (Thta's why they have cool power like Lv Drain).

A priest is a severvant of a god, That god has a certain view on the Undead (some evil gods love undead, others detest them, same for the good gods and neutral).

Gods that hate the undead do this(Ex: Helm, lolth)

When a priest turn undead he is calling opoun his god to chanel power throught him. The higher Lv the priest is the more power can be chanaled. This power weakens (or severes) the link the undead has with the negative energy plane. So the undead flees to avoid loosing power or the god chanaled enghou power to uterly destroy the link wich kills the undead.

God who don't mind undead do this(Ex:Torm, Shar)

It's basicly the same save instead of destroying the link, the god gives to power to the priest to control this link to the negative energy plane, so the priest now commands the undead if powerful enghou or the undead flees in fear of being dominated.

The only disadvatage is a priest cannot attack or cast spell while turning undead. In the old ad&d rules the priest even had to have his holy symble in hand to turn. If he lost it to bad he lost the power to turn.

well thath the long way to explain it I guess nei?
Old 03-07-2001, 11:18 PM   #6
sirgwayne

Strahd Von
Zarovich,
Man someone has definately done thier homework! Nice!

------------------

Walk lightly my friend.

Old 03-08-2001, 02:58 AM   #7
Nostron
Manshoon

Hey, turning undead is great, here's a tip, make ur cleric take an invisibility potion or have ur mage turn your cleric invisible. then turn undead and walk around blowing up all the vampire and mummies all over the place. it's a great sight.

ps. u have to be in a high enough level to make the undead blow up.

------------------
Mess with the best Die like the Rest!!
Old 03-08-2001, 03:55 AM   #8
Lord Shield

Additionally, if you have an evil cleric (such as Viconia), sou CONTROL undead, rather than TURN them

Old 03-08-2001, 05:40 AM   #9
Dimension X
Dungeon Master

Hehe...

You know in Chapter 6, when we had the final Bodhi encounter?

Turn Undead (Lvl 17) rocked in the main room...

The Fledging Vampires got toasted.

Haha...(I'm a sadist)

------------------
A Drawn Sword;
A Trickle Of Blood;
The Tempest Is Brewing.
Nemesis....
Old 03-08-2001, 10:11 AM   #10
Lillie
Dungeon Master

Man, I *LOVE* Turn Undead.

Nothing like making those vampires go "poof" - especially as payback for when they owned me in Chapter 2

I'm currently playing IWD (almost in Chapter 4) - lots of undead there as well. Having my cleric "turn" them has worked out great!