Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-10-2001, 11:20 PM   #1
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Hi Yorick! I'm just wondering where you are now ... what adventures you've enjoyed ... who you're with ... where you're going next ... the tales seem to have dried up?

I hope all is well with you oh talented one!

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for truth, I am
now looking for a good
fantasy.

For R³ in thanks:
Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:28 PM   #2
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yes, do tell Yorick!

------------------
Old 08-11-2001, 12:53 AM   #3
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

Teaching a couple of Yanks how to play cricket

------------------

Get The IronWorks Winamp skin
Slackerboys Custom Characters
Old 08-11-2001, 02:01 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

He's heading up to New York in a couple of weeks, I believe.

------------------
Old 08-11-2001, 03:13 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Ah Bilqis, Wendy, Memnoch I'm in a room with Slackerboy and Nick in Tennasee. I've been working a fair bit on some recordings here. I'll talk to Slackerboy about sending out some work-in-progress if you like.

New York was incredible, and as Memnoch said, I'll be back up there soon. Actually in a weird way New York seemed the most like Sydney out of every non-Oz city I've been. The harbour, the multitudes of races, the urbanism, the artistic pulse. It's just that New York dwarfs Sydney so staggeringly!

Even when I went out to the Hamptons, it felt like a Palm Beach/Avalon kind of place (both "Northern Beaches" outer Sydney Suburbs) I did some singing in the city, met some great people, some great players and just drank it in. Manhatten at night was an incredible view from my friends apartment downtown. In some ways I felt like the provincial Roman citizen, reaching eternal Rome. I mean, the WTO and United Nations are both there. So many decisions here reverberate around the world.

The crime freaks me out though. New York is apparently "safe as houses". Four people were shot where I was standing a few days after I left town. Whoa. Certainly not Sydney.

Nashville has been cool. They have these free concerts on the riverbank in the middle of the city each thursday. It's a magnet for the young and young at heart. Plenty of eye candy and a big street party atmosphere abounds.

I must say America is the land of the big. Big, huge petrol guzzling cars, big servings of food, huge takeaway drinks, big people... everywhere. Some of the biggest I've ever seen, and not just one or two as in other nations, but everywhere. From articles I've read here it is a matter of national concern. Funny thing is in Australia I'm large clothing size, in Singapore I'm extra large (if anything fits at all) but here in the States, I'm NOT EVEN MEDIUM! Even medium swam on me. I'm six foot tall, and small?

It certainly is a land of abundance. Everywhere in Nashville are "hiring now" -jobs advertised all over. An abundance of trees, land, space and beautiful houses.

America is beyond generalisation and compression it seems. What I've seen of the south is worlds away from Manhatten. Car culture to subway/cab culture. Food is different, accents different, the people are different. In 100 metres in Manhatten I passed Hassidic Jews with their black coats hats and beards in the scorching sun, Europeans, West Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Hispanics and crazy African-Americans - one in a purple suit complete with purple hat cane and cape being yelled at by another African-American for beeing "Mr.Cool". Mr Purple cooly walked around whistling and ignoring the abuser.

Colour, colour, colour. Larger than life. A magnet it seems for all the races under the sun.

Times square was abuzz. Shows everywhere, ads for these shows everywhere.

No simple post will do this justice. I shall dwell more on these things and post more later. I didn't even mention Philadelphia, which also was very very pretty and had a character all its own.

Know that I am happy. Loving this country and its people. I hope to see more of it and spend more time here, Time will tell on that regard.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-11-2001, 06:43 AM   #6
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

That was fascinating! It's very interesting to read of one's own country from the perspective of a citizen from another ... especially one as well traveled as you are Yorick! I look forward to your next "installment". Thank you. I'm so glad you are well and happy!

------------------

Having abandoned my
search for truth, I am
now looking for a good
fantasy.

For R³ in thanks:
Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 08-11-2001).]
Old 08-11-2001, 11:30 AM   #7
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
That was fascinating! It's very interesting to read of one's own country from the perspective of a citizen from another ... especially one as well traveled as you are Yorick! I look forward to your next "installment". Thank you. I'm so glad you are well and happy!

I agree with Bilquis. Very interesting to see the perspective of someone as intelligent and eloquent as Yorick.

Yorick, if you get tired of the big cities, come visit in Carolina and I'll take you hiking in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.

Old 08-11-2001, 11:44 AM   #8
Moni

Yorick,
It was such a pleasure to come here this morning and read your post!
I am glad you are happy and having such a wonderful time.

I am left wondering if perhaps you crossed paths with my son in Philedelphia LOL...he just recently left New Jersey to return to his girlfriend in AZ and even though he lived in Jersey, he spent every spare minute he could in downtown Philly, taking in all he could of that cities history and culture and marveling at the differences between it and the U.S. southwest where he grew up.

We would love to keep you here forever, each and every one of us. If you could lottery your time I am sure you would find that you have plenty of hosts in this country who would vie for your time in an effort to be able to show you all of the beauty and inspiration that this country has to offer in each of its unique states.

Wherever your travels take you, I wish you only more happiness as you go along.

Moni

------------------

Old 08-11-2001, 12:38 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I agree with Bilquis. Very interesting to see the perspective of someone as intelligent and eloquent as Yorick.

Yorick, if you get tired of the big cities, come visit in Carolina and I'll take you hiking in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.

Hi, Diogenes, just wanted to say I'm glad you made it here.

------------------
Old 08-11-2001, 12:49 PM   #10
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

Hi, Diogenes, just wanted to say I'm glad you made it here.

Thanks, Memnoch. It is a pleasure to be here