Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2003, 09:02 PM   #21
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hey send one to my email.. im kinda curious ..

hjackgas@hotmail.com or harkoliar@lycos.co.uk thanks!

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-03-2003, 12:44 AM   #22
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sure, would like to check it out, thanks! kathen7700@aol.com
Old 11-03-2003, 07:58 AM   #23
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Ok, Sir K, I'm looking over the chart and your email and I have a couple of questions.

How do I determine my one rep max?

Grab a dumbell, start pumping, try to do it 8-12 times adn see if you really need to give everything you got to finish the rep.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:48 AM   #24
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

The 1/2 neg stands for a negative repetition or, as some refer to it, a half rep. Do you know how to do these? Also, the three places at the end of the worksheet that have a single repetition are the tests.

When warming up, you don't want to strain. Do a few sets of progressive weights, starting off light, and ending at about 2/3 of your max weight. Only do enough reps to warm up and loosen up the muscles. This may take a little experimentation on your part to find out what works best for you. Your warm up requirements also change as you go on, so always think about how your muscles feel for future reference.

On how to get your 1 rep max, you will NEED a partner. First warm up. Then, figure about 2/3 of your body weight (if you are in decent shape and not seriously overweight) or two times the weight you can do ten times and give it a try. Keep upping the weight 5 lbs. until you can't lift it. Back down five pounds at a time if you can't lift it. Use common sense with this approach. If you can easily lift the weight, you can add more than five pounds at a time. If it drops on you like a loony tunes safe, take off more than five. This will give you your starting weight.

You should use free weights with a partner always for the maximum benefit. If you don't have free weights, machines are certainly better than nothing. Just remember that negatives need a partner and negatives are a crucial part of the program. Always remeber that the weight you do on a machine is only for that make and model of machine. If you change to another type of machine or free weights, you must recalculate your one rep max. Machines always support the weight in one way or another and each machine is different.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 11-04-2003, 01:23 AM   #25
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i got it .. thanks mate! i havent checked it yet since im studying for finals.. will just pm you if i have problems.. cheers!

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-04-2003, 11:40 AM   #26
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:
quote:
Ok, Sir K, I'm looking over the chart and your email and I have a couple of questions.

How do I determine my one rep max?

Grab a dumbell, start pumping, try to do it 8-12 times adn see if you really need to give everything you got to finish the rep.
[/QUOTE]Zuv, your one rep max is the maximum amount of weight you can lift one time. This is the number concentrated on when developing strength. You're in sports. Coaches usually want you to do lots of reps with lighter weights to develop endurance and pain tolerance. In sports like wrestling, gaining weight can work against you if you enter a higher class.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:49 PM   #27
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Come on! Nobody else around here lifts weights?
Oops, I guess I missed this thread until now, but I lift weights. Actually, I work out 6 days a week.
And Arledrian, just because this forum is for games doesn't mean that people that work out don't play games. I enjoy playing video games, but I also enjoy working out and playing sports. That assumption of yours is just a stereotype; it's not true.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 11-04-2003, 07:19 PM   #28
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

My son and started tonight, and there is nothing like bringing the pain. We're looking forward to this program, so thanks for sharing and the helpful emails. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 08:00 PM   #29
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmm yeah I also have to say that's a bad stereotype Arledrian - you assuming all we do is play computer games and drink beer. Personally I'm also a sports freak besides doing that stuff. Like today I played badminton for 1.5 hours then straight afterwards had a 2.5 hour martial arts training session. 4 hours of sport today - nice Am completely knackered...

err sorry that was OT - anyway, Sir K I have to say I completely disagree with the whole idea of body-building - why would you want to do it unless you want to enter a strong man competition and weigh 300 pounds? Don't get me wrong, I go to the gym for at least 3 hours a week (besides playing 5 hours of badminton and 4 hours of martial arts) but I do light weight high rep excercises (toning) - an athletic body is much more desirable than a big heaving mass who can bench press a huge weight but has no endurance or agility. And girls like the athletic body too Besides, you still build strength when toning just not as quickly as with high weight low rep. High weight low rep is also bad cos you build this huge mass up but when you stop training it'll turn to flab. I mean when you're old like 50 or 60, you'll eventually stop and then you'll have this great bulk that you will have to diet to get rid of as all the muscle shrivels.

I believe that excercises using your own body weight are best - so I do a lot of chin-ups and presups - this builds strength amazingly as well -

[ 11-04-2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #30
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:

Does it have to be with free weights, or will machines work if necessary?

Machines and free-weights both have their inherent pros and cons. Free-weights are better in that they build all the little muscles around the main muscle that you are training because you also have to keep the weight in balance. Machines are better because you always lift the weight in a fixed trajectory so you can really concentrate on a specific muscle/muscle group and also there is less chance of injury because of the limited movement of the weights on a machine.

[ 11-04-2003, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray