Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2001, 09:46 PM   #1
Shadow
Manshoon

I need help with my homework.

Can someone give me a brief discription of Artemis?

------------------
The Black Killer
Old 06-07-2001, 09:50 PM   #2
Lioness
Jack Burton

Artemis was the Greek goddess of the hunt. She is twin to Apollo, god of the sun. She is also sometimes referred to as the goddess of the moon. her father is Zeus, king of the gods.
Hope you get your homework done. i luved studying Greece.

------------------
Lioness

The Lion is strong, but the Lioness can overcome.

And will.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:52 PM   #3
Shadow
Manshoon

thx!

------------------
The Black Killer
Old 06-08-2001, 02:58 AM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
Artemis was the Greek goddess of the hunt. She is twin to Apollo, god of the sun. She is also sometimes referred to as the goddess of the moon. her father is Zeus, king of the gods.

Was that knowledge off the top of your head? Way to go Lioness.Mythology is class, shame I never studied too much.

But Disney's Herecules was a good film...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lavindathar (edited 06-08-2001).]
Old 06-08-2001, 06:52 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:

Just adding to this -correct- information :

Their mother was Leto, Artemis is especially known for being the goddess of the hunt, the moon and of chastity (when she is referred to as goddess of the moon, and Apollo as god of the sun, the actual (minor) gods who carry the moon respectively the sun are Selene and Helios).
Once, a hunter stumbled upon her bathing in a river. She was so enraged that she turned him into a stag and let loose her dogs on him, who tore him to pieces. However, she is also known for deeds of great mildness and generosity. For example, when the Greek prepared to sail for Troy, the Delphic oracle predicted a safe travel if Iphigenia, daughter to the Greek warlord Agamemnon was sacrificed to the gods. Agamemnon agreed to do this, but (according to one version of the story) as Iphigenia lay on the altar and the priest lifted his dagger, Artemis came from the sky to rescue her, and placed a deer on the stone slab to be sacrificed (see the similarities with the biblical Adam/Isaac story/)
To Artemis, all life is sacred and she goes to great lengths to protect it.
Artemis is also known as Phoebe (compare Phoibos/Phoebus = Apollo), and in Roman Mythology as Diana.
Hope this helps...not sure how extensive your info should be.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-08-2001, 06:58 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

But Disney's Herecules was a good film...

Oh NO!!!! That movie sucks!!! It is a shameless falsification of actual mythology. Leave it to those d*mn prudes to make Hercules (Herakles) the legitimate child of Hera and Zeus!! He was soooo not that! Herakles was the bastard child of Zeus and Alkmene, making Hera (Zeus' wife), not Hades, his Arch Enemy (Hades may be the god of the underworld, he is not intrinsically evil). A probably etymological explanation of his name is Hera's curse!
Grrr...I hate it when they twist stories to fit happy happy Disney films

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-08-2001, 07:05 AM   #7
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

Oh NO!!!! That movie sucks!!! It is a shameless falsification of actual mythology. Leave it to those d*mn prudes to make Hercules (Herakles) the legitimate child of Hera and Zeus!! He was soooo not that! Herakles was the bastard child of Zeus and Alkmene, making Hera (Zeus' wife), not Hades, his Arch Enemy (Hades may be the god of the underworld, he is not intrinsically evil). A probably etymological explanation of his name is Hera's curse!
Grrr...I hate it when they twist stories to fit happy happy Disney films

I hate it when Hollywood twists anything to make a good film

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

[This message has been edited by Sir_Tainly (edited 06-08-2001).]

Old 06-08-2001, 07:35 AM   #8
Leagle
Manshoon

Just dismiss Disney films and try not to take your lore from them.