Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2003, 02:54 AM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

OK, I said I was going to sleep, but I read a little farther, and I found this:

Ensuite nous avons monté Arkane avec 1 million de francs, ce qui nous permettait de faire une demo tranquillement dans des bureaux en partant de rien... nous avons alors compris que ce ne serait pas simple: malgré une demo plutôt convaincante, les éditeurs étaient un peu froids car il fallait convaincre un éditeur qu'une société sortie de nulle part allait faire un RPG « à la grande » avec une équipe de 5 personnes en partant de Direct X et Visual C++

Then we started Arkane with one million francs, which allowed us to prepare a demo peacefully in our offices without leaving anything out... we had, then, understood that it would not be a simple task: in spite of a more-or-less convincing demo, the publishers were a bit cold. We had to convince a publisher that a company that came from nowhere was going to make a grand-style RPG with a team of five people knowledgeable in DirectX and Visual C++

What he is saying is that they started with 1 million francs, which allowed them to peacefully create a demo starting from nothing at all. (That's where the problem is. He meant that they started from nothing, not that they left nothing out) But the hardest part would be to find a publisher. It would be hard to convince a publisher that 5 guys could create a big comercial rpg starting from (in this case, "en partant" mean "begining with" or "starting from" or "based on") Direct X and VisualC++

This should read like:

Then we started Arkane with one million francs, which allowed us to peacefully prepare a demo from nothing in our offices. We had, then, understood that it would not be a simple task: in spite of a more-or-less convincing demo, the publishers were a bit cold. We had to convince a publisher that a company that came from nowhere was going to make a grand-style RPG with a team of five people using DirectX and Visual C++

I personally think that the office part has no significance and make the translation sound akward. I think it would sound a lot better if that sentence finished at "nothing".
Old 05-18-2003, 07:00 AM   #12
WillowIX
Apophis

I'll just read the French version. Strange that they didn't put up the interview in English as well. I could almost say "bad PR". And they didn't ask about a release date either.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:37 PM   #13
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Exclamation

I think that they didn't translate to english at the time of the interview due to the un-offical boycot of french products by the people of the United States. Which is about to end because we have finally realized that it's the French Government that we were at odds with and not the people and their products.
My friend Terry in Los Angeles said that the programers of Arx 2 were afraid to publish it in France alone and that they where here in the U.S. looking for a publisher quite A few months before the Expo in L.A. so that they would have a better chance to make a profet and have the game marketed here as well as in Europe at the same time.
Like the interviewer my dumb friend didn't ask when it would come out, Hell that would have been My first question, And he's a professor. I called him a twit and he just laughed.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:35 PM   #14
ocelot
Dungeon Master

Great game and if this one is better then the last I hope I can mix up a batch of heal cake's for myself (with garlic)
Old 05-19-2003, 12:01 AM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Luvian, feel free to edit away for clarity. It's been a long time since I've had to translate, all my dictionaries are still packed away, and babelfish.altavista.com was no help unless I added accents to letters where appropriate, and that was just too much work

I guess I forgot the disclaimer that nothing I write should be taken as gospel, and there's always another interpretation that may be better.

BTW, what about the paragraph I gave up on? I'm curious on that one... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:47 AM   #16
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
I think that they didn't translate to english at the time of the interview due to the un-offical boycot of french products by the people of the United States. Which is about to end because we have finally realized that it's the French Government that we were at odds with and not the people and their products.
My friend Terry in Los Angeles said that the programers of Arx 2 were afraid to publish it in France alone and that they where here in the U.S. looking for a publisher quite A few months before the Expo in L.A. so that they would have a better chance to make a profet and have the game marketed here as well as in Europe at the same time.
Like the interviewer my dumb friend didn't ask when it would come out, Hell that would have been My first question, And he's a professor. I called him a twit and he just laughed.
Well, if that is true, thats so stupid. [img]smile.gif[/img]

THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED TRANSLATE THIS!!! I'll add this to the new site, and once we go live, you can see how it looks [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-19-2003, 03:52 AM   #17
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Luvian, feel free to edit away for clarity. It's been a long time since I've had to translate, all my dictionaries are still packed away, and babelfish.altavista.com was no help unless I added accents to letters where appropriate, and that was just too much work

I guess I forgot the disclaimer that nothing I write should be taken as gospel, and there's always another interpretation that may be better.

BTW, what about the paragraph I gave up on? I'm curious on that one... [img]smile.gif[/img]
C'est entre autre sa complémentarité qui faisait sa force. C'est ce qui a fait que la mayonnaise a monté ! Ultima Underworld n'avait pas plein de stats.
Ultima 7 non plus.

Its complementarity gives it its force. That's what made the mayonnaise rise up! Ultima Underworld didn't have a lot of stats... Ultima 7 either. {I give on this paragraph!}

Humm... instead of "force", I would use "strength", beside that you translated it very well... it's just a very strange expression...

I still havn't read all the interview, I'll try to read it tomorow if I get some time.

[ 05-19-2003, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]