Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2002, 01:01 PM   #11
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Going into turn-based mode might be possible, but it is not an advantage in any way, you're actually giving away an advantage by doing that as you can no longer dodge enemy ranged attacks.
I have to disagree on that. Turning to turn based isn't always giving away your advantage. Sometimes it gives you a big advantage. When going into a tomb in MM7, i always went in with turn based on so that i could overlook the field and take out the ones that i wanted to take out first without them all coming at you from the get go. It really helped when you got into a crowded little room. Spellcasting is also a lot easier in turn based.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:08 PM   #12
MagiK

I cast my vote to have a seperate MM board, I think the series is worthy of a home of its own, even if it isnt a MM9 board make it a Might and Magic general baord, the Heroes games AND the RPG games are worth it. Just my vote....

Old 03-28-2002, 01:10 PM   #13
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
In M&M 8 you could have a dragon in your party. I loved that. I also liked the card game ArcoMage.

Does anyone know if ArcoMage is in the new game?

(I guess I'm in the minority...I liked M&M 6-8. Not every game has to be a deep CRPG.)

Mark
I agree Skydude [img]smile.gif[/img] Im with you and Sir Michael!

Old 03-28-2002, 01:11 PM   #14
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I've played all but the last individual modules (campaigns) of Heroes of Might and Magic but not the M&M crpgs. I think the misc. board might cover that, but again I don't know the crpg version at all.

Cloudy
I wish I had had the chance to play HoMM with you online [img]smile.gif[/img] would have been a hoot!

Old 03-28-2002, 01:13 PM   #15
MagiK

Sir Michael, despite some purists objections I believe that the M&M series were indeed CRPGS they were different from BG 1&2 sure, but so was Daggerfall and so was just about everyother non-Bioware CRPG.

Old 03-28-2002, 01:15 PM   #16
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by JR Jansen:
quote:
Going into turn-based mode might be possible, but it is not an advantage in any way, you're actually giving away an advantage by doing that as you can no longer dodge enemy ranged attacks.
I have to disagree on that. Turning to turn based isn't always giving away your advantage. Sometimes it gives you a big advantage. When going into a tomb in MM7, i always went in with turn based on so that i could overlook the field and take out the ones that i wanted to take out first without them all coming at you from the get go. It really helped when you got into a crowded little room. Spellcasting is also a lot easier in turn based.[/QUOTE]I have to disagree on THAT, I've always found it easier when I've been able to dodge attacks.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:41 PM   #17
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
quote:
quote:
I have to disagree on that. Turning to turn based isn't always giving away your advantage. Sometimes it gives you a big advantage. When going into a tomb in MM7, i always went in with turn based on so that i could overlook the field and take out the ones that i wanted to take out first without them all coming at you from the get go. It really helped when you got into a crowded little room. Spellcasting is also a lot easier in turn based.[/QUOTE]I have to disagree on THAT, I've always found it easier when I've been able to dodge attacks.[/QUOTE]Well, dodging attacks is indeed easier in real time but, as i said, when in a crowded little room, turn based can save your life. It's not as if you have a lot of space to dodge anyway.
You also go out from the fact that the enemy has a ranged attack. Not all of them have it and if you are facing some in outdoor areas, that can easely be countered by a fly or shield spell.
It sounds to me that you mostly go in and start shooting like mad and don't use to many offensive spells. Which is fine. You can play an mm game like that and can as easely win it, but if you use a lot of magic, turn based is a life saver. And from what i gather, it'll be even more important in the upcoming mm9.
Editors note : thank god somebody is using turn based as opposed to all the real time stuff wich has been used ad nausuem lately.
Old 03-28-2002, 01:44 PM   #18
MagiK

Quote:
quote:
quote:
I have to disagree on that. Turning to turn based isn't always giving away your advantage. Sometimes it gives you a big advantage. When going into a tomb in MM7, i always went in with turn based on so that i could overlook the field and take out the ones that i wanted to take out first without them all coming at you from the get go. It really helped when you got into a crowded little room. Spellcasting is also a lot easier in turn based.[/QUOTE]I have to disagree on THAT, I've always found it easier when I've been able to dodge attacks.[/QUOTE]Speaking for an older and less agile and reflexive group...I like to have the option for turn based [img]smile.gif[/img] Im not as quick in the hand eye coordination as I was 20 years ago [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2002, 07:17 PM   #19
Sir Michael
Manshoon

Plus the fact that turn-based gives you time to think about where you want to move, what spells to cast, what enemies to take out, etc. without stumbling into a situation of sudden death as seems to happen so often in DII and other games.

I particularly like the implementation of turn vs real-time in the MM series. All you have to do is hit the enter key, so it is possible to switch between them on the fly, as the situation warrants.

Another disadvantage of real-time in the MM series is that monsters are distributed in clumps, so even though you can see them, they might not see you, or be able to respond to you until you attack. In real time mode, you are more likely to stumble into the field of attack of more monsters at a time than you really want to deal with.
\"You see things; and you say \'Why?\' But I dream things that never were; and I say \'Why not?\'\"<br />-George Bernard Shaw<br /><br />\"Men take only their needs into consideration never their abilities.\"<br />-Napoleon Bonaparte
Old 03-28-2002, 07:40 PM   #20
fable
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
In M&M 8 you could have a dragon in your party. I loved that. I also liked the card game ArcoMage.

Does anyone know if ArcoMage is in the new game?
Arcomage appears to be out. So is alchemy. From what I've seen, the AI is significantly better, so there are fewer mobs to face. Spell system has been drastically revised (although some spells have been carried over from M&M VI-VIII): each spell now requires a rating in two or three out of four spell schools, so that you may need to be an Expert in Light Magic and a Master in Dark Magic to learn and cast a particular spell.

Very atmospheric dungeons. Beet Hoven (where, naturally, you're sent by a beet dealer, Ludwig Van--what a pun) is really pretty well done.

Maps stink. No ability to annotate them. No stores indicated on them.