Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2002, 07:02 AM   #1
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

What are your views of software piracy. I personally don't use pirated software (Well I have a few copied programs, but that is mainly due to the fact that I dont have the £100 plus pounds that some of these programs cost). I think that software prices should be considerably lowered, even games are becoming to much to afford. I still remember the day when you could get a box full of Amstrad games for a couple of Quid. I understand that games cost a lot more to make now a days but surely they dont need to charge up to £50 for a game?
All this in mind I can understand why piracy is such a big problem.
If only the software develpers would lower prices then prehaps piracy wont be such a big problem to them.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:38 AM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

For some reason, its no fun playing with pirated software. I don't know why. Money isn't really an issue for me anyway, since I make more then I spend. I just buy games I know I'm gonna like.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:41 AM   #3
Rolla ZE
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My view is that you can use a pirated program for trial purposes. If you find it useful or it's a fun game then fork out the money and buy it and help support the product. I guess the reason software piracy is so prevelant now is that it is a reflection of society. Everybody wants something for nothing. A lot of people I know will still pirate software even if the prices are reduced.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:22 AM   #4
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Another reason I think piracy is big especially over here in the UK is the lack of software we get. Most games released over in other countries never see the light of day in this country. So most of us don't have the money or know the first thing about importing and so buying a pirate copy is the only option we have.

I wont lie I do own pirate programs (when you are a student on a computing course with no money, and the programs you have to have will cost you over £500 piracy is an ony option) but I agree with you two if I have the money then I dont mind forking it out for a good program that I am going to get good use out of. The trouble with pirate games is the lack of extras you get, like the manual. Some games are impossible to play with out them(take flight simulators for example, with out a manual you probabally wouldn't get the plane of the ground).

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Daniel ]

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: Daniel ]

Old 02-20-2002, 09:40 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well, piracy is very rampant here. lets see now, you calculate this but cd games here is 100 pesos per CD. and 1 dollar is 50 pesos. so a cd game here is only around 2 US dollars. pretty cheap right? i cant help it since original games cost around 1500 pesos or 30 dollars or so and im only a student with a measly allowance so i must make do. the only downside with piracy is that you cant join any online thingie since its a fake. another thing is i know it is illegal. most of my programs in my computer is kinda pirated. (and piracy here is even sold in the malls and you can find it nearly anywhere). that is why im still using win98 since the latest windows support anti-piracy where the pirated software wont work. pirated is good for people with low budget and want to really save but you have to make live without manuals or online multiplayer.

Catch me if you can..
Old 02-20-2002, 09:57 AM   #6
Buttercup
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Software piracy is stealing, and would be unethical even if it weren't illegal. So I'm against it.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:16 AM   #7
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I think we can all agree with the fact that paricy is illigal. But as stated above, sometimes it's something you almost can't avoid. Prices are too high and, for example add ons to games are rather pricy at times. Especially when you look at what they give you.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:45 AM   #8
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Even though I'm not averse to burning a copy for a freind, I don't actually have any pirated software. I found I was wasting money on games I really didn't like. Now, I research the game and it's review heavily before buying. I also play any demos. It's surprising how many games look and sound good, but suck in practice. There are also some games that look as if they'll suck, and yet are pretty good once you play them. I think piracy is related to outrageous software and music prices. $50 for a game and $20 for a CD are a bit pricey. You'll notice music companies havn't started offering music on a song by song for $1-$2 basis. This would skew the market out of their favor. They could no longer force you to buy music you didn't like. Piracy is the only weapon against this monopoly. Why do I say monopoly? There's no competition between labels. CDs are all the same price.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:54 AM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Gaming is a fairly competetive market though. I think when it comes to software, the middle man is taking more than his fair share. By that I mean the distributors. They do no actual programming, but fund the marketing of the intellectual product. They keep the bulk, pay the developers their pittance, pay the govt. their big tax cut and move on to the next victem.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

This thread is against Forum policy. YOu may or may not realize that that many game developers frequent our site, seeing what we think and feel about thier products.

The rules state:

quote:
No Piracy: DO NOT post links to 'warez sites'. Do not discuss pirating games, bragging about pirating or anything else. This will get your account suspended or banned. The only possible thing you CAN discuss is the so-called 'cracks' for no CD operation. SOME Games don't work on some peoples CD-ROM's. This is because of a special copy protection called 'Safe Disc'. But that is it. Anything else is considered pirating.

You have been warned. I cannot lock this thread, but I can suggest you delete it.