Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 03-03-2007, 05:13 AM   #31
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

@Luvian
Well I'm not trolling and i am not in a research mode but basing my discussion on this thread. With your new input I have indeed seen a more balanced of it and thanks for clearing some of the things out for me.

A few things still:
"Oh my god. After all the time I've said it, either you can't read or you're trolling. I have nothing against epic level characters. I have something against level 41+ characters!!!"
Well since 41+ character s ARE indeed part of the Epic handbook and still supported in the D&D world, it still remains a thing of how you like to play the game but sure, I respect where you are comming from, I have never said that I don't, I just reacted how strongly you worded your views which may be overreacted due to the fact that we are still, writing this. not talking.

"I have nothing against epic level characters. I have something against level 41+ characters!!!"
Fair enough, but they are still Epic character above level 41 since the handbooks give you the oppurtunity by adding the line per +1 above lvl 40... Technical argument of what can be and what one thinks is ok.

"My point here is that you can't just add mobs that are over the level cap just like that, in an existing world. It has to be carefully balanced in. You have to re-balance the whole game. Every single npcs, to make sure they make sense in this new unbalanced world."
I agree with you fully. I thas to be carefully considered and made in a way that works.

"Now you're just being insulting. If I just said this would make no sense, why the heck would I leave level 60 characters just sitting around?"
No insulting meant, just answering something from you that I felt sounded very insulting. Clearly we both missed each thers argument on this one.

"o you're saying Elminster is not part of Forgotten Realm? What about Kelben Blackstaff? You're saying when your players hit epic level they just leave everything behind and never come back to their old world? I hope not, I'd feel cheated as a player if a DM tried doing that to me."
I say that in MY game, as a DM I feel free to remove them or not make them an active part of the game if I think they are disrupting the adventure/atmosphere or if I want to change things, then I am free to do that. If I like to play in Forgotten Realms by the books and all the literature and in a world that you can't change that much I can as well. Problems with playing in worlds that are so set as FR and for example Tolkeins world is that it can easily make the characters feel like they play in a world that is static and they can't really make a change because so much set in stone. In OC campaigns like NWN campaigns, you have a set world, but in your own games, you decide yourself. Further discussion about since seems pretty pointless and I refer to the Epic handbook and how to build a working Epic setting for your charaters since that is what I use for inspiration for Epic play/creating on seetings etc.

"Yes, reaching the level cap and simply raising it without re-balancing the whole world is pure powergaming. You simply want your characters to get more powerful and the expense of everything else."
Well, none is arguing against you on that.

"And maybe, you know, instead of blindly joining the thread and starting ranting about perceived attacks against high level campaigns, you could have made some research. If you did you'd realize the last time I talked about D&D I talked about the last epic game I DMed. Which happen to have been my favorite game of all time. This isn't about epic levels. It's about breaking the epic level cap just so you can get some more powergaming in."
Now who is insulting?
Where is your reaseach? Do you know where I stand in this? And where are we talking about powergaming? The powergaming that is mentioned is that you feel that people are powergaming because tehy want to expand the gameplay beyond something that is set. If you allow that sure it can be wrong but it doesn't have to be like that since many consistant worlds can be altered to have challenges still for higher the level 40 characters.

All in all, I was not insulting you Luvian and if you feel that way I'm sorry. But you could also double check your stance since you are comming on pretty strongly in some of your posts here.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #32
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Luvian - I can appreciate your stand on level 41+ play. That said, until you have visited the server I play on and see for yourself how well the DM team has been able to "re-balance" the game for legendary level characters how can you be so quick to criticize it?

You wrote: "My point here is that you can't just add mobs that are over the level cap just like that, in an existing world. It has to be carefully balanced in. You have to re-balance the whole game. Every single npcs, to make sure they make sense in this new unbalanced world."

It is my belief this has been done. Feel free to check it out...you can talk to NPC's and get a feel for the world. The PW is now up to 6 servers and seems to have the largest number of active players on gamespy. They are doing something right.

I guess in a world of "fantasy" I don't understand the closemindedness. :~)

Peace, John.

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote