Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #21
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Today I finally took the time to format my C:, and decided to try some new stuff this time. Among the novelties is the Opera browser. Here are my thoughts after 5 hours of use:
The Good:
Fast. Surprisingly fast. Even more so than Fasterfox(precaching off), which I've been trying out for the past three days. It's sleek and snappy. It's smooth scroll is exactly that, not the jittery implementation of FF or IE. It blocks pop-ups with great efficiency, even better than FF it would seem. Mouse Gestures are really handy and well implemented. I heard it had a built in Torrent client, have to try that one out some time.
The Bad:
Uses Multimedia keys and ctrl+alt+v for some functions. It can be turned off quick, but I just find it odd and clumsy.
The Ugly:
The Top 10 is a bit retarded. No Toolbar for quick bookmarks. Downloads go into a tab rather then a separate window, and takes getting used to. Automatically imports Bookmarks from FF and IE without questions. Was handy in this case, but I can definitely see it as a flaw in some. The security center could use a bit of work. I believe it was much better implemented in Firefox. The Wand tool is also a blessing and a curse. I also miss my FF search bar.
Note that these are FAR from my final words on this. This is just an initial experience with Opera.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #22
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

On the quick bookmarks thing: If you go into View, Panels you can have a constant side-bar with all your bookmarks listed. If you put your favourite bookmarks in the "root" bookmarks folder and assign the others to subfolders, you can have a favourites line out there all the time.

Personally I prefer to do without and just use the bookmarks menu, but it might be something for you.

As far as I know, the FF and Opera search bars are exactly the same, unless you've found some ancient version of Opera that doesn't have a constant search bar to the right of the current URL you're at.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #23
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Did not realize Larry was interested in opera.

This link might help clear some of those issues up.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...ux/945720329/4

For the utmost latest in FF.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...x/1032985422/2

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:09 AM   #24
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Firefox has a better tabbed browsing system, really, and the menues don't look inefficiently placed by default as with IE 7, that'd be why I'd prefer firefox, personally. I enjoy having a "stop" button too. and my favorites being a drop-down rather than a sidebar. Firefox retains the best of IE6 while also having the best of IE7. That's all i really have to argue about it. While it may not be able to run new types of scripted content they do update it regularly (i just got an update right now in fact).

My suggestion to you is to right click on the page with the media and say "view page info" then click the "Media" tab. That will show you all the media on whatever page you do that on. Even certain locked content can then be downloaded for your listening/viewing pleasure or whatever.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #25
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
That's just it...I'm not! I am only interested in honestly learning more about Firefox because of so many people talking positively about it (outside of IW).

I have not yet found a good enough reason to make FF my primary browser, but for the sake of not living blindly and with possibly a lesser tool to browse the internet, I am giving FF a fair chance to prove itself. I am in no rush, and am taking my time with this investigation.

However, Opera will not be on the agenda to study at this time. I can only do comparisons of IE to FF for now.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #26
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:

As for the slow download... that could be due to caching the images. Are they as slow the second time you go there?
Oops, sorry I did not answer this earlier. The cache is helping the pages load correctly now.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #27
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:

That's just it...I'm not! I am only interested in honestly learning more about Firefox because of so many people talking positively about it (outside of IW).

I have not yet found a good enough reason to make FF my primary browser, but for the sake of not living blindly and with possibly a lesser tool to browse the internet, I am giving FF a fair chance to prove itself. I am in no rush, and am taking my time with this investigation.

However, Opera will not be on the agenda to study at this time. I can only do comparisons of IE to FF for now.
[/QUOTE]personally, IMO its more of a brand thing as both seem to have the same capability meaning same tabbed browsing, surfing.

Security I dont know about that. they have always said FF was more secure, i dont know. I do like thier way in the downloading window.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #28
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, Explorer when just surfing for news, visiting pages I know I read articles etc on and for banking. FF for hardcore file hunting, mods and longer seesions of surfing since I have Foxy-tunes that controls my Winamp via the browser and all the other plugins that make really long intese surfing a no biggie.

IE7 just looks nice when you are reading up on news or longer articles. IMO

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #29
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Question about FF. How do I disable Quicktime as the primary video player? I only want QT when I actually go to Apple.com to watch trailers. Any other time, I prefer WMP.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #30
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Take a look at Tools, Options, Content, Manage file types. Specify what you'd like to use by file type, and away you go.

That won't let you decide to use WMP for .qt files in one place and QT for them in others, though. Not sure how you'd handle that...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote