Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-25-2001, 11:55 AM   #1
Skunk
Banned User

Anyone tried this?

When you reach hell, you have a series of 'Tests'. Anyone who has played this thoroughly knows that the 'Evil' path always gives the best rewards and the 'good' path gives either 'mediocre' rewards or (worse) penalties.

Question: Suppose I was a Paladin and take the evil path. My alignment would change to evil and I would lose all of my innate abilities. But, if I put on the Helmet of Opposite Alignment, I would become 'good' again. But would I regain my innate abilities once more?

I'm curious to see whether I can get away from Hell with all of the (best) benefits to carry over to TOB...
Old 10-25-2001, 12:06 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

*cough* *cough*

Actually, the good path gives better rewards.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:10 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, here we go. The complete list.

To be good, or to be evil?

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Old 10-25-2001, 12:34 PM   #4
Skunk
Banned User

Well, in truth, you really want a mix, but overall I think that evil is better.
Lets take it from the top using your original post (because they are NEARLY accurate):

Sarevok, Trial of Wrath-

I'm good! I get +1 to WIS and CHA!
I'm evil! I get +2 to STR!
--------
Ummmm... I think the +2 to strength is better because this is a special kind of bonus which works on top of any modifiers you already have. ie, if you are wearing girdle of hill giant strength (strength = 19), your total strength will equal = 21! I think that this is a better bonus for your Paladin, don't you?

Trapped Genie, Trial of Greed-

I'm good! I get +2 to my saving throws!
I'm evil! I get +15 to my Hp and gain the item, Blackrazor!
--------
Blackrazor is the best sword in SOA. Saving throw bonus is kind of cool, but your saving throws get so low in TOB that it hardly matters anymore. Add on the hefty magic resistence that you get with Carsomyr (50%), and I think that I prefer to own the Blackrazor...

Trial of Selfishness-

I'm good! I get -2 to Hp, -1 to DEX and +10% to my Magic Resistance!
I'm evil! I get +2 to my AC!
--------
Correct for the good path but with the evil path you also get the 10% magic resistence bonus! Now I think that the evil path is the clear winner here over the PENALTIES from taking the 'good' path

Beholders, Trial of Fear-

I'm good! I gain immunity to +1 weapons and less.
I'm evil! I gain +2 to CON and gain the item, Nymph Cloak( grants immunity to Fear).
--------
Have you noticed how EVERYONE in TOB has a +2 weapon or better?? Kind of a useless benefit, that one. So the +2 to Con and the nymph cloak are definately better gains!

Black Dragon, Trial of Pride-

I'm good! I gain +20% to Fire, Cold and Electrical Resistance!
I'm evil! I gain +200,000 Xp and the items, Ring of Protection +2 and Robe of Evil Magi.

Finally, here is one place where the good path is definately the best path...

===================================

But despite all of this, it still doesn't answer my original question....

[This message has been edited by Skunk (edited 10-25-2001).]
Old 10-25-2001, 12:44 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

*ding-ding* Wrong, you do not gain the +10% Magic Resistance if you follow the evil path in the Trail of Selfishness. If you did, you encounted a bug.

The tough opponents have +2 and better weapons, but did you know, most opponents have normal weapons? Bone Fiends, Shadows, Poison Mists, Vampire Mists, Wraiths, Yuan-Ti, Spiders, Yara-Shura's men, etc... ...

Believe me, that immunity is really worth it.

Blackrazor is a good weapon, but you have plenty of uber-weapons in ToB, the +2 to saving throws really helps when you deal with spells that incur a saving throw penalty.

As for the Trial of Wrath, it depends on your class. Mages and Clerics will want to take the good path, warrior types will prefer the STR.

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 10-25-2001).]
Old 10-25-2001, 12:50 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

And just to prove that I am not making this up, here is a walkthrough that show that taking the evil path for the Trial of Selfishness does not confer +10% Magic Resistance

http://www.walkthrough-online.com/gameselect/balburs_gate2/BGwalk/chapter7/ninehells.h tm

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 10-25-2001).]
Old 10-25-2001, 10:02 PM   #7
Skunk
Banned User

hmmm... I do seem to remember getting that magic resistance - but i don't have any saves to confirm it with myself. Have to wait till i get there I suppose.

By the way, here is a walkthrough that does confirm the magic resistence with the evil path:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursga...uests/hell.php

================================

In the end though, whether I get the magic resistance or not doesn't really matter... I just want to know whether wearing the Helmet of Opposite Alignment will restore my innate abilities so that I can 'pick and choose' my evil/good paths...
(But thanks anyway for the tips Dundee Slaytern)

Can anyone answer this for me?
Old 10-25-2001, 10:26 PM   #8
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

I'm pretty sure that the gamebanshee is wrong... even though the always seem to have the correct info