Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2001, 10:10 PM   #21
Griever
Manshoon

Atari was like the best before, until nintendo and sega dominated it right?

------------------

Tifa has her Cloud, Squall his Rinoa, Sephiroth?? hehe
Old 03-08-2001, 06:05 AM   #22
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Did anyone else have a Sinclair Spectrum? I had one of those when I was (a lot) younger.

It had a rubber keyboard which constantly used to break, but you could mend it by gluing bits of tinfoil to the circuit-thingy underneath!!

Ohh, and the little cassette player that used to sit by the side of it, squeaking away for 20 minutes to load 'The Hobbit' and then the load would fail at the last minute because the tape had warped.

Text adventures were my favorite, I used to write them too (in Basic). The worst bit about them was trying to get the syntax right - you knew that the rope HAD to be tied to the cart, but after trying 40 permutations of "TIE ROPE TO CART" you would give up in disgust. And then the keyboard would break....

Oh yes, those were the days ????? (not!)

Damn I forgot that one!!

My friend had one of thoose! We played Defender or something you no Galaxy was it name, you know a starship fefeating waves of enemies LOL,, hehe that was cool!

My friend had a really early TV-game, with fak wood panels and s game with two large dots shooting small steerable dots at each other, had a flashy cover with two fighting tanks hehe.. 8 volors or so supported LOL..

------------------

::HOWLING WOLFGIR THE MAD WOLF::
Old 03-08-2001, 06:13 AM   #23
Sir_Tainly

Guess I was priviledged I had the ZX+, the version of the rubber keyboard spectrum, but in a plastic case with such luxuries as a reset button and some extra keys.

------------------

Old 03-08-2001, 07:08 AM   #24
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The first game system I ever had was the Atari - anyone remember "Combat"???

My first computer was an Apple IIe with a green monitor, and my first game on that was Karateka. That was also where I played my first ever RPG - Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar!! I got Wastelands after that. I loved those games so much that when everyone else was upgrading to IBM PC/XTs (remember those - they had all of 64kb of RAM!) I refused because they didn't have those games for the IBM.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-08-2001, 07:45 AM   #25
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Long long ago, in a city far far away (Syracuse NY), when dh & I were first married and ohhh so poor, our bi-weekly date would be to take $5 each and go to the video arcade to play pac man and Gauntlet. So in '87 when we discovered that we could play pac man on our computer, well, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!! LOL But the most fun was when we played "Maniac Mansion", "Day of the Tentacle" and "Sam & Max hit the road". It was about that time I discovered (it's all blurry.. soooooo long ago & these aging minds yanno ) "Betrayal at Krondor". I had just read all of Raymond E. Feists books. VERY exciting! I don't know how many times I replayed that!!

One game we wish they'd remake is "Darklands". You had to learn so much and be truly, consistently honorable to advance in that game. *sigh* Those were the days.

------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.

[This message has been edited by bilqis (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old 03-08-2001, 08:23 AM   #26
JJ/newbie

JJ strolling down memory lane, oops, trips over age, fall flat on face. The first computer I ever used was called a decuwriter - attached to a vax by phone, you sat and typed at a keyboard, then waited for a response to be typed back at you. Oregon Trail - you have been attacked by indians - you had to scramble to type "BANG" and hit return as fast as possible. or, like your oxen have died, you must go hunting or your party will starve. Then there was star trek, like you had to go hunting Klingons, and print out your star field map, type in the x,y, coords to fire your photon torpedoes. or, nfl football, where you picked the plays like short run, tricky run, short pass, long bomb. (I think those were the only choices!) - or were you guys refering to the jurassic age of computers?

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-08-2001, 08:41 AM   #27
Tobbin
Red Dragon

God, this is all bringing back memories. First computer that I ever owned was the (TR)a(S)hy 80 Model I. It was upgraded from 4k of memory to 16k. I had this cool tape deck drive that took about a half an hour to load a 4k program. No disc drives and a 150baud modem. No k baud modem, just 150 baud. Well, I quickly outgrew this one and upgraded to a (TR)a(S)hy 80 Model IV. Oh, I was in heaven. I had a 20Meg harddrive on that one with 16k of memory and DUAL floppies. Both were 5 1/4". Gone were the half an hour load times (well, at first). It took between 5 and 10 minutes to load then. The display was monochrome, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. I could even go up to 320 x 200 resolution. Could go up to 80 characters x 24 characters on the display. Man, was that awesome or what. I could bank switch to get up to 640x480 in resolution, but it took an engineering degree to program for it (it used 2 separate areas in memory for the graphics). Oh yeah, those were the days. First game I ever played on there was frogger. First roleplaying game was Bard's Tale. First sci-fi game was StarFlight (I just got a 'cracked' copy of this, cause I thought it was such a cool game.) Actually, the game starflight is where I had the idea about the foreign thread. You see, they had alien races that spoke different languages. You have this comm officer, right? Well, she starts off not knowing anything. As you progress in the game, you can "buy" them skills. Skills start off at 50 (I think) and go up to 250. Well, when you talk to aliens and your skill is really low, the computer shows gibberish. As you get higher skills, this gibberish is translated to something you can understand. When you hit 250, you can always make it out. S'kind of how I feel the foreign thread could work if given time. At first, we are all 50's, but as we talk back and forth, we can raise that up to 250. Anyways, it was a really cool game. My first REAL game though was Leisure Suit Larry. Anyone remember that game? ANYONE? LOL. I busted a gut on that one. I'll hold off more for later.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL

[This message has been edited by Tobbin (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old 03-08-2001, 08:45 AM   #28
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi TOBBIN!

yep sure does remeber larry! LOL
hehe..

Hey I see your sigs are not showing, same as mine..

------------------

::HOWLING WOLFGIR THE MAD WOLF::
Old 03-08-2001, 09:05 AM   #29
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I just found out why mine weren't showing up. Tripod just kicked me off. That's ok. I'm going to put the files in my AOL account and try that. It's a paid account, so it shouldn't have those problems. To those that I was hosting the pics for, I will move them there and give out links. Might take me a bit, but we'll get them working again. I figured the Tripod thing was too good to last. Da*n.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL

[This message has been edited by Tobbin (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old 03-08-2001, 09:12 AM   #30
Moiraine
Anubis

This is the killing thread that makes you feel so old, isn't it ?

I didn't start playing computer games very young - I was 21, and like you, Memnie, my first computer game was Ultima IV. The very first image I keep was my boyfriend (now husband) playing Ultima III on our green-and-black M24 -he was getting out from a boat and attacking Lord British's castle. Ultima IV I played on a new PC, in 4 colors ! At the time, we had 2 PCs, and multiplayer games did not exist, so we made a race, playing day and night during a full week (life was so cool when we were students !), exchanging hints on quests, and trying to be the first to finish the game ! I don't remember who won, BTW, but after that we played Ultima V, Ultima VI and Ultima VII the same way.
We played a lot of computer games after that, I prefer adventure games, RPGs and games like Railroad Tycoon, Sim City or Age of Empires.
Yes, we also played all the Leisure Suit Larry ! So cool. I remember spending a long time in the one when Larry strolls a lane near the sea on rollers, the music was so cool !

BTW, anybody remembers Zani Golf ? So cool when you had to stroke pass the giant bumping hamburger !

------------------