Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-04-2004, 05:02 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

WOHOOO! Hahaha, beat the portugese, Danforth (TO) is going to go crazy, while college is NOT going to be happy. Still I'm happy for Greece? Any fellow Greek fans here?
Old 07-04-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
uss
20th Level Warrior

I'm doing fine here, at the time of seeing the result, pulled half my hair off, thank you very much. [img]smile.gif[/img]

*Sigh* I seriously think they didn't deserve to win. As I said in the Euro 2004 thread, their overly defensive playing style seems quite unfair to me.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:20 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Greece won, football lost.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Can't agree with you more.

By the way, anyone saw that football fanatic who got onto the field, threw a Barcelona flag at Figo, then ran towards the Greece goal and jumped into it? Guess he was mad at Figo since he left FC Barcelona long ago, and that he didn't hit a goal during this game. Can't get much more disrespectful than that. Poor Figo. [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]

[ 07-04-2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: uss ]
Old 07-04-2004, 07:15 PM   #5
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

I didn't think much of Greece prior to seeing their semifinal vs Czech Republic, but after seeing how well organized they are, how well they work together as a team, and how unbelievably secure they seem in their game, I have to say they truly deserved to win this championship.

Football certainly didn't lose anything, why in the world would you say something like that? Compared to the hapless Portuguese team with half a dozen super stars who accomplished absolutely zip, watching Greece playing their own game to such perfection was pure enjoyment, I seriously doubt any other team even came close to the consistently high quality and flow of Greece's passing game in this tournament for instance.

Sure Portugal had the completely irrelevant advantage in possession, but they produced very little dangerous in the way of offense, and the few chances they did produce weren't exactly stunning displays of great footballing. The Greek offense was far more appealing, I mean, christ, the passing game just outside the Portuguese penalty area that led up to their first good chance, in the 33rd minute I think, was simply stunning.

In my book, Greece deserved this championship title 10 times more than all the top nations like France, England, Spain, Italy and Holland, that completely failed to live up to their expectations. Not even Czech Republic looked that good when put against the most well oiled team machine of the tournament.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:06 PM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Some areas of Sydney and Melbourne have been closed down to allow celabrations. With the Olympics next month this will truely be Greece's year to remember.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-04-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
I didn't think much of Greece prior to seeing their semifinal vs Czech Republic, but after seeing how well organized they are, how well they work together as a team, and how unbelievably secure they seem in their game, I have to say they truly deserved to win this championship.

Football certainly didn't lose anything, why in the world would you say something like that? Compared to the hapless Portuguese team with half a dozen super stars who accomplished absolutely zip, watching Greece playing their own game to such perfection was pure enjoyment, I seriously doubt any other team even came close to the consistently high quality and flow of Greece's passing game in this tournament for instance.

Sure Portugal had the completely irrelevant advantage in possession, but they produced very little dangerous in the way of offense, and the few chances they did produce weren't exactly stunning displays of great footballing. The Greek offense was far more appealing, I mean, christ, the passing game just outside the Portuguese penalty area that led up to their first good chance, in the 33rd minute I think, was simply stunning.

In my book, Greece deserved this championship title 10 times more than all the top nations like France, England, Spain, Italy and Holland, that completely failed to live up to their expectations. Not even Czech Republic looked that good when put against the most well oiled team machine of the tournament.
Why would i say something like that ? Well, let's see.... perhaps because they hang around their own goalkeeper roughly 85 minutes per game, and every time managed to score a goal on one lucky break ? Because they were the most boring team in this tournament ? They obviously feel good in the role of underdog, because then they can let the opponent make all the plays, they were lucky against Spain, France and the Czech republic, all three matches they deserved to lose, but luck, and only luck, decided otherwise. Doesn't it strike you as odd that they lost the one and only game in which they were actually favourites to win ? It's because they cannot take control of a game, they don't have the talent for it. They do however have a well organised defense, but unfortunately not many people respect defensive football. That's why football lost.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:18 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Can't agree with you more.

By the way, anyone saw that football fanatic who got onto the field, threw a Barcelona flag at Figo, then ran towards the Greece goal and jumped into it? Guess he was mad at Figo since he left FC Barcelona long ago, and that he didn't hit a goal during this game. Can't get much more disrespectful than that. Poor Figo. [img]graemlins/1disgust.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]I'm not so sure if that was particularly against Figo, this was the same nutter that once ran up the racetracks in a Formula 1 grand prix. It must be his hobby or something.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
Ehrys
Manshoon

Well... not sure about the commentaries here about how well any one team played against another... from what I've seen of the games, and with Greece WINNING employing their strategy, I'd have to say that football is evolving beyond raw-individual talent. Geez... just look at the "superstars" on each of those big teams that lost this year and their inability to live up to their $$ values. Teamwork and strategy make the best game no matter what. If I wanted to watch a game with single superstars, I'd watch boxing.

Not rooting for Greece... just telling it like I see it.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:02 AM   #10
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

I am part Greek, so naturally I would be cheering on the Greeks.
That's great that they won the game, they haven't won anything in a while.
I think that this is a very good year for Greece, you know with them holding the Olympics and then them winning this [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-05-2004, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Lauren ]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."