Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-12-2000, 05:30 AM   #1
Cliff

I have an P3 500 with an Elsa Erazor 3 TNT 2 and a Voodoo 2 with 8 MB as a secondary and 128 MB.

I can start the game, I get into the ingame screen, I can change graphics and sound and everything, but the game screen itself stays BLACK. I canīt play the game at all. I tried it on other machines and it works perfectly - but not on my own computer...

Has anyone heard about this problem ????

Old 11-12-2000, 09:44 AM   #2
Bwright

Are you using Windows 2000?

Old 11-13-2000, 08:13 AM   #3
Cliff

I us 98SE, the problem could be the AVI, that is used to present the village. I can only get it running with quicktime, since the MS Media Player canīt find a codec to get it working. Basically the game starts, I have the game screen, I can change the options, but the main field, where the village should be displayed, stays dark. I upgraded to the newest quicktime version and linked the .AVI with quicktime but it does not help. Right now I am at a loss.

Old 11-13-2000, 10:29 AM   #4
Sloth

My bet is that this is the problem. There is probably some external call being made by the program to one of those missing MS codecs. I would try downloading the newest version of Media Plaver and installing it. I think they are on version 7.0

Old 11-13-2000, 03:07 PM   #5
Cliff

Thatīs the problem, I already have 7.0 but it canīt download the codec from the MS website. I have to use Quicktime to play .AVI files.

Old 11-13-2000, 03:22 PM   #6
Cliff

I installed DX 8. Now I can play AVIīs with the media player. But it still does not work in the game.

Old 11-13-2000, 09:19 PM   #7
xenotoca

Eldurin has answered this Q before but to save any searching I have posted his answer for you below..............hope this helps
Your problem is a confirmed Windows 2000 problem with how the town AVI files are read. No one running Windows 2000 has access to this buildings. FOrtunately, there is a fix that will take a little work on your part. Go to the following site and convert your town AVI files to an uncompress AVI. Note that this will make them huge, but you will be able to play the game.
http://www.geocities.com/virtualdub/index.html

Now of course yours may not be a Win 2000 prob if you are running 98se. I had a problem with the game not installing correctly so try an uninstall and reinstall. If it wont uninstall delete the Activision folder then usig the Add / Delete option from the control panel delete Wizards and Warriors. Set settings to 640 x 480 colour to 16bit and close all TSR`s (the ones in the window on your right in the task bat) especially any virus checker. Now reinstall and set the Graphic options in the game to software. If the game now runs you can experiment with the graphic setings but from the results posted various success with the same card is variable.