Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

In memory of those who died and those who lost loved ones one year ago.

I recall several hours of gut burning fear as my wife and I tried to contact my brother (Yorick) and my wife's best friend, both in NYC; and the relief in finally hearing from them.

We remember Armistace(sp?) Day, here we have Anzac Day as well for our country's soldiers and war victims. I hope today we can focus on the value every human life holds and remember not to take anything for granted.

I am alive today, it is a good day.

Take care everyone!

Leonis
Old 09-10-2002, 09:24 PM   #2
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Here, here.

To the thousands of lives lost in a few senseless acts of madness, may you rest in peace.

To the thousands more bereft by the loss of loved ones, may you find peace and carry on with life & living.

To the millions more who watched with shock & horror, may we never ever witness such inhumanity ever again.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:33 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My uncle was at the Pentagon that day, and had left about 30 minutes prior to the third crash that hit near where he worked inside. Being a high ranking officer, he had been summoned away to a war conference room after the second crash and was in a meeting with other officers.

I remember our family anxiously awaiting his phone call...to ensure that he was okay. I even made a post here on IW about it...that same day. Thanks to all those that answered that post in my interest.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:06 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I work about two miles from the Pentagon, saw the plane go overhead that was on its way to crashing into the Pentagon. Remember the panicked traffic leaving out of the area too, everyhone was scared, thinking it wasn't over and more planes were going to come in, or bombs were going to go off. Was total chaos, but most people seemed to be rational and calm, which I was happy about, and proud of as well.

I'm glad that tomorrow wasn't made a "holiday" that'd have been weird. Holidays are usually reserved for celebrations, and 9-11 isn't really what I'd call something to celebrate. Plus I don't think we Americans should hide in our houses and not go about day-to-day life, as that only shows the terrorists that they succeeded in terrorising us mentally.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 09-11-2002, 04:51 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

I just posted in the "Where were you" thread about when we heard your wonderful news that Yorick was alright! Didn't know your wife's best friend was in the area as well. What a horrible fear that must have been Leonis *hugs*
Old 09-11-2002, 05:00 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Indeed.
My friend's cousin was one of the firefighters who lost his life.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:59 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Amen, Leonis, amen.

I too, worried for Yorick as well as a friend who was working in one of the buildings near the towers that were damaged by debris from the impact of the planes.

I was so relieved to hear Yorick and she were alright.

[ 09-11-2002, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 09-11-2002, 07:31 AM   #8
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Leonis,
I remember that day like it was two weeks ago. I came out of my work place to see the Pentagon billowing smoke in the distance... The mass confusion trying to get out of the city, sadness, and unbelief. ):

I would add that today, here and now, is a much different attitude thow. Strength, courage, and a new awareness of our lives and how all of us grew up alot in the realization of the means used in an attack on our country.
I would like to add that the people are out in force around the Washington DC this morning, missile batteries deployed at the Navy Annex close to the Pentagon with a yellow alert status issued last night. All is well and no one is staying home, we are all remembering our fallen in many different ways. The Castle bell will ring 3 times in a moment of silience at the exact time of our countrys changing moment.

-S-
Old 09-11-2002, 08:55 AM   #9
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

My heart goes out to all the victims, their families, their friends. Be strong, and may those who met an untimely death rest in peace forever.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:02 AM   #10
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Hear Hear Leonis.

I spent the morning talking with Cloudy on MSN, and we were overjoyed to hear that Yorick was well. We both had been worried about him, LadyZ, and everyone else we knew in the area of the attacks. It was amazing to see the outpouring of caring and concern on IW, on the news, and all over the world.

To all those who died in the attacks, and all those that sacrificed themselves so that others might live...We will never forget!

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"