Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2000, 04:14 AM   #1
Growler

I am an enthusiastic player of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, and no matter what, I would always, always get a dwarf in my party, preferably a dwarven fighter.

Why, they are tough, grumpy, ugly, smelly and pack a lousy attitude. All these add up to a very attractive character class. My favorite character in my party is this Dwarven Fighter with 18/00 strength, 17 dexeterity and 19 Constitution. I gave him the Lonesome Road and a constitution drink (21 constitution) and he is unstoppable with 144 hit points at level 9...he virtually slaughters any giant he meets (compare this to a tank!). In conclusion, nothing beats a dwarven fighter.

I know that everybody has their favorite AD&D race and character class, why not open our views and discuss... :>
Old 08-03-2000, 08:03 AM   #2
Erekose
The Magister

I really do prefer the company of elves because they are very effective fighter-mages. In AD&D (D&D now i guess) i have an elven ranger but i do appreciate having a dwarf in the party for the hp, con and saves. And someone to make 'short' jokes about. Cheers
Erekose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2000, 02:44 PM   #3
Wretched

Back in my pen and paper days, my favorite character was a half-elven Ranger. Half-elves are outcasts from both human and elven societies, and thus become very self-sufficient. The Ranger embodies this type of attitude perfectly.

In IWD though, I'd have to say that my favorite character was my human Fighter, who wielded a massive greatsword. He pretty much single-handedly defeated all the enemies in the Idol battle, after all the other characters (except the Mage/Thief, who hid!) had died. He was just an unstoppable monster, slaying Greater Mummies left and right, before finally taking The Idol 1-on-1 and winning.
Old 08-03-2000, 05:58 PM   #4
slag-king

Hmm, my favorite is the Half-Elf Ranger. S/he just kicks "buttocks"! I also like my Dwarf fighter...hehe. He's running down the hallway with a battleaxe (5 prof slots) yelling his battle songs! By Moradin's hammer! Dwarves are an enigmatic group, perhaps that half-elf of mine will keep him in line! And what's that scrimitar that has an extra attack? And where? I want it for my Ranger!

I will tell you what I hate...Elf Mages...jeez, what's up with that 4 points per round hp increase?!? Mages so frail that they can't keep up with the fighters?

Paladins are pretty useful as well. I think I'll use them even more in BGII or NWN!
Old 08-05-2000, 03:55 PM   #5
BlueCross

I love elves... big ones, small ones, strong ones, weak ones... I almost always make an all-elf party at least once for every RPG I play.

The only thing I really can't do in IWD is have an Elven Druid (or has that been changed?) and a Bard (which I never play). Oh, and they can't become Paladins either but no loss for me...

Elven Rangers are my favorite race/class combo. I always give them 2 '*' in Bows and Large Swords (elves get bonuses for these weapons anyway so they really rock when they get a great Long Sword or Bow).

There is no doubt in my mind that I will play BG2 first using the Ranger-Archer kit. I hope that game isn't late!

My second favorite is an Elven-Thief. Elves tend to make crappy thieves as far as thieving skill points at start but at least they get the extra dexterity point.

Elves rule, Dwarves drool!
Old 08-05-2000, 11:04 PM   #6
Malakith

I agree i have an elven ranger in my party (always have done ever since Baldurs gate) called Draiden and he is level 12 with 2 skills in large swords and 2 in Bows , he can also use spears but never mind that, point is he uses the Scimitar +3 Vallient that you get off marketh (+ 1 attack per round) and a long bow +4 hammering which gives u 4 atacks per rounds so he gets 4 atacks with his scimitar and 5 with the bow, combine this with an armour class of -11 (no shield so get +1 attack) and 112 hit point and he is UNSTOPABLE, wel alright he is damn good.....and if you haste him...it's a site to behold.
Old 08-06-2000, 05:15 AM   #7
Growler

Gad, I didn't know the response will be so great...thanks a lot, guys.

I quite agree with BlueCross, I always have a elven ranger/fighter in my party, as they are the guys having enough strength and dexeterity to draw the heavy bows and wield the long swords, unlike halfling fighters, who just do not have enough meat. It seems like that elves and half-elves are the most popular group, because they are a beautiful, sexy and slim people.

Biologically, the problem with elves is that they never reproduce fast enough and many races are after their blood, including dwarves, humans, orcs, ogres, goblins, etc.

Anyone tried a Dwarven fighter/cleric, I would say that they rock too...(and they really are tuff as rock). A gnomish illusionist/thief also rock...I donno why, I just love those shorties in my party...
Old 08-09-2000, 12:33 AM   #8
BlueCross

Hmmm... about those elves reproducing slowly. Maybe I could help out with that...

As to dwarf parties... I'm not about half-way through with an all-dwarven party. Well, not really. Dwarves can't be mages so I subbed a Gnome in who thinks he's a dwarf. The other dwarfs hate him because he is such a jerk but they let him tag along because he does have some useful skills (Haste, Fireball, etc.).

So I have two Dwarven fighters (specializing in Axes), one Dwarf Cleric, one Dwarf Thief and then the Gnomish Dwarf mage (all males, which is VERY unusual for any of my parties). It is really funny to see these little guys scuttle about. The main Dwarf fighter has a strength of 18/91 with four '*' in Axe and he just found some axe that does a 50% chance of fire damage. Really takes care of those trolls!
Old 08-10-2000, 12:42 AM   #9
sattymike

Elves elves Ellllves... my gosh **laughs** I cut my D&D teeth on a dwarven fighter and I've been with them ever since. Tough as nails, can drink all night and fight all day and shed pithy elven magic as easily as shafts from strong dwarven plate. While Rangers and Paladins can certainly dish out the pain, no-one can take it and give it right back to the extent of an axe wielding Dwarvish Lord, always coming forward like an impending Doom and often left as the last stone standing.

I just started my second game with an almost identical party as Bluecross Those little badgers can brawl I kid you not-- but they walk sooooo bloody sloooowly. I originally gave the dwarf in my first party the Boots of Speed just so he could keep up with the rest of those long legged ganglers and galumphing galoots!

I will always love dwarves best: from the grey haired, scarred faced elder warriors to the devote fire and brimstone fighter/clerics (a truly lethal combo Growler- and man do they crusade against humanoids!), and from the courageous dour Dwarven Lord beneath the mountain, to the red-bearded cunning Dwarven thieves playing fiddles and swilling ale within the caves.
Old 08-10-2000, 06:21 AM   #10
Growler

Finally, there is someone who agrees with me!
Thanks a lot, sattymike! Growl...Growl...(I don't call myself Growler for nothing, and dwarves growl a lot...)

I like dwarves as fighters. Most of the fighter sound schemes, Male Fighter 1,2,3 and 5 all fits them nicely. 4 is a nice one for Paladins.

However, it is quite disappointing to hear that there is no Male Elvish Fighter Sound. That is why DWARVES must be the no. 1 choice for your FIGHTERS. I also like dwarves because they are the ones making the ultimate axes, 2 handed axes, crossbows, plate mail, hammers, maces...the list can go on. These are the most important weapons if you wanna make your enemies bleed and prevent yourself from bleeding. Dwarves have the idea of overkilling (making the enemies burst into chunky bits of flesh). Plus, they are among the first race to use the arquebus (primitive rifles). Today I just discovered that my dwarven fighter had not been poisoned since the starting of the game...I salute you, War Thanes...

I am quite excited that there will be a berserker/battlerager kit in BG2. I WILL make a Dwarven Battlerager and FILL the air with the incoherent battleraging chants.