Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-05-2002, 04:23 AM   #11
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Baldurs Gate is far superior to IWD in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:27 AM   #12
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

Yeah, I like the way you can choose your path in Baldur's Gate, in ID you have to do A then B then C... etc etc, that is sh**
Old 11-05-2002, 04:33 AM   #13
Lavindathar
Harper

But do you not think IWD had a cool atmosphere, whereas BG1 didn't?
Old 11-05-2002, 04:36 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Warhammer:
The big advantage in the IWDs compared to the BGs is that you can create a whole party of 6, instead of being limited to pre-generated, like'm-or-not recruitable NPCs. I hate Imoen, Minsk & Co (*runs for cover*), and found it great to be able to make a whole party entirely from scratch. ~~
Actually, you can create your whole party in BG2 as well. I personally have played a party with a Robin Hood theme, while others have their LotR parties and such. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It is a great misconception that you cannot create your own party in BG2.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:38 AM   #15
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Sodomatic Goat:
Yeah, I like the way you can choose your path in Baldur's Gate, in ID you have to do A then B then C... etc etc, that is sh**
On the other hand, when your mission is to save the world it seems silly to run around delivering love letters, saving cows, killing rats in cellars, and other FedEx stuff...
Old 11-05-2002, 04:39 AM   #16
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

I don't know ID just annoyed me so I stopped playing and started BG I again, I think the atmosphere in BG I is good enough, but better in BG II, maybe I should start up ID again when I have finished BG II....
The reason why I don't like ID that much can also have something to do with the fact that I had just played through Fallout II, which is really moody and atmospheric and the control system is very different.
But the main reason I don't like ID that much is that there is no freedom compared to BG.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 AM   #17
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

It is a great misconception that you cannot create your own party in BG2.
You are right! I did that myself (Soloing multiplayer mode). I completely forgot! Silly me.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:42 AM   #18
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
But do you not think IWD had a cool atmosphere, whereas BG1 didn't?
IWD does have some superior points, like the fact that their Priests, Bards, Rangers and Paladins are more useful and fun to play with. They suffer in the Mage department though, which is where BG2 will shine more. However, IWD does not have a level 20 cap on spells as BG2 has.

Music-wise, I prefer IWD's score. They win flat-out on scenery as well. I like the ending too, it was much, much superior to SoA's ending in my humble opinion. Endings with an unexpected twist are always the best.

Opponents wise, BG2 has more variety, and has more high-level opponents. Items wise, BG2 has more but IWD places more value on them compared to BG2. +3 weapons are a dime a dozen in BG2, but fantastic to have in IWD.

I am sure there are more points, but these are what comes to mind now.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:00 AM   #19
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The bottom line is: Icewind Dale (and Icewind Dale 2) is a dungeon-oriented hack n' slash action-RPG. Baldur's Gate is a character/plot-driven socially-interactive adventure-RPG. If you love RPG's for the joy of developing wizards and warriors and doing battle in an epic sword n' sorcery environment then Icewind Dale is for you. If you love RPG's for creating individualized characters and endulging in involving thematic storytelling in a socially complex fantasy realm then have yourself a ball with Baldur's Gate.

Personally, I'm a Baldur's Gate man when it comes to the crunch, but I don't mind IWD either. I paid full retail price for both games and don't regret either purchases for a second.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:14 AM   #20
Gromnir
Dungeon Master

I personally think that Baldurs gate is better than ID but that's because I was introduced into the RPG genre with it. I don't have anything against ID but Baldurs gate has a deeper plot, better defined characters and tantalising twists.No offense meant to ID fans though!
Thinking of death while living,<br />This is the warrior\'s way<br />thinking of pain when in pleasure.<br />keeps you alive from day to day<br /><br />Time is a great teacher, and then kills all it\'s students.<br /><br />DJG\'s first official helper and second in command. <br /><br />